Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A personal example of how full gear can save your ass! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=17604)

101lifts2 01-02-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438390)
My wife is not some blubbering woman. I think your experience with broads in your past are fucking with you, making you think all girls are whack. And I'm active duty military. I get my commander to sign off on a high-risk activity letter, like I had before the wreck, and I'm good to go. I don't have to worry about paying for medical. It's more like you're attacking my excuses to pick an argument. You make it sound like I'm giving it up altogether and will never ride street again. I have a plan...and it involves letting some time pass before I hit the streets. I'm totally fine with it. Will I miss riding with my buds? You're god damn right. But I'm doing the right thing right now. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

Wait...no I'm not.

Dude he is just fucking around...he does this all the time just to argue over nonsense. redflip

I give you 4 months and ur back rippin it up again. :lol:

Amber Lamps 01-02-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 438435)
I think I know what comes after death....

the cessation of taxes...well, once the estate taxes are paid of course...:lol:

Amber Lamps 01-02-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 438438)
Dude he is just fucking around...he does this all the time just to argue over nonsense. redflip

I give you 4 months and ur back rippin it up again. :lol:

He knows that, there is no way that he's taking this seriously. Heck, I even told him before hand that I was going to argue with him.:lol: I agree with you about him being back on the street in no time, with the SO provision, of course. :lol:

DLIT 01-02-2011 07:16 PM

Guys, I already sold all my street fairings. I'm serious about being off the road for a couple seasons, at least.

DLIT 01-02-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman (Post 438417)
Ok, first off, Glad you made it through that fuckstorm of a crash. the bike looks to be totally baked. I know you said that it didn't burn, but from the pics it sure looks like it did.

Secondly, I remember my last wreck had the most rash I ever had in a bike wreck and a broken wrist. I thought that I was done too. I got the bike repaired and am back on two wheels now for the past 5 years now with only close calls. (Knock on wood) However, if you are not gonna ride on the road again thats your choice and yours alone. As for the cruiser thing, like Gas said, he has enjoyed it and hasn't looked back. And also like he said he has met some more interesting people since, like ME.:dvrofl:

Lastly, mend well and learn from what happened and try not to rinse and repeat. Take care and God bless in whatever you decide

Thanks. And for the record, in regards to my cruiser thing. You guys have seen this already, right??

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/...w-color-scheme

Amber Lamps 01-02-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438474)
Guys, I already sold all my street fairings. I'm serious about being off the road for a couple seasons, at least.

Uhuh, we'll see...:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438478)
Thanks. And for the record, in regards to my cruiser thing. You guys have seen this already, right??

I'm guessing that it's not crash proof...:wink:

JoJoYZF 01-02-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438478)

Had not seen until now, but would definitely love to have.

Porkchop 01-03-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438014)
Yup. Attack. Full Ohlins suspension too. It was gonna be track only eventually anyway.

Tits, nice setup. :drool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 438248)
You do realize that people get hurt/killed on the track as well right? One of my worst get offs ever occurred at the track. Being afraid of crashing is going to make going to track just as miserable for you as riding on the street. IMHO. I think that you rode around thinking that you couldn't get hurt because you wore all that gear. Well, that bubble has been burst. So now you're going to be "track only" because you think that you'll be "safer" there... Maybe, but if you keep riding at the limit, you'll end up crashing, and we'll be seeing a thread about you giving up riding all together soon.

True... trade offs. We participate in a dangerous sport. Sure you will be getting away from the soccer moms, cell phone weilding teens, pot holes, gravel, and tickets. But the threshhold is so much higher at the track. The margin for error is smaller. The crashes faster... and more often. You may only crash once in ten years or more on the street, but you know you will crash at the track. Atleast there are no curbs to hit if you go down at the track. :panic:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 438301)
perhaps dlit will hang up his track suit in a year for a cruiser or maybe he'll get into hot rod cars. Do what you enjoy and F what people think.

I had and Uncle that was into Harleys and Hot Rods. Guess which one got to him first... the hot rod.

DLIT 01-03-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 438487)

I'm guessing that it's not crash proof...:wink:

Now, I'm no engineer, but I think you might be onto something.

Gas Man 01-03-2011 01:44 AM

Pork. No shit the hot rod. Hmmm. But then again he probably felt more secure thr. Most guys on harley puts around.

And I'm not sure abt the great people being caveman. Although if u throw his wife in that mix then I guess so. However, I met him due to my home location and that I found out he's been stalking me since high school. But that's another story/thread.

Dlit. Have u cleaned up the bike at all? Insurance look at it yet? Have you spoke to ur bike & medical insurance about track days and coverage there?

fasternyou929 01-03-2011 01:47 AM

Glad to hear you're in relatively good shape. Whatever you paid for your gear, it was worth it for those few seconds.

That said, I've never seen a crash thread with the OP bragging so much about their riding prowess. You crashed on the street and there wasn't any evidence of sand/gravel, so chances are pretty damn good you just plain fucked up. It doesn't take much, and blaming it on tire goblins will only take away any potential lessons learned.

DLIT 01-03-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 438557)
Glad to hear you're in relatively good shape. Whatever you paid for your gear, it was worth it for those few seconds.

That said, I've never seen a crash thread with the OP bragging so much about their riding prowess. You crashed on the street and there wasn't any evidence of sand/gravel, so chances are pretty damn good you just plain fucked up. It doesn't take much, and blaming it on tire goblins will only take away any potential lessons learned.

A buddy of mine that picked the bike up said there was some gravel by my bike's sliding marks. The kind of gravel that falls from a gravel truck. I think I said that earlier in the thread. And you can take it as bragging, I look at it as I'm very experienced.

I understand where you're coming from though, but sometimes tires aren't to blame for wrecks? Are you kidding me? What's one of the first things you here at the morning meetings at track days? "Make sure your tires are warm." There was no inputs being made from me at the time. I wasn't trail-braking, counter-steering, shifting my body...nothing. I'm not afraid to admit it if I fucked up, but nothing I was doing at the time seemed like I would be the main cause.

I could say I fucked up...but how? And what lessons can I learn when I don't know how I fucked up? I'm thinking it was a combination of things at this point. Cold-ish tires, improper suspension set up and maybe there was gravel. I wouldn't mind saying I fucked up but I wasn't doing anything different or special than I usually do. I guess you could say I fucked up by hauling that much ass on the street to begin with. Tiny mistakes multiply even more at higher speeds.

I'm honestly still baffled by it, so I'm doing what I think is best for me at this point.

Amber Lamps 01-03-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438565)
A buddy of mine that picked the bike up said there was some gravel by my bike's sliding marks. The kind of gravel that falls from a gravel truck. I think I said that earlier in the thread. And you can take it as bragging, I look at it as I'm very experienced.

I understand where you're coming from though, but sometimes tires aren't to blame for wrecks? Are you kidding me? What's one of the first things you here at the morning meetings at track days? "Make sure your tires are warm." There was no inputs being made from me at the time. I wasn't trail-braking, counter-steering, shifting my body...nothing. I'm not afraid to admit it if I fucked up, but nothing I was doing at the time seemed like I would be the main cause.

I could say I fucked up...but how? And what lessons can I learn when I don't know how I fucked up? I'm thinking it was a combination of things at this point. Cold-ish tires, improper suspension set up and maybe there was gravel. I wouldn't mind saying I fucked up but I wasn't doing anything different or special than I usually do. I guess you could say I fucked up by hauling that much ass on the street to begin with. Tiny mistakes multiply even more at higher speeds.

I'm honestly still baffled by it, so I'm doing what I think is best for me at this point.

Well, I don't know but I like the fire that I'm "hearing" in your posts and that's all that I was after!!!:wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438552)
Now, I'm no engineer, but I think you might be onto something.

Hee, hee, hee that a boy!:rockwoot:

Porkchop 01-03-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 438556)
Pork. No shit the hot rod. Hmmm. But then again he probably felt more secure thr. Most guys on harley puts around.

Yea... it was an 800 horsepower 70-something Plymouth Roadrunner with a giant blower sticking out of the engine. My other uncle that sold it to him claimed he could stand it on end down the entire street. He was out in the country with his buddy when he lost control. He rolled it. Killed both of them. Two months later my dad passed away in his sleep, his heart just stopped. Pick your poison....

Gas Man 01-03-2011 10:15 AM

WOW Pork... that is crazy. Sorry for your loss. I too have lost my father, but to cancer. It's tuff.

Porkchop 01-03-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 438620)
WOW Pork... that is crazy. Sorry for your loss. I too have lost my father, but to cancer. It's tuff.

You know its kinda funny. I just posted that and looked back at it. In the year and a half that its been, I don't think I once realized the irony in that situation. It kinda caught me off guard.

He was 46. Life is too short, live life how you want.

Gas Man 01-03-2011 10:37 AM

True... life is too short. Never has anything ever been more true.

fnfalman 01-04-2011 06:44 PM

I remembered the first time I went for a proper asphalt surfing excursion. The two things that kept going in my head when I was sliding and them tumbling were "Damn, I'm glad I have an Arai on my head and a thick ass leather suit on my body."

the chi 01-05-2011 10:31 AM

Really glad you're okay.

But I'm wondering. Have you been bodysnatched or is old age mellowing you out? :lol: I remember a time you'd have had the law called on ya for some of the razzing you are taking in this thread.

I'm also jealous. It's been 2 weeks on my ankle and I still can't walk. I can finally shuffle for a few feet, but definitely no bending. I fantasize about hitting people with my crutches when I have to be out and about.

Definitely take it easy man, don't want to overdo it and ruin yourself for life trying for too fast too soon.

I hear ya on the street thing too. I feel like when I do ride, if it's not at the track and I am not constantly challenging myself its no fun anymore, and I'm not even good. I'm not comfy pushing it to the limits on the street because I always think about that next guardrail, or a deer, or dirt etc, that it almost makes me a nervous wreck to go much higher than the speed limits these days, which to me isn't alot of fun. I've almost considered giving it all up lately n selling the GSXR.

Good luck with everything.

Trip 01-05-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chi (Post 439198)
Really glad you're okay.

But I'm wondering. Have you been bodysnatched or is old age mellowing you out? :lol: I remember a time you'd have had the law called on ya for some of the razzing you are taking in this thread.

I'm also jealous. It's been 2 weeks on my ankle and I still can't walk. I can finally shuffle for a few feet, but definitely no bending. I fantasize about hitting people with my crutches when I have to be out and about.

Definitely take it easy man, don't want to overdo it and ruin yourself for life trying for too fast too soon.

I hear ya on the street thing too. I feel like when I do ride, if it's not at the track and I am not constantly challenging myself its no fun anymore, and I'm not even good. I'm not comfy pushing it to the limits on the street because I always think about that next guardrail, or a deer, or dirt etc, that it almost makes me a nervous wreck to go much higher than the speed limits these days, which to me isn't alot of fun. I've almost considered giving it all up lately n selling the GSXR.

Good luck with everything.

Come to the dark side, get a dual sport.

the chi 01-05-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 439200)
Come to the dark side, get a dual sport.

:lol: Then I get to worry about trees. I want to, I really do, but money is a factor. I'm aiming for a track day in March, see how I feel about stuff then.

I'd like something like Ebbs has, since I know I cant afford the BMW currently, butI'd definitely need it shortened. :lol:

Trip 01-05-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chi (Post 439206)
:lol: Then I get to worry about trees. I want to, I really do, but money is a factor. I'm aiming for a track day in March, see how I feel about stuff then.

I'd like something like Ebbs has, since I know I cant afford the BMW currently, butI'd definitely need it shortened. :lol:

Eh, I would go with something more highway worthy where you are at. Something you can use on street and enjoy.

Amber Lamps 01-05-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 439200)
Come to the GAY side, get a dual sport.

Fixed it for ya...:lol:

DLIT 01-05-2011 02:47 PM

I would never get a dual sport. The Ducati Diabel or a Goldwing.

the chi 01-05-2011 02:59 PM

And see I would LOVE to just venture off a street and down some random dirt trail just to see where it goes...

fasternyou929 01-05-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438565)

I must've missed the part about the gravel... certainly doesn't take much of that to ruin your whole day. As far as bragging v. experience, I guess it's just personality differences. I know a lot of experienced riders, and none of them started a conversation about their crash with "my limits are higher than most". As someone that knows neither you personally nor your riding abilities, I thought it cames across as unnecessary and just wanted to point it out to you.

I wasn't implying tires can't cause wrecks, but unless you lived a half mile down the road from the crash (doesn't appear to be anything for miles in either direction), it seems a pretty odd place for a "cold tire" incident. Seems you should have been riding at a good clip for a while at that point, that's all. One of the most aggravating crashes I had in '09 was a low-side at VIR because I just couldn't figure out WTF I did wrong. Like you, I just wanted to understand why. The only conclusion I could come to was I must have put too much weight on the clip-ons during that lap. It was toward the end of the 2nd day riding there, each day over 105 degrees. It took me weeks of over-analyzing everything about it to draw that conclusion, so I understand where you're coming from.

Good luck with it, and I hope you find a way to continue enjoying your bike.

Mr Lefty 01-05-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

actually the BMW F650GS used are running around 5k... that's what I'm looking for next... will do 90+ gets 50+mpg more comfortable...

derf 01-05-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

My KLR actually lets me get the balls of my feet on the ground, you might be able to touch a toe

racedoll 01-06-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Good luck with that. Hubby just got a DRZ and I can't even touch well enough to sit it upright (off the kick stand)... I think I'm your height or a little taller (5'5"). He can barely touch but with his weight he compresses the suspension enough that he can. I don't think it moved when I got on.

pickle.of.doom 01-07-2011 04:25 AM

I heard the real reason for the off was that DLIT slipped on a pile of DLIT's ego that was layin' mid corner :D

DLIT 01-07-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom (Post 439798)
I heard the real reason for the off was that DLIT slipped on a pile of DLIT's ego that was layin' mid corner :D

Fuck yourself. Crossed up much?

DLIT 01-07-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 439339)
I must've missed the part about the gravel... certainly doesn't take much of that to ruin your whole day. As far as bragging v. experience, I guess it's just personality differences. I know a lot of experienced riders, and none of them started a conversation about their crash with "my limits are higher than most". As someone that knows neither you personally nor your riding abilities, I thought it cames across as unnecessary and just wanted to point it out to you.

I wasn't implying tires can't cause wrecks, but unless you lived a half mile down the road from the crash (doesn't appear to be anything for miles in either direction), it seems a pretty odd place for a "cold tire" incident. Seems you should have been riding at a good clip for a while at that point, that's all. One of the most aggravating crashes I had in '09 was a low-side at VIR because I just couldn't figure out WTF I did wrong. Like you, I just wanted to understand why. The only conclusion I could come to was I must have put too much weight on the clip-ons during that lap. It was toward the end of the 2nd day riding there, each day over 105 degrees. It took me weeks of over-analyzing everything about it to draw that conclusion, so I understand where you're coming from.

Good luck with it, and I hope you find a way to continue enjoying your bike.

Oh, I hear ya. My bad.

Gas Man 01-07-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom (Post 439798)

Now that was funny I don't care who you are.

DLIT 01-07-2011 01:05 PM

Hilarious.

pickle.of.doom 01-07-2011 02:52 PM

Truth hurts :p

DLIT 01-07-2011 06:56 PM

It was a good one, I'll give ya that.

pickle.of.doom 01-08-2011 12:22 AM

Still thinking track only? Or are ya relaxin a bit now?

fnfalman 01-08-2011 02:52 AM

Fuck the track!!! The track is for pussies.

There ain't nuthin' like splitting lanes at 120+, right, DLIT?

DLIT 01-08-2011 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom (Post 440238)
Still thinking track only? Or are ya relaxin a bit now?

The only reason I'm relaxing is to let my back heel. Then, off to the track. Hopefully by Feb. Got a corner working gig. Two guys per corner, each of us get 20 mins an hour on the track. Not a bad deal. Already have four of those days lined up. Two in Feb and two in March.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnfalman (Post 440257)
Fuck the track!!! The track is for pussies.

There ain't nuthin' like splitting lanes at 120+, right, DLIT?

Haha. Track > Street. Always.

Carolina 03-06-2011 01:46 AM

damn where have i been, oh yeah ,,assghan,,nway glad your ok man, take your time, a back injury never fully heals, my wrist still aches sometime after i broke it and its been 2+ years, cruisers are cool so fuck wht errbody says, wht happened to as long as its two wheels,, im getting a street glide one of these days hopefully and I enjoy riding my dads goldwing trike, shit ,music, storage,cup holder,heated grips etc... 1600,1800 CC idk, when you turn the throttle hard from a stop she feels like she is gonna wheelie but is too heavy, thats fun and makes lil kids happy to see her bouncing, nway,, if i can have fun on my nephews 8occ honda than u can have fun on anything and that duc is the shit,, let your back heal and glad your still alive, ur right count your blessings and take it easy

and in your famous words to all these hater tell em to " EAT A BAG OF DICKS"

Amber Lamps 03-06-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina (Post 454786)
damn where have i been, oh yeah ,,assghan,,nway glad your ok man, take your time, a back injury never fully heals, my wrist still aches sometime after i broke it and its been 2+ years, cruisers are cool so fuck wht errbody says, wht happened to as long as its two wheels,, im getting a street glide one of these days hopefully and I enjoy riding my dads goldwing trike, shit ,music, storage,cup holder,heated grips etc... 1600,1800 CC idk, when you turn the throttle hard from a stop she feels like she is gonna wheelie but is too heavy, thats fun and makes lil kids happy to see her bouncing, nway,, if i can have fun on my nephews 8occ honda than u can have fun on anything and that duc is the shit,, let your back heal and glad your still alive, ur right count your blessings and take it easy

and in your famous words to all these hater tell em to " EAT A BAG OF DICKS"

Dude, slow down on the blunts.....:lol:

Particle Man 03-06-2011 04:28 PM

Holy run-on, Batman!

Carolina 03-08-2011 10:41 AM

A L whts good homie, im drug free mane,, im outa school gots me a diploma and a college edumacation i aint gotta type proper like homeboys

eat a bag of dicks

Amber Lamps 03-08-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina (Post 455216)
A L whts good homie, im drug free mane,, im outa school gots me a diploma and a college edumacation i aint gotta type proper like homeboys

eat a bag of dicks

:lol:

Porkchop 03-08-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 440259)
The only reason I'm relaxing is to let my back heel. Then, off to the track. Hopefully by Feb. Got a corner working gig. Two guys per corner, each of us get 20 mins an hour on the track. Not a bad deal. Already have four of those days lined up. Two in Feb and two in March.

Haha. Track > Street. Always.

We have a gig like that with our series. If you work track days or race weekends, you get track day time for free, or even free race entry fees.