Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   MSF class, yay.. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=5313)

njchopper87 01-19-2009 11:44 AM

I wonder why SC wasn't doing that until now. I would have been pissed if I took the class a couple weeks ago and found out I could have had my license if I just waited. I'd still be in the parking lot either way so it doesn't really matter, but ya see what I'm saying.

Edit: I also already have basic riding gear. I wish I had rain gear though since it was raining during all of Sunday.

Also, what kind of shit should I get for the garage (or closet since I lack a garage now)? I mean fluids for maintenance and the like. I probably won't be doing much myself at first, but I might know someone that can show me how and I'd like to be prepared.

Cutty72 01-19-2009 12:33 PM

chain lube if you get a chain drive bike (most are)
engine oil
coolant

you'll get more as you get into it and know what you are going to be doing on your bike.

MikeSP1 01-19-2009 02:37 PM

Don't feel bad, I've been riding for almost 20 years (good God that makes me sound old) and I still don't have proper rain gear. It may just be that I don't mind riding in the rain:idk:

Stuff to keep on hand at the house (at least I've always had this stuff):
chain lube
WD40 (for use when cleaning the chain)
engine oil
coolant
some shop rags (for cleaning the chain)
an inexpensive rear stand (makes cleaning the chain a lot easier)

fnfalman 01-27-2009 03:05 PM

Congrats on passing the MSF basic course. Now, do don't some stupid shit like buying a Hayabusa. You're barely competent enough to ride a light, weak motorbike in a parking lot, just to keep things in perspective. So becareful in what you get and practice, practice, practice and then practice some more before hitting the streets. Get your starting, stopping and gearshifting until it's natural. The streets are not the place to stall out or drop bikes.

BTW, don't forget to buy a tire pressure gauge. Get a good analog one (the digital ones tend to die when you need them the most) with a hose and an air release button so that if you were to overinflate your tire, you can deflate the tire while monitoring the pressure. Check the pressure at least once very two weeks, preferrably once every week. Keep the pressures to factory recommendations for now until you learn more about your bike's handling. Then you can experiment with tire pressures.

This gauge has all the features that I suggested. Also make sure that you get the gauge that goes up to 60-psi. A street bike's tire pressure can go up to 40-PSI or more. http://www.getagauge.com/MotorcycleTireGauges.cfm

njchopper87 01-27-2009 04:51 PM

I'm pretty sure my dad has a pressure guage, but I'll keep that in mind if he doesn't.

I plan on spending plenty of time in a parking lot, however I can't help but notice most bikes I can afford are about an hour drive from me.. :panic: So I think a little travel is going to have to take place..

OreoGaborio 02-23-2009 12:12 PM

Congrats!

Did they say "Congratulations, you're now certified to ride around in a parking lot" when you graduated? :)

Crazy 02-23-2009 02:22 PM

PRACTICE. I think I rode around a parking lot for 250 miles before I got my license.

njchopper87 02-23-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreoGaborio (Post 169787)
Congrats!

Did they say "Congratulations, you're now certified to ride around in a parking lot" when you graduated? :)

No, but they implied it. The thing is, to get to the parking lot I have to get comfortable turning, downshifting and all that crazy shit. The closest parking lot isn't around the corner like home. :panic: I just been riding around this circle where I live at when I have spare time.

Thanks btw.

OreoGaborio 02-23-2009 07:35 PM

Better than nothin! Keep up the good work :)

Go through your Rider Handbook a couple more times... Lotta good info in there.

Another great purchase is Riding In the Zone by Ken Condon. It's got a supplementary DVD that goes along w/ the book that's really helpful. The "acting" is pretty dry, but the material is great :)

p00kienrayray 03-10-2009 11:47 AM

clutch play is a very common issue for newbies, but you will get it.