Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New chain and sprockets (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=17912)

Homeslice 03-13-2012 01:08 PM

X-rings are billed as being able to hold lube better and last longer, but honestly your maintenance & bike storage environment is much more important. Sounds like you're already doing a good job, with 20K on the previous chain.

Most important thing is to store it indoors, keep sand off the chain, and keep the rings lubricated so they don't wear out, allowing the internal grease to escape.

BTW, WD40 is not a lube.....Some people use it to clean, but it doesn't lube worth a dick, and it also contains solvents which if it ever penetrates past the rings, would mix with the internal grease and quicken its demise.

JARVIS518 03-13-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 508017)
X-rings are billed as being able to hold lube better and last longer, but honestly your maintenance & bike storage environment is much more important. Sounds like you're already doing a good job, with 20K on the previous chain.

Most important thing is to store it indoors, keep sand off the chain, and keep the rings lubricated so they don't wear out, allowing the internal grease to escape.

BTW, WD40 is not a lube.....Some people use it to clean, but it doesn't lube worth a dick, and it also contains solvents which if it ever penetrates past the rings, would mix with the internal grease and quicken its demise.

i dont use WD40 haha i use chain wax, which seams to work pretty good. and i do store it in a shed. not much sand in upstate NY

i also need suggestions for the tool chain breaker/rivot tool

Cutty72 03-14-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JARVIS518 (Post 508020)
i dont use WD40 haha i use chain wax, which seams to work pretty good. and i do store it in a shed. not much sand in upstate NY

I have a motion pro. Got it from my buddy that was selling MATCO tools at the time. I broke it once and got it replaced at no charge, but I wasn't using it properly either :lol:

JARVIS518 03-14-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508108)
I have a motion pro. Got it from my buddy that was selling MATCO tools at the time. I broke it once and got it replaced at no charge, but I wasn't using it properly either :lol:

how did it break? im not sure this is a good suggestion or not haha

Cutty72 03-14-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JARVIS518 (Post 508127)
how did it break? im not sure this is a good suggestion or not haha

I bent the pin on the breaker attachment. I was using the wrong one, and a WAY too long of ratchet to crank on it.
Used correctly, it works very well.

JARVIS518 03-15-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508168)
I bent the pin on the breaker attachment. I was using the wrong one, and a WAY too long of ratchet to crank on it.
Used correctly, it works very well.

good to know, thanks

derf 03-15-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JARVIS518 (Post 508020)

I highly recommend that you don't use the harbor freight one, I tried it a while back and it snapped in half before I was able to finish pressing the pins

JARVIS518 03-15-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508237)
I highly recommend that you don't use the harbor freight one, I tried it a while back and it snapped in half before I was able to finish pressing the pins

thanks for the heads up, i wasnt planning on it