Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Touring (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Xmas ride (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=11801)

Mr Lefty 11-23-2009 09:09 PM

Xmas ride

So I'm planning a ride up to my parents for Xmas... it'll only be one way as I'm picking up my girlfriends truck and driving it home...

I plan to leave about the 20th or 21st of Dec... I'm taking my time so not sure how long it'll take me... but I'm meeting my Girlfriend in Soux Falls on the 23rd... so I may go all the way to Fargo then come back down... :idk:

figure I'll leave as early as possible... ride as far as I want... and get a room. repeat. figure I'll get 5-600 miles in the first day... no rush... all back roads... staying of the freeway almost completely the entire trip. should be around 1700 miles so it'll kill off my D606's good thing I'm not riding back down! :lol:

My steed will be my 09 DRZ400s...

http://ebbs15.com/Motorcycles/DR-Z40..._G2k4R-L-1.jpg

So heated gear is pretty much out of the question with the limited power of the stator. but as I've been riding it every day in the high 40's I think I'll be alright with a couple layers, frequent stops, and a naughty pic of my girl on the bars to keep me warm :wink:

Right now I need to:
get a balaclava
make some hand protectors(from the wind)... thinking of seeing if I can find some of that thick canvas type material... :idk: something like these
http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/msr...-340183_lg.jpghttp://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/msr...340183_lg2.jpg
or something like this
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/hippo-hands/

invest in some wind proof pants
figure out a luggage system... almost burnt a hole in my Cortechs on the way to work (15 miles) cause they sat on the exhaust

that's pretty much it.

http://ebbs15.com/photos/722236259_nvFHZ-L.jpg

that's the over view...

here's my plan in a bit more detail
http://ebbs15.com/photos/722236187_5vvCd-L.jpg

http://ebbs15.com/photos/722236213_gP5GH-L.jpg

http://ebbs15.com/photos/722236242_oHSbo-L.jpg

http://ebbs15.com/photos/722236202_SU2Uq-L.jpg

any input?

No Worries 11-24-2009 12:06 AM

I went riding yesterday in 48 degrees. Even with my Hippo Hands, long johns, and two wind block sweaters under my leathers, I was cold. And it's a dry cold here. In the end of December in the humid Midwest, you can run into some fierce winter storms. Sub-zero temps, blinding snow, ice, freezing drizzle, and wind that can blow you over, or blow snow onto a clear road and then freeze into black ice. Other than that, it could be a nice ride.

Mr Lefty 11-24-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 296731)
I went riding yesterday in 48 degrees. Even with my Hippo Hands, long johns, and two wind block sweaters under my leathers, I was cold. And it's a dry cold here. In the end of December in the humid Midwest, you can run into some fierce winter storms. Sub-zero temps, blinding snow, ice, freezing drizzle, and wind that can blow you over, or blow snow onto a clear road and then freeze into black ice. Other than that, it could be a nice ride.

yeah but other than that... I should be ok right? :lol:

I'm riding every morning in 48* weather... with jeans (nothing under them) and my first gear Kilimanjaro Jacket... vented gloves and Moose MX boots... I'm perfectly fine, though hands could use a bit of warming usually. course by the time I get there it's probably in the low 50's.

I think if I get what I mentioned I should be ok as far as being cold...

I'm more worried about the wind... that's the one thing that sucks on this bike... it's so light takes nothing to blow it over...

the route I'm taking keeps me on somewhat major roads and in the hills... so they should be somewhat clear even after a storm... but also somewhat shielded from the wind. (I hope)

once I go north of Springfield I'm fucked as far as that goes...

but oh well... it's all part of the adventure... if this is the only way I can make the Mid west interesting... so be it! :lol:

karl_1052 11-24-2009 12:10 PM

Just hope you don't get trapped in a storm, cause that would suck.

I would also swap the knobbies for street tires.

Trip 11-24-2009 12:19 PM

I think you are going to have a bad time if it is snowing or stormy and I will laugh and point. Heated gear and as much wind protection material you can get on you ftmfw. Great gloves are a must for that long of a trip. No windscreen is going to suck.

Mr Lefty 11-24-2009 12:41 PM

If I get stuck in a storm ill laugh right along with ya. To be honest I'm hoping it won't just be a cold boring ride. But not too interesting :lol:

Can't run too much heated gear as I only have 50watts to spare.

Maybe hid's will help that a little.

CrazyKell 11-24-2009 01:42 PM

You sir are coo coo for cocoa puffs!

the chi 11-24-2009 02:03 PM

Get some of those little packets hunters use to stick in your pockets and boots. Those help with the cold some.

Cutty72 11-24-2009 05:27 PM

wow, you got a girlfriend... like a real live one? congrats.

as for the ride, you're nuts.

Mr Lefty 11-24-2009 08:00 PM

Decided to skip the heated gear... that shit's for pussies... (read people who have a bigger stator than I do)

gonna get some of the Moose Racing Paws Gauntlets http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Gauntlets.jpg

I think I'll be warm enough... I'm sweating in my jacket with it's liner and a t-shirt at 45* so as long as my hands stay warm... I'll be fine... I think I'll pack a bunch of those disposable hand warmers Rae mentioned (great minds...)

got some new waterproof/wind proof pants and wind proof base layer top and bottom from first gear on order (polar fleece backed)

only other thing would be my feet... as my boots are NOT water proof... but I have a fix for that... they don't let water in while riding... but the stitching where the sole attaches to the boot leaks... so silicone it is! won't look pretty.... but neither do I so what ever.

Not packing much stuff... as I'll ship it up to keep my pack small... mostly just pack emergency stuff... an MRE or two... a dry set of clothes... tools... a flare or 6... extra batteries... ya know the norm.

got to order:

an HID light to increase visibility on both sides.

the hard wire kit for my GPS

... that's it I think.

ohh... gotta change the oil... and a kit to do it again at my bro's.

Rangerscott 11-24-2009 08:32 PM

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/msr...-340183_lg.jpghttp://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/msr...340183_lg2.jpg

http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Mother%20of%20God.jpg

I need those for my bike.

Particle Man 11-25-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 296936)
I would also swap the knobbies for street tires.

I wouldn't given the time of year...

karl_1052 11-25-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 297466)
I wouldn't given the time of year...

Knobbies on snowy dirt are fine, knobbies on snowy pavement=asphalt eating.

Particle Man 11-25-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 297642)

How 'bout put street tires on and bring the knobbies just in case? :rockwoot:

Mr Lefty 11-25-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 297642)

I was thinking about this a lot today... ( I over think all my trips)

I have the 70(on road)/30(off road) Stock Trail wings, and the 10/90 Dunlop D606's

I think you're right... I'm not gonna hit much off road... and more than likely... I'll hit wet pavement(point for the Trail wings) or ice... (point for the trail wings as they have more land area) Snow is a given... but I don't think the knobbies will provide THAT much more traction over the Trail wings, as I'm doubting I'll be riding in more than a couple inches.

:idk:

101lifts2 11-26-2009 02:56 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think ur fucking stupid for riding a bike towards the end of December 1700 miles up to North Dakota. I mean seriously you are talking about riding in 45 degree weather, which is nothing compared to 10 degrees or less. Your shield will be constantly fogging up, your hands will be frozen (esp. without heated grips) as with your feet. And if it snows, you will be fucked and have to pull over, which could be for days. Not to mention bikes are not meant to be ridden in anything below 32F. Wheel bearings may seize, the clutch lever may stick or the carbs may ice up.

Anyway, enjoy the trip!

Particle Man 11-26-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 297921)
Not to mention bikes are not meant to be ridden in anything below 32F.

Huh?!? That's a quarter of my riding year and I have never had a problem... Can you elaborate on this a bit?

With the right weight oil and making sure lubrication is up to date, I can't see how riding below 32F has any adverse impact on anything but the rider... If a bearing siezes up or something it probably wasn't in the best shape to begin with and cold may just throw it over the edge so I totally agree that up-to-date maintenence is a must...

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand this comment given how much time I've spent riding in temps around 18-20F.

Mr Lefty 11-26-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 297921)
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think ur fucking stupid for riding a bike towards the end of December 1700 miles up to North Dakota. I mean seriously you are talking about riding in 45 degree weather, which is nothing compared to 10 degrees or less. Your shield will be constantly fogging up, your hands will be frozen (esp. without heated grips) as with your feet. And if it snows, you will be fucked and have to pull over, which could be for days. Not to mention bikes are not meant to be ridden in anything below 32F. Wheel bearings may seize, the clutch lever may stick or the carbs may ice up.

Anyway, enjoy the trip!

it's all good... my point in saying I'm riding in 45* is saying that I'm not at all cold. I've ridden in 20* weather in Alaska... luckily the roads were clear as i was on my ZZR.

My hands, will be in winter/wind proof gloves, with the "hippo hands" can't see them getting THAT cold with out the wind... I'll also have the hand warmers hunters use to drop in my gloves if need be.

as for riding below 32*... your bike maybe... all you have to do is a little preventive maintenance... spray a little deicer on the clutch lever... wheel bearings won't freeze if I'm moving... and doubt they'll freeze from a gas or food stop. which brings up the carb. now this is a real issue... but there is a heater for the carb... I'll be ordering that here on the first.

last... I've got a back up plan. My girlfriend will be coming from Rapid on the 23rd... and my truck (which still hasn't sold) will be waiting for me in Omaha. I'll throw the bike in the back and drive up. or if it's sold by then my girlfriend will come pick me up and I'll leave the bike at my brothers in Omaha.

But you don't have to stop riding if it snows... now if roads are closing due to it... yes... but I've ridden in snow on my ZZR in alaska with it falling... granted I had to slow WAY down... but it's possible.

the whole reason of this is to add a bit of adventure to the holidays... can't have adventure with out risk... you all may be seeing it as a lot of risk... I don't. :idk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 297937)
Huh?!? That's a quarter of my riding year and I have never had a problem... Can you elaborate on this a bit?

With the right weight oil and making sure lubrication is up to date, I can't see how riding below 32F has any adverse impact on anything but the rider... If a bearing siezes up or something it probably wasn't in the best shape to begin with and cold may just throw it over the edge so I totally agree that up-to-date maintenence is a must...

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand this comment given how much time I've spent riding in temps around 18-20F.

that's what I was wondering... as I said above the carb icing up is a possibility... but I'm gonna take care of that.

remember the bike is 2500 miles old... think the bearings will be just fine :2cents:

Tmall 11-26-2009 11:51 AM

Particle, its one thing to go out for a few hours in the cold, you just jump in the shower to warm up.

If you've done any real distance in feezing temps, then I'm impressed. Anything near freezing and I stiffen up and become practically useless.

I can go around town, but if you start packing the miles on, that's when the difference comes into play. There's nothing like being hypothermuc on a bike. You're bordering on being intoxicated.

Mr Lefty 11-26-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 297980)
Particle, its one thing to go out for a few hours in the cold, you just jump in the shower to warm up.

If you've done any real distance in feezing temps, then I'm impressed. Anything near freezing and I stiffen up and become practically useless.

I can go around town, but if you start packing the miles on, that's when the difference comes into play. There's nothing like being hypothermuc on a bike. You're bordering on being intoxicated.

but 101 was talking about the bike... that's what Partical was replying to...

I know it'll be cold... but I think I'll be fine... I'll have several layers on, three of which are wind proof.

now that I think about it....

I've done a couple hours on snow machines (snow mobile) in AK.. in -15*... doing 50mph with bursts up to 70mph... I was fine... had thermals, sweats, over pants and jacket liner and shell on. balaclava, gloves with liners... and that's it.

I was really surprised I wasn't cold... course that was more cardio work than just sitting on the bike too... so who knows.

I don't expect to hit the REAL cold till north of Omaha anyhow. I'm not seriously worried about the cold... just a bad snow storm.

tached1000rr 11-26-2009 12:10 PM

Heck of a trip planned and I can't wait for the return report, it should be titled "The Chronicles of Ebbs" lol. I know to expect some killer pics from your trip, can't wait to see them

Mr Lefty 11-26-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 297990)
Heck of a trip planned and I can't wait for the return report, it should be titled "The Chronicles of Ebbs" lol. I know to expect some killer pics from your trip, can't wait to see them

:lol: it's only a couple days... no epic journey... but should be entertaining for me... and possibly provide some cool photos for you guys...

karl_1052 11-26-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 297980)

Two of my buddies have done the London On to ottawa trip in 1-2 degree weather, and they were fine(without winter clothes).

Tmall 11-26-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 298007)
Two of my buddies have done the London On to ottawa trip in 1-2 degree weather, and they were fine(without winter clothes).

They're better men than I. I tried to go to Moncton to meet Redrider in 5c.I made it 30 minutes to the airport before I started to become a danger to myself and those on the road around me. I stopped and warmed up for an hour, before I made the half hour trip back and hopped straight into the shower until I stopped shivering.

I'm not saying it's not possible. Shoving a watermelon up your ass is possible if you have the resolve to do it. But, who'd want to?? :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 297986)
but 101 was talking about the bike... that's what Partical was replying to...

I know it'll be cold... but I think I'll be fine... I'll have several layers on, three of which are wind proof.

now that I think about it....

I've done a couple hours on snow machines (snow mobile) in AK.. in -15*... doing 50mph with bursts up to 70mph... I was fine... had thermals, sweats, over pants and jacket liner and shell on. balaclava, gloves with liners... and that's it.

I was really surprised I wasn't cold... course that was more cardio work than just sitting on the bike too... so who knows.

I don't expect to hit the REAL cold till north of Omaha anyhow. I'm not seriously worried about the cold... just a bad snow storm.

Gotcha, misunderstanding on my behalf. The bike will be fine once its at operating temp.

Edit: I used to ride on the back of snowmobiles all the time with nothing more than a small jacket and jeans on. It's hardly the same. The trees block the wind, you go fairly slow when you're not in wide open areas. And you rarely do the kind of distance on a sled that you would on a motorcycle.

101lifts2 11-26-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 297937)

Some dude that works for Honda R and D said that one time. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it is not tested in those temperatures vs. say automobiles which are usually tested as low as -40F (at least GM did).

Mr Lefty 11-26-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 298022)
Edit: I used to ride on the back of snowmobiles all the time with nothing more than a small jacket and jeans on. It's hardly the same. The trees block the wind, you go fairly slow when you're not in wide open areas. And you rarely do the kind of distance on a sled that you would on a motorcycle.

well yeah... the more I thought about it... the cardio is what kept me warm... maybe I just need to do a bit of Rae's motorcyle yoga :lol:

but where I rode the sled there were no trees... it's all open with little hills to jump... so you're not going under 30mph much... so much fuck'n fun though... I miss it!

101lifts2 11-26-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 297964)
....as for riding below 32*... your bike maybe...

Shit I won't ride below 60F. LOL...except for commuting to work.

Quote:

...last... I've got a back up plan. My girlfriend will be coming from Rapid on the 23rd... and my truck (which still hasn't sold) will be waiting for me in Omaha. I'll throw the bike in the back and drive up. or if it's sold by then my girlfriend will come pick me up and I'll leave the bike at my brothers in Omaha....
So now you're going to stop in Omaha and drive up? Now ur just being a pussy. :lol

Mr Lefty 11-26-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 298035)
Shit I won't ride below 60F. LOL...except for commuting to work.

So now you're going to stop in Omaha and drive up? Now ur just being a pussy. :lol

:lol:

karl_1052 11-26-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 298022)
They're better men than I. I tried to go to Moncton to meet Redrider in 5c.I made it 30 minutes to the airport before I started to become a danger to myself and those on the road around me. I stopped and warmed up for an hour, before I made the half hour trip back and hopped straight into the shower until I stopped shivering.

I'm not saying it's not possible. Shoving a watermelon up your ass is possible if you have the resolve to do it. But, who'd want to?? :lol

I never said I would do it.

Maybe I should ask them how they feel about watermelons.:lol

Mr Lefty 11-27-2009 12:44 PM

Just got this stuff ordered:
http://www.cyclegear.com/images/Stre...o_delux_MD.jpg

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/stre...ngslv_t_MD.jpg

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/stre...lyr_pnt_MD.jpg

http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...2c0fd20fc3.jpg

http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...23eaab088d.jpg

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/offr...verpant_MD.jpg

http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...ea978f056e.jpg

http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...acf7f2b1af.jpg

Still gotta order my HID kit, probably gonna order a jet kit (bike is very lean from the factory... which makes it a pain to start cold)

gotta fab up something to keep the cortech bags off my exhaust. this will probably be their last trip. POS bags anyways.

101lifts2 11-28-2009 02:14 AM

If you have to buy all that gear, I would assume it would be cheaper to just take a plane. lol

dReWpY 11-28-2009 02:16 AM

this is one time that i can actually :dthumb: spending a shit ton of goodies before i trip, most ppl waste money on shit they dont need.. all of that stuff seems mandatory lol

Mr Lefty 11-28-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 298659)
If you have to buy all that gear, I would assume it would be cheaper to just take a plane. lol

Cheaper maybe... but wheres the fun in that? come on.. live a little

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 298660)
this is one time that i can actually :dthumb: spending a shit ton of goodies before i trip, most ppl waste money on shit they dont need.. all of that stuff seems mandatory lol

yeah... could have done with out the bags... but they will make access to certain things MUCH easier if/when I have issues.

how are your cortech bags holding up? mine are falling apart. the rain covers are trashed (literally threw them away as they had a hole in each big enough to stick my head through) the stitching is going now on the straps that connect the two saddle bags... one of the rubber backings of the saddle bags is almost gone... as the loop that holds tore. The only part thats holding up is the tail bag. but it's not nearly as easy to use on the DRZ as it was on the RR due to the width of the seat.

Think I'm gonna get some new bags next year... throw these up for sale

dReWpY 11-28-2009 01:53 PM

make a bracket that goes over the top of the bike and holds the saddle bags up, off of the plastics, we did that for osp's buell and it worked great

yeah the rain covers were a joke, i havent had too many problems with them, i know what you talking about with the lil straps breaking off, i think i lost one from the tail bag, other then that they have held up to my abuse

Rangerscott 12-07-2009 02:04 AM

Links to the gear please.

Tsunami 12-07-2009 05:02 AM

Is there an external battery pack you can buy and plug some heated gear in? I've seen some riders do that here with a heavy duty headlamp or headlights for desert night racing.

Mr Lefty 12-07-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 302456)
Links to the gear please.

click the pics

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/stre...ngslv_t_MD.jpg
http://www.cyclegear.com/images/stre...lyr_pnt_MD.jpg
http://www.cyclegear.com/images/Stre...o_delux_MD.jpg
http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...acf7f2b1af.jpg
http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...ea978f056e.jpg
http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...06430c6390.jpg
http://images.endeavorsuite.com/cata...23eaab088d.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 302465)
Is there an external battery pack you can buy and plug some heated gear in? I've seen some riders do that here with a heavy duty headlamp or headlights for desert night racing.

I was looking for that... the Firstgear heated gloves I looked at originally say they could be used with the optional battery pack... but couldn't find the pack anywhere. almost bought them and just called first gear directly... but, this is ONE trip. the gloves were like $180... imagine the battery pack is at least $50... that's a lot to spend on something I may only use once or twice a year.... especially being in Mississippi.

That's my reasoning on passing on the heated anything.

Trip 12-07-2009 09:13 AM

Get some kind of liners for the gloves. I rode on saturday in the snow and even with my grips on full blast, silk liners, and the BMWs barkbusters, that cold wet snow froze my fingers fast. I last 1-2 hours before I needed to go into a store and warm up.

Tsunami 12-07-2009 03:37 PM

Get a old fashion hot water bottle and strap it to your body! And you can refill it at dining establishments!

You're welcome Ebbs! :)

t-homo 12-07-2009 03:58 PM

Damn dude. If you make it up to here the first day, I've got an open couch for ya. I'll be headed to the parents on the 24th though.

Mr Lefty 12-12-2009 04:39 PM

well finally got the last part of my order, the gloves, the gauntlets, and the two bags (fender and number plate) only... NO FUCKING GLOVES! just a hand written note on my packing slip saying

Quote:

we've just been notified the gloves are on back order, do you want to look for new gloves?

yeah don't bother CALLING or EMAILING ME just let me find out when I open the fucking box!? and even better I'm supposed to order gloves from you on the 14th of DEC (not open till mon) and get them when? considering I JUST GOT this package Friday and had ordered it the day after thanksgiving!

FUCK...

I put in an order for some of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...OU%3AUS%3A1123

http://www.lockitt.com/images/oxpic/OF694_350.jpg

should be helpful... but damn... still would have liked those gloves

101lifts2 12-13-2009 05:43 PM

That plane ticket is getting more expensive by the day...lol

Mr Lefty 12-13-2009 09:06 PM

it's not expensive if you don't buy it. ;)

Mr Lefty 12-21-2009 01:30 AM

Alright I'm out. peace! have a safe and merry Christmas everyone.

derf 12-21-2009 02:05 AM

he if you havnt left yet grab a few sets of rubber gloves, they will keep your hands dry and out of the wind in a pinch

Tmall 12-21-2009 07:46 AM

Have a safe ride! Hope it all works out.

karl_1052 12-21-2009 08:21 AM

weather looks okay until about Iowa, then watch out.

Cutty72 12-21-2009 02:02 PM

Have a safe trip man!
Say merry xmas to your folks for me.

t-homo 12-21-2009 02:04 PM

good luck dude. give me a call if you are stopping in the area.

101lifts2 12-28-2009 10:13 PM

Where is he? Did he make it or freeze his nutz off? Do tell...

t-homo 12-28-2009 11:27 PM

IDK. I sent him a PM on Christmas but haven't heard back. Just checked the member's list and his last sign in was on the 21st. Anyone gotten a text or have his number? PM it to me if you do.

the chi 12-29-2009 11:17 AM

He made it safe, havent talked to him since he made it in tho, he may be on his way home this week.

tached1000rr 12-29-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chi (Post 311665)
He made it safe, havent talked to him since he made it in tho, he may be on his way home this week.

good to know!

101lifts2 12-29-2009 01:34 PM

Chicken shit prolly rode up to MO and quit...lol

Cutty72 12-29-2009 02:42 PM

Yeah, there was a nasty blizzard over christmas, lots of roads closed. I know they couldn't get out of my place for 2 days, and I live about 5 miles from his parents!

t-homo 12-30-2009 12:07 AM

Yeah I know a few people who were stuck in Oklahoma City and parts of Eastern Kansas over christmas.

No Worries 12-31-2009 11:51 AM

It should be an interesting story. That storm was so big it dropped 8 inches of snow on us before Christmas, cleared out Christmas day, and then part of it circled back around and dropped another 2 inches after Christmas.

t-homo 12-31-2009 12:24 PM

Here in Missouri, it rained hard for a couple of days then started snowing. Not a ton of accumulation.

Carolina 01-01-2010 01:55 AM

ebbs has a girlfriend lmao i thought he was "single" lol

Trip 01-01-2010 08:15 PM

bastard still hasn't posted up about his ride.

I will have mine up before him and he has been back for a few days now.

Mr Lefty 01-13-2010 12:22 AM

sorry yall... been busy and to be honest... haven't really had the desire to check in...

but here's what happened.

Had to leave a day late, as some BS came up at work. ended up working from 0600 on Friday until 1000 on Sunday... yes straight through no sleep. then crashed and woke up at midnight Monday morning.

Got on the road at 0110 and headed out. only my fucking GPS wouldn't pull up the route. it'd sit on calculating.... for ever. so I tried to just let it find it's own route from my place to my brothers in Omaha. unfortunatly that took me completely by freeway. but as I was a day behind, it was fine with me.

The bike did great... it doesn't like anything over 80... but settled in at 75 just fine... though it gulped down the fuel at 38mpg.... (normally get 50) so that took some getting used to, but as it was REALLY cold out those early mornings in Mississippi... I was fine with stopping every 100 miles to fill up and thaw out.

the coldest part of the trip was north of KC... but for me... I FELT the coldest from Hattiesburg (about an hour and a half north of my house) to Memphis. think I just needed to aclimatize to being on the bike.

I stopped in Memphis and rented a shower at a Flying J. BEST IDEA EVER! stood in that for 30 mins and just let my body absorb the heat... then got dressed... tucking each layer in itself... (this is important... as if you tuck all the top layers into the same outermost layer, things will ride up and you'll end up with cold spots) I never got cold again for the rest of the trip...

most of the temps I saw were in the 20s... though from KC to Omaha it was single didgets for the last half of the trip... and teens for the first. I hit snow around the road in the shades in St Louis... snow everywhere except on the road just outside of KC... and snow ON the road 100 miles south of Omaha.

The weather got worse as I got closer to Omaha... but never felt the tires slip at all... I was still doing 45... and having no issues... the nice thing was there was little traffic... as everyone was headed south.

The one thing that did suck was the trucks! FUCK they do 75 in ANY weather... almost lost it once... to a tank slapper... but I was able to accelerate(to lighten the stearing) and push on both grips (to stabilize the wobble) and ride it out...

when I got to Omaha, I'd still planned to ride to Fargo, even with the impending storm as I only had to GET to fargo, but my GF called and wasn't gonna be able to drive me home... so it meant I had to find my own way home. this provided a big dilema, as I only had about 5-600 miles left on the tires I had on, and none of the shops I called had my sizes in stock. so I barrowed my brothers car, and left my bike in his garage in Omaha... where it sits right now.

Things I learned:

MO is very anti abortion...
Mississippi can be very cold
when wearing multiple layers, tuck each layer into itself not all into one... or the bottom layers will ride up and you'll have cold spots
the Oxford Grip Heaters are AWESOME! well worth the money.
the DRZ is WAY more comfortable to tour on than the RR or ZZR... just doesn't have the power... and needs re gearing.
People love the crazy guy headed north on a motorcycle in a blizzard
Truck Stop Showers are awesome to warm/wake your body... just buy some cheap shower shoes!*shiver*
Balaclava's are nice... but will still make you cold unless you have something between them and your skin (the cold air will still freeze the wind proof material and when that's on your neck you FREEZE)
anti fog spray does fuck all for your breath freezing on the visor at anything colder than 30*

I'll get my GPS stuff up soon... but I did 650 some odd miles the first day... stopping just west of St. Louis at 1600 or so (left at 0110) and left there at 0600 or so doing another 450 some odd miles arriving at my bro's at 1430ish.

sorry no pics... too cold and in too much of a hurry (mostly the hurry) to stop.

Sixxxxer 01-13-2010 01:33 AM

Im insulted that you had no desire to check in...

101lifts2 01-13-2010 01:38 AM

Dude u are the fucking man. I'm gonna take back what I said about you. The punk comment...lol

How do you keep the inside of the shield from freezing?

Mr Lefty 01-13-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 318920)
Im insulted that you had no desire to check in...

ehh with out the bike, and work being the way it is... along with a bit of drama in the rest of my life... didn't feel like getting on the internet at all...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 318921)
Dude u are the fucking man. I'm gonna take back what I said about you. The punk comment...lol

How do you keep the inside of the shield from freezing?

SWEET! this whole trip was just to prove you wrong! FINALLY! :lol:

actually I had to take a CLEAN pair of socks... wrap one around my neck... to insulate and run the other one down from my mouth to my chest... then put my balaclava on.

This actually did a couple things:
1. kept the cold off my neck from the frozen wind proof material of the balaclava....
2. kept my breath from freezing on the balaclava and sticking to my lips, and also kept the breath off my visor except at speeds of under 40... which I didn't hit much of. just on/off ramps and could usually slow my breathing down enough to get stopped or up to speed.
and 3. keep my neck from getting tired. with the DS helmets you have the visor like you do on an off road helmet... and this just pulls your head up and back.... doubling up the sock in the back keeps your helmet from being forced back, and lets your neck muscles rest.

in other news... I hit 4500 miles on the bike... not bad for a two month riding season. (makes 15500 for both bikes from March)

Trip 01-13-2010 09:17 AM

I got one of those thick beanie hats they sell at walmart and cut a hole in the top. It snugs perfect between my jacket and balaclava. Never had an issue with wind getting in.

Cutty72 01-13-2010 04:04 PM

Glad to hear you made it everywhere ok Ebbs. I was a bit worried when Nik told me about all the storms.

t-homo 01-13-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 318894)
Things I learned:

MO is very anti abortion...
Mississippi can be very cold
when wearing multiple layers, tuck each layer into itself not all into one... or the bottom layers will ride up and you'll have cold spots
the Oxford Grip Heaters are AWESOME! well worth the money.
the DRZ is WAY more comfortable to tour on than the RR or ZZR... just doesn't have the power... and needs re gearing.
People love the crazy guy headed north on a motorcycle in a blizzard
Truck Stop Showers are awesome to warm/wake your body... just buy some cheap shower shoes!*shiver*
Balaclava's are nice... but will still make you cold unless you have something between them and your skin (the cold air will still freeze the wind proof material and when that's on your neck you FREEZE)
anti fog spray does fuck all for your breath freezing on the visor at anything colder than 30*

I'll get my GPS stuff up soon... but I did 650 some odd miles the first day... stopping just west of St. Louis at 1600 or so (left at 0110) and left there at 0600 or so doing another 450 some odd miles arriving at my bro's at 1430ish.

sorry no pics... too cold and in too much of a hurry (mostly the hurry) to stop.

Sorry, forgot to warn you about the church signs right next to the porn shops.

Mr Lefty 01-14-2010 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 318969)
I got one of those thick beanie hats they sell at walmart and cut a hole in the top. It snugs perfect between my jacket and balaclava. Never had an issue with wind getting in.

wasn't an issue of wind... more that the wind froze the material, and THAT against my skin made me cold. I like your idea though...

I've got a lot of ideas for future trips... a good trip for gathering intel for touring