Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pitbull Stands (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21286)

pauldun170 05-02-2012 11:29 AM

Pitbull Stands

What's the general preference on stands (and why)
Spooled VS standard?
Forward handle vs regular handle?

bout time I got a proper stand now that I'm centerstandlesss

shmike 05-02-2012 11:39 AM

Spooled over standard. Stability, ease, etc. Why compromise? Get both.

I only have the regular handled ones but I think a reverse handle would be great for space saving reasons.

RACER X 05-02-2012 12:11 PM

i've had both , prefer reverse handled one, it goes both ways..........wink wink

now i have a cycle cat stand, made picking the busa up easier, thinking of getting another pitbull if i can "steal" a used one.

Trip 05-02-2012 12:15 PM

get the double sided stand thing where you can use spool and standard. Spooled always seemed more stable.

pauldun170 05-02-2012 01:30 PM

I'm leaning toward forward handled spool (Is it safe to assume that 'reverse' = the forward handled one on the pitbull site?)

Sean 05-02-2012 02:20 PM

Spooled is way better. Pit Bulls are really nice, and if I had some megabuck racebike that I was jacking up every 20 minutes I'd get it, but for the average streetbike I think cheaper stands are totally adequate.

Trip 05-02-2012 02:21 PM

I have pitbull stands and I don't even have a bike that needs them. LOL

pauldun170 05-02-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 511627)
Spooled is way better. Pit Bulls are really nice, and if I had some megabuck racebike that I was jacking up every 20 minutes I'd get it, but for the average streetbike I think cheaper stands are totally adequate.

Any recommendations for comparable stands? Specifically something similar to pitbulls forward handle models?

Trip 05-02-2012 02:41 PM

man, t-rex stands seem to have gotten a lot more expensive.

shmike 05-02-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 511632)
Any recommendations for comparable stands? Specifically something similar to pitbulls forward handle models?

Buy the Pit Bulls.

You can afford the $300 for a good set.

The only other stands I'd recommend are Vortex or Woodcraft but neither are as nice as the Pit Bulls.

Homeslice 05-02-2012 03:20 PM

I have the one-handled pitbull, where the handle points forward. Sure, it saves space, but it sucks because you can't have your sidestand down when using it. I don't know WTF they were thinking when they designed it. The handle should have gone on the other side, so that as you're letting it down, you could just let the bike fall onto its sidestand.

OneSickPsycho 05-02-2012 03:22 PM

I have a Vortex front stand that I got off a guy on craigslist - had to buy the pin off Amazon... total investment... like $48.

I have a Harbor Freight rear stand... got it for $23...

Harbor Freight stand BARELY fits my swingarm, but works... All in all, seems like a pretty rock solid setup, though if I were to have found a better rear on craigslist that the person didn't want top dollar for, I'd have one...

jtemple 05-02-2012 03:43 PM

The only advantage I can see over the rear hande vs. forward handle rear stand is that you can pick the rear handled one up slightly and push the bike around on the stand's wheels. I did that all the time when I had my ZX-10R. Seems like it might be a bit tougher with the forward handled stand.

pauldun170 05-02-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 511637)
I have the one-handled pitbull, where the handle points forward. Sure, it saves space, but it sucks because you can't have your sidestand down when using it. I don't know WTF they were thinking when they designed it. The handle should have gone on the other side, so that as you're letting it down, you could just let the bike fall onto its sidestand.

Hmmmmmmmm
Thanks for that info.

Forward handled Pitbull and kickstand shenanigans
or
Regular pitbull and having to rearrange my garage so I can leave the bike on the stand and not have the garage door land on the handle

Berry
Berry
Interplexing

Sean 05-02-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 511632)

I dunno, someone gave me a cheap stand and I've been using that. Cost me $free.99.

Gas Man 05-03-2012 04:24 PM

I've owned pitbulls and they are amazing. Well worth the price.

JARVIS518 05-05-2012 11:53 AM

i have a vortex rear and a pitbull front and they are both great stands, totally worth the money the only issue i had with pitbulls front stand is i have to move the horn to get the pin completely in to remove the front wheel but for storage i just rest it on the horn

pauldun170 05-05-2012 12:44 PM

Pitbull SS rear stand ordered...
Thanks for the help guys

Gas Man 05-05-2012 07:45 PM

Here's the pitbull stands I had... amazing pieces

You can see here on the rear that it does both spools and non spools
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ingTime007.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ingTime006.jpg

Front neck stand
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...areback008.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ingTime008.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ogether004.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ingTime022.jpg

Both
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ngTime005a.jpg

jtemple 05-05-2012 11:25 PM

Same setup I had. Sold them on this forum and pretty much got nothing for them. I got hammered on shipping.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jd...2/P6280001.JPG

Cutty72 05-06-2012 10:53 PM

Love my pit bulls for the buell. Use them when I'm working on either bike, use my t-rex's for storage of the SV in the winter.

Amber Lamps 05-06-2012 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 511825)
Pitbull SS rear stand ordered...
Thanks for the help guys

Too late..... I've had the Pit Bull rear and I now have the Vortex.

Three things;

1. Removable handle that snaps into place on the stand out of the way.

2. Two axle holders-very handy!

3. Four wide wheels make it easier to move the bike while on the stand.

Homeslice 05-07-2012 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the money, DMP quality is better than expected

RACER X 05-07-2012 07:20 AM

cycle cat stands if you have a heavy bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P-xBKibjBw

fasternyou929 05-07-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 511637)

I have the one-handled pitbull also, but the use of it doesn't interfere with my sidestand. Even if it did I would prefer to be on the left side of my bike when lowering it. I wouldn't want to be on the right side of my bike, leaning it away from me until it catches on the stand. The first time the sidestand folds up on you there's no way you're catching your bike when it falls away from you.

jtemple 05-07-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 511907)
I have the one-handled pitbull also, but the use of it doesn't interfere with my sidestand. Even if it did I would prefer to be on the left side of my bike when lowering it. I wouldn't want to be on the right side of my bike, leaning it away from me until it catches on the stand. The first time the sidestand folds up on you there's no way you're catching your bike when it falls away from you.

Yep, that always makes me nervous as hell, lowering the bike onto the kickstand from the wrong side.

Homeslice 05-07-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 511907)

How does it not interfere with your stand? On every bike I've used it with, I have to raise the sidestand in order to rotate the arm fully to the ground.

Also, when I am ready to let the bike down, I stand on that side of the bike and begin raising the arm, while bear-hugging the bike with my other arm. Then as I let the bike down, I pull it towards me so that it falls on the sidestand. I don't trust my ability to keep the bike from falling, which is why I want the sidestand to be down. Problem with the pitbull is that it makes you put your sidestand up while using it, which means that when you're ready to put the bike down, you can't put the sidestand back down until the pitbull's arm is almost at the point of no return. Each bike is different though.

fasternyou929 05-07-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 511915)
How does it not interfere with your stand? On every bike I've used it with, I have to raise the sidestand in order to rotate the arm fully to the ground.

Also, when I am ready to let the bike down, I stand on that side of the bike and begin raising the arm, while bear-hugging the bike with my other arm. Then as I let the bike down, I pull it towards me so that it falls on the sidestand. I don't trust my ability to keep the bike from falling, which is why I want the sidestand to be down. Problem with the pitbull is that it makes you put your sidestand up while using it, which means that when you're ready to put the bike down, you can't put the sidestand back down until the pitbull's arm is almost at the point of no return. Each bike is different though.

It clears my sidestand by at least an inch ('07 1000RR). Have you tried adjusting the slides on the pit bull stand to see if you can make it clear without losing stability? I can see where that would be annoying if you couldn't have the stand down while lowering the bike.

That said, I drop mine pretty fast and have never had a problem with it trying to get away from me when it touches the ground. Just a light hold on the left clip-on is more than enough to give it some stability until I throw a leg over it, or lean it on the sidestand.

RACER X 05-08-2012 10:01 AM

dang somebody got a deal

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3002126411.html

Gas Man 05-08-2012 10:04 AM

You aren't kidding!!

tommymac 05-08-2012 10:07 AM

Damn, thats a good deal.

RACER X 05-08-2012 10:28 AM

RIGHT, I tried texting dude.

already gone.

Homeslice 05-08-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 511918)
It clears my sidestand by at least an inch ('07 1000RR). Have you tried adjusting the slides on the pit bull stand to see if you can make it clear without losing stability? I can see where that would be annoying if you couldn't have the stand down while lowering the bike.

That said, I drop mine pretty fast and have never had a problem with it trying to get away from me when it touches the ground. Just a light hold on the left clip-on is more than enough to give it some stability until I throw a leg over it, or lean it on the sidestand.

If you mean adjust, you mean the bolts that allow it to go up or down, or side to side. To me that's all dependant on the dimensions of the swingarm and doesn't offer much opportunity for change.

I guess I could shave off the perpendicular piece that sticks out of the sidestand, lol

pauldun170 05-10-2012 09:29 PM

Showed up today with the box looking like it was dropped a couple of times.
Guess I'll be using the standard padded part for awhile since it didn't come with spools.

Nice that it's toolless. First time lift was quick, easy and filled with paranoia.

Trip 05-10-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 512200)
Showed up today with the box looking like it was dropped a couple of times.
Guess I'll be using the standard padded part for awhile since it didn't come with spools.

Nice that it's toolless. First time lift was quick, easy and filled with paranoia.

It's toolless now? Post some pics.

fasternyou929 05-10-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 512200)
...toolless. First time lift was quick, easy and filled with paranoia.

Sounds like Trip's first time. :lol

Trip 05-10-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 512207)
Sounds like Trip's first time. :lol

Weirdly, that's pretty accurate besides the toolless.... Was scared shitless her parents were going to show up at her house at any moment. :lol:

pauldun170 05-12-2012 02:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Cutty72 05-12-2012 04:19 PM

Nice, now get some spools, fool.

Homeslice 05-12-2012 09:33 PM

Thought you ordered the single-sided one?

pauldun170 05-12-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 512296)
Thought you ordered the single-sided one?

I skipped it after your comment about interfering with ks. So I figured I'd play it safe.

shmike 05-17-2012 12:32 PM

Nice.

Pit Bull is constantly improving. I like the tab on the locking nut to make it finger adjustable.

They are not offering a removable handle too, which wold have been a very wise upgrade based on your space requirements. redflip