Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Getting over a crash (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21374)

Sean 05-21-2012 06:13 PM

Getting over a crash

What's the best way to get past the mental issues that come with a crash?

First time the girl rode, she crashed pretty good. Hand slipped off the clutch and goosed the throttle when she rotated her hand to grab the brake. Bad news all around.

Now, every time she gets on the bike she's petrified. Literally shaking.

Tips?

(yes it's about a dirt bike but I figure this is more fitting in the street section)

Trip 05-21-2012 06:24 PM

More riding...

If she doesn't want to ride, sometimes its best just to give it up. I know that is a hard concept for us dedicated riders to grasp, but some people shouldn't be on bikes.

RedRider2k2 05-21-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 512805)
More riding...

If she doesn't want to ride, sometimes its best just to give it up. I know that is a hard concept for us dedicated riders to grasp, but some people shouldn't be on bikes.

Sad but true. If she cant calm herself down and focus then she can be an even bigger danger to herself and people around her.

Tmall 05-21-2012 07:53 PM

Exactly. More seat time. I ride dirt exclusively now. And I wipe out hard, often. I always find myself apprehensive for the first of every ride. Then I realize how much fun twisting the throttle is and get over it.

The best analogy I can give, When you start riding any incident with a cage is scary. After years of riding you can almost be killed in traffic, shake your head and ride on.

OneSickPsycho 05-21-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 512805)
More riding...

Absolutely. Ride more, go ridiculously slow... love it or don't.

Rangerscott 05-21-2012 09:45 PM

Bicycle?

Get one of those 100cc chinese bikes off of craigslist and let her screw around on it.

Homeslice 05-21-2012 10:52 PM

If she had been riding a few times before the crash, she could get over it. But the crash happened on her first ride? That's gonna be way harder.

Did this happen during an MSF class, or just with some friend teaching her (which could make lots of people nervous).

Sean 05-23-2012 11:31 AM

Her first ride. In the dirt, so no MSF.

I took her out once previous and she fell 50x and bounced back every time, but my KTM was just too damn big so she didn't get anywhere. First time on her 125 and boom.

Really I just want to get to a point where I can go to an MX park and say "Have fun!!" and go ride the vet track without babysitting.

Dave 05-23-2012 11:52 AM

Gotta get back on immediately

Homeslice 05-23-2012 12:03 PM

Wait, she fell before?

Sean 05-23-2012 12:05 PM

Took her out on my KTM and she kept tipping over.

azoomm 05-23-2012 02:59 PM

It seems she is more afraid of the bike than the crash.

Does she have her own?

Sean 05-23-2012 03:08 PM

Yeah she's got a TTR. Was all gung-ho and jumping into things until the crash. It's all totally understandable.

Trip 05-23-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 512961)
Really I just want to get to a point where I can go to an MX park and say "Have fun!!" and go ride the vet track without babysitting.

Well let her find a hobby she can enjoy and not get hurt while you go to the MX track, she is most likely doing this more for you than for herself and you just want to be rid of her if you go by this statement.

Sean 05-23-2012 03:57 PM

Yeah, that wasn't my intention at all. Our levels are pretty far apart right now. Gonna be a while before we're riding Moab.

azoomm 05-23-2012 04:17 PM

With riding, she's got to want it. It seems she gave it a go, started to like it, got on your KTM and freaked herself out. Have her start over on the ttr. It took you how long to get to the ability you're at? I'm not saying baby her, in fact, I'd make a point to not hover. But, let her actually learn without you hovering. She might have it in her head that she is disappointing you by not learning fast enough.

Girl brain is really awful. For everyone.

Rangerscott 05-23-2012 09:12 PM

When I went down a couple years ago, I had flash backs of Korea. I got back up and stared at the first swamp rat and said...........Get off my lawn.

shmike 05-24-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 512989)
With riding, she's got to want it. It seems she gave it a go, started to like it, got on your KTM and freaked herself out. Have her start over on the ttr. It took you how long to get to the ability you're at? I'm not saying baby her, in fact, I'd make a point to not hover. But, let her actually learn without you hovering. She might have it in her head that she is disappointing you by not learning fast enough.

Girl brain is really awful. For everyone.

I think you're reading it backward.

He took her out on his KTM, she tipped over a lot: no biggie.

He buys her a TTR 125. She rides around, has fun. She then crashes and can't get over it.

Sean 05-24-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 513014)
I think you're reading it backward.

He took her out on his KTM, she tipped over a lot: no biggie.

He buys her a TTR 125. She rides around, has fun. She then crashes and can't get over it.

Right...except the very first time she rode the TTR she crashed big. Like, within 50 feet.

azoomm 05-24-2012 09:30 PM

Sorry. Girl brain. See, can't fix that.

Dave 05-24-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 513046)
Sorry. Girl brain. See, can't fix that.

quoted for truth. sometimes i feel id get better logic from a speak and spell

Rangerscott 05-24-2012 10:40 PM

Can you throttle lock so it'll only move so much? Keep her from pulling an Evel Knievel.

What about a 4 wheeler for the time being?

Sean 05-25-2012 12:13 AM

The first time she soloed on a bike it shot away from her into a wall and she had to put her wrist in a sling for two weeks. It's not "girl brain", it's a very logical reaction. Anyone would be a little spooked if this were their first experience on a bike. Not helpful.

azoomm 05-25-2012 07:38 AM

No, you're not understanding me. It seems, to her, riding a motorcycle is like doing complicated math. I've seen a ton of times.

The only way over that is determination. SHE has to want it. Unfortunately, riding is the only way to create the muscle memory for riding. If a 125 throttle is too much for her, this might not be something for her to master. That is, unless SHE wants it.

I've seen it go both ways. But, it seems the best way for her to want it is for you to walk away and do your thing.

Sign her up for a class (or five) without you. I can assure you, in her head she is disappointing you.

I recommend loved ones stay the heck away from someone learning to drive cars and motorcycles. Expectations, whether real or not, get in the way of the learning process.

OneSickPsycho 05-25-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 513066)
No, you're not understanding me. It seems, to her, riding a motorcycle is like doing complicated math. I've seen a ton of times.

The only way over that is determination. SHE has to want it. Unfortunately, riding is the only way to create the muscle memory for riding. If a 125 throttle is too much for her, this might not be something for her to master. That is, unless SHE wants it.

I've seen it go both ways. But, it seems the best way for her to want it is for you to walk away and do your thing.

Sign her up for a class (or five) without you. I can assure you, in her head she is disappointing you.

I recommend loved ones stay the heck away from someone learning to drive cars and motorcycles. Expectations, whether real or not, get in the way of the learning process.

MSF for the win.

Trip 05-25-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 513073)
MSF for the win.

If he is wanting her to ride dirt, this is almost useless and will teach bad dirt habits. Unless he can find the dirt oriented version.

Just keep practicing with her if you can't find something specific. Find out if this is where her heart is or if this is an activity you are projecting on her.

OneSickPsycho 05-25-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 513074)
If he is wanting her to ride dirt, this is almost useless and will teach bad dirt habits. Unless he can find the dirt oriented version.

Just keep practicing with her if you can't find something specific. Find out if this is where her heart is or if this is an activity you are projecting on her.

I call BS on that. Getting comfortable on two wheels, learning proficiency with the controls... can be very worthwhile. From the sounds of it, she doesn't even have the very basics down and is uncomfortable with the whole thing. Riding around in circles at 10-20mph isn't that much different on dirt vs asphalt... and could help her gain some confidence.

Trip 05-25-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 513075)
I call BS on that. Getting comfortable on two wheels, learning proficiency with the controls... can be very worthwhile. From the sounds of it, she doesn't even have the very basics down and is uncomfortable with the whole thing. Riding around in circles at 10-20mph isn't that much different on dirt vs asphalt... and could help her gain some confidence.

There is a reason they have a dirt version. Riding around on a fat pig mini cruiser /= light small dirtbike.

http://www.dirtbikeschool.org/

I am not a fan of the MSF anyway. Think it's a waste of time, only reason to do it is to get the insurance discount.

azoomm 05-25-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 513074)

Yeah, I wouldn't MSF in this case either. I'd find someone else to teach her though.

There are a TON of dirt classes out there.

skiergirl 05-25-2012 01:43 PM

some people, men and women just aren't meant to ride a bike! it's that simple! From what you said she has crashed every single time she's thrown a leg over a dirt bike. That's a problem. I crashed plenty riding too when I started, mainly sliding out in corners but if you crash every single time, you're doing something wrong. I LOVE to ride, I'm not fast enough to make all the big doubles and I roll some shit I shouldn't be rolling on the track but I LOVE being out there. I come back to the truck after laps on the track with a huge grin on my face. If she doesn't love it like that you're wasting your time. You only put effort into things you truly want for yourself and if she can't get over her fear she's a danger to herself and those around her.

Sean 05-25-2012 10:59 PM

Man, some of you are really blowing this way out of proportion and inferring a bunch of stuff that just ain't there.

Agreed on me not hovering. That's why I suggested we go to an MX park, not to ditch her. Cripes, people.