Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Cage Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   WTF does Max A/C do? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14701)

Homeslice 05-14-2010 04:12 PM

WTF does Max A/C do?

I've heard people say that the only thing Max A/C does is simply operate the flap which shuts off outside air, so that air inside the car gets cold faster. But if that's all it does, then why does the fan speed increase as well?

Dave 05-14-2010 04:14 PM

Might be an aux fan that guides the recirc air to the inlet

Homeslice 05-14-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 372707)
Might be an aux fan that guides the recirc air to the inlet

Hmm......I thought there was only one fan (usually on the firewall near the wiper motor)

Particle Man 05-14-2010 04:19 PM

I always thought it was because of different pressure in the car once the air is being recirculated making the fan blades go faster.

Rider 05-14-2010 04:23 PM

:idk: None of my cars have that. Auto climate control FTW.

Homeslice 05-14-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 372714)

Several cars, like the Ford Fusion, have both automatic climate control and a max A/C setting.

Particle Man 05-14-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 372714)

It may not be labled "MAX A/C" but if there's a button that recirculates the air you're doing the same thing.

goof2 05-14-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 372706)
I've heard people say that the only thing Max A/C does is simply operate the flap which shuts off outside air, so that air inside the car gets cold faster. But if that's all it does, then why does the fan speed increase as well?

My guess, and it may be what Particle man meant as well, is when the A/C is set to get fresh air it is putting new air in the car. The old air has to be forced out somewhere creating higher pressure in the cabin. The fan runs slower because it has to overcome that pressure differential to get the new air in the cabin. When set on recirc it is drawing air from the cabin, cooling it, then replacing it back in the cabin. The fan does not have to work against the increased cabin pressure, its job is easier, and as a result it can run faster. I know in my truck when the A/C is set to get outside air its output increases if I crack the window open.

Particle Man 05-14-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 372724)
My guess, and it may be what Particle man meant as well, is when the A/C is set to get fresh air it is putting new air in the car. The old air has to be forced out somewhere creating higher pressure in the cabin. The fan runs slower because it has to overcome that pressure differential to get the new air in the cabin. When set on recirc it is drawing air from the cabin, cooling it, then replacing it back in the cabin. The fan does not have to work against the increased cabin pressure, its job is easier, and as a result it can run faster. I know in my truck when the A/C is set to get outside air its output increases if I crack the window open.

you said it a helluva lot better than I did :lol:

Sean 05-14-2010 05:16 PM

it turns the recirc on.