Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Touring (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Gas thread (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=655)

z06boy 03-20-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 19351)
Damn GMan that was actually very interesting for me... :dthumb:

I agree...I haven't been keeping up with this thread and I knew you went by Gas Man but dayum...now I'm actually impressed. :phat: :lol: :beers:

Gas Man 03-20-2008 04:06 PM

Yeah its not Gas Man cause I fart!

z06boy 03-21-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 20582)
Yeah its not Gas Man cause I fart!

:rofl: I didn't know if was for like stepping on the gas or something.

dubbs 03-21-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 20542)
Yes ethynol is cheaper... and in the winter they inject butane in the gas as well!!!!

Anymore Dlit... ethynol is always added to everything... I'm just saying that its a cleaner, it really is just de-natured achohol.

Here's another sniplet from another gas thread on WOS

Does the butane in the gas have any effect on MPG?

I've noticed in my 40mpg beater that we average a bit less now, doing the same driving, then in the summer..

Gas Man 03-21-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 20910)

I've noticed in my 40mpg beater that we average a bit less now, doing the same driving, then in the summer..

I'm not sure... I don't think so...

Cutty72 03-21-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Probably cause it's cold out.

1. you may let it idle more, to warm up.
2. cold air is more dense, thus, more air is run into your engine. more air means more fuel.

dubbs 03-22-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 21092)

2. cold air is more dense, thus, more air is run into your engine. more air means more fuel.

We don't let it idle more..

But yeah, I agree with the second one.. Makes sense..

ceo012384 03-23-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 20542)
Yes ethynol is cheaper... and in the winter they inject butane in the gas as well!!!!

Anymore Dlit... ethynol is always added to everything... I'm just saying that its a cleaner, it really is just de-natured achohol.

So isn't the main problem that Ethynol provides less energy when it combusts, and also burns at a different speed than typical gasoline?

Thus that is why bikes (which require more precise air/fuel mixing and higher octane due to high rpms) don't work well with anything more than 10% ethynol?

Wouldn't running a higher-percentage ethynol blend be similar to running too low of an octane, i.e. you would get detonation and pinging?
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 21092)

The warm up and idling stuff is a good point.

Also, you're generally travelling slower and thus getting worse mileage.

But the cold air part... I don't think so... the same amount of fuel is injected each time the injector squirts... but since the air is denser, the compression ratio actually goes up and the engine is MORE efficient and makes MORE power with the same amount of gas.

Also, the cooling system (radiator fans and such) need to do less work to keep the engine at optimum temperature... which would increase the mpg theoretically...

pickle.of.doom 03-23-2008 12:49 AM

I'd say that your car is just starting to run shittier than it used to, and you will still see the less MPG even when summer hits.

Gas Man 03-23-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

So isn't the main problem that Ethynol provides less energy when it combusts, and also burns at a different speed than typical gasoline?

Thus that is why bikes (which require more precise air/fuel mixing and higher octane due to high rpms) don't work well with anything more than 10% ethynol?

Wouldn't running a higher-percentage ethynol blend be similar to running too low of an octane, i.e. you would get detonation and pinging?
No the ehtynol isn't effecting you. You won't find it higher than 10% in today's market. Its not truely effecting anything. Its definately not a octane thing... the ethynol itself is 103 octane so that's not it. The more you got in the higher your octane would be. Its after the ethynol is added that they add in 86 or 87 octane gas to knock the octane level back down to 93. Otherwise it would be a great deal higher when they added the ehtynol to the 93 octane gas.