Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Cage Hell (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Any BMW owners? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=3773)

SteveP 11-22-2008 08:09 PM

Any BMW owners?

My wife and I have been looking at used 530 or 540i's over the last few weeks. Probably somewhere around the 00-03 range. I plan on using this car as a daily driver and a tow vehicle for my SV. Anyone have some experience. The 540 would be a better choice for towing ( I think ).

azoomm 11-22-2008 08:19 PM

I'm sorry, you're considering a 540 for it's towing ability?

Mr Lefty 11-22-2008 08:22 PM

well he is only considering towing a bike... so shit either one would be fine... I've seen a honda accord pull a simple trailer with a sport bike on it.

but what kind of trailer do you have in mind? a simple 500lb trailer will do... but you planning on a fully inclosed 1500lb jobie?

askmrjesus 11-22-2008 08:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken, this thread belongs in Pauldun's car forum...:lol:

JC

SteveP 11-22-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 106193)
I'm sorry, you're considering a 540 for it's towing ability?

No, I want a 540i with the M package cause its a bad motherfucker.

That being said I cant afford a truck and a car. So I need a car that will tow a light (200lb) trailer and my 400lb SV to the track a few times a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 106198)
If I'm not mistaken, this thread belongs in Pauldun's car forum...:lol:

JC

Is there a car forum?

askmrjesus 11-22-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 106200)
Is there a car forum?

:lol:

There will be, if Paul has anything to say about it. :lol:

JC

Mr Lefty 11-22-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

That being said I cant afford a truck and a car. So I need a car that will tow a light (200lb) trailer and my 400lb SV to the track a few times a year.

Is there a car forum?

if it's just a 200lb trailer... your looking at basically 500-600lb trailer with the bike... you should have NO problems towing that with any modern suv. shit even a lot of car's will do that.

azoomm 11-22-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

:dthumb:

OK. I've heard a more strange search though... :lol:

Mr Lefty 11-22-2008 08:40 PM

all the truth is... you CAN afford a truck and a car... but you can't afford a BMW "truck" and a car.

get an old solid pos for your truck... and pickup a honda or toyota for the car... probably still under the price of the BMW :2cents:

VFR Rider 11-22-2008 08:52 PM

With towing, comes hauling other crap... (gas, tools, etc.) which comes more wear and tear on the car itself. Any vehicle I have ever used for transporting stuff becomes worn... no something I would want in my BMW M-5 series car.

BMW's are fine cars, but I wouldn't consider one for towing.

Racerboy 11-22-2008 09:08 PM

530 has an inline 6 and will be pretty torquey and prolly better on fuel econoy and at towing overall. The 540 has either a 4.0 or 4.4 Litre V8....great for overall power but SUCKS when it comes to MPG.

SteveP 11-22-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 106214)
all the truth is... you CAN afford a truck and a car... but you can't afford a BMW "truck" and a car.

get an old solid pos for your truck... and pickup a honda or toyota for the car... probably still under the price of the BMW :2cents:

I don't want an old POS truck or a POS Honda/Toyota (same car IMO)

In reality I'll probably do 2 track days a year tops so towing really isn't a priority for me. Just something it needs to do every once in awhile. Kinda like the wife and laundry. BTW. The BMW I'm looking at is not a truck/suv. It's a 4 door sedan.

SteveP 11-22-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racerboy (Post 106248)
530 has an inline 6 and will be pretty torquey and prolly better on fuel econoy and at towing overall. The 540 has either a 4.0 or 4.4 Litre V8....great for overall power but SUCKS when it comes to MPG.

I'll definitely be looking at both the 530/40. Gas mileage is a factor, but not the deciding one. I commute mainly with my SV, so the car is used much less.

OneSickPsycho 11-22-2008 11:14 PM

I think you should go this route... Then you can get a 3 series Beamer...

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/res...Civico_494.jpg

fnfalman 11-22-2008 11:48 PM

Get the 540. The 5-series is heavy as hell and that V-8 will come in handy. Fuck the gas mileage.

thunderex 11-23-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 106182)
My wife and I have been looking at used 530 or 540i's over the last few weeks. Probably somewhere around the 00-03 range. I plan on using this car as a daily driver and a tow vehicle for my SV. Anyone have some experience. The 540 would be a better choice for towing ( I think ).

Lotta Tuono riders in this place. Oh, btw, totally off topic, but I just noticed you're from Kailua. I'm going to be there first week of January. Rented a house for me, my wife, my brother and his girl, my folks and my in-laws. Got suggestions on local stuff to do?

Mr Lefty 11-23-2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 106383)

In reality I'll probably do 2 track days a year tops so towing really isn't a priority for me. Just something it needs to do every once in awhile. Kinda like the wife and laundry. BTW. The BMW I'm looking at is not a truck/suv. It's a 4 door sedan.

really... you'd buy a BMW but call honda and toyota a POS... :lmao:

SteveP 11-23-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 106464)
really... you'd buy a BMW but call honda and toyota a POS... :lmao:

You may not follow my logic. But my reasons are sound.

Hondas and Toyotas are a dime a dozen. Probably the same rationale as to why I own an Italian motorcycle.

SteveP 11-23-2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderex (Post 106463)
Lotta Tuono riders in this place. Oh, btw, totally off topic, but I just noticed you're from Kailua. I'm going to be there first week of January. Rented a house for me, my wife, my brother and his girl, my folks and my in-laws. Got suggestions on local stuff to do?

How many times have you been to Oahu?

Haunamu bay is cool, visiting the north shore for lunch is nice. Kailua beach is world renowned, as is Lani Kai ( a stones throw away ). If you're into military history the Arizona Memorial, Punchbowl Pacific National Cemetery, and the Battleship Missouri are a must see. Let me know what you have in mind and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

If you want to go ride let me know, I'll show ya around.

Mr Lefty 11-23-2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 106479)
You may not follow my logic. But my reasons are sound.

Hondas and Toyotas are a dime a dozen. Probably the same rationale as to why I own an Italian motorcycle.

sorry... but you may not like toyota's or honda's... but that doesn't qualify them as POS's...

shit Suzuki get's rag'd on alot in the sport bike world as it's the squid bike of choice... but fucker's are solid bikes.

ok so you like rare(ish) vehicles... I can understand your point of view... but because you choose to pick rarity first... doesn't make everything else a pos.

KIA... that's a pos :lol:

SteveP 11-23-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 106481)

We can agree on that :dthumb:

pauldun170 11-23-2008 03:16 AM

Used BMW's = fun fun fun

Mr Lefty 11-23-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 106486)
We can agree on that :dthumb:

:lol:

MikeSP1 11-23-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 106383)

You can't have your cake and eat it too. ANY Ford Ranger will haul your Italian scoot with absolutely no problems, and the 2-wheel drive models have less ground clearance (and are less expensive) than the 4x4 versions, so getting the bike in the bed is much easier and negates the need (and $) for a trailer. Or get the trailer, put the bike on the trailer and throw all your gear/tools/parts in the bed. A 2001 Ranger with a 4 banger runs about 5K and keeps the wear off of your 5-series.

Who cares that your tow vehicle isn't a rare German sedan. The reason that people with common sense don't use BMWs cars for tow vehicles is because it's not cost effective. And here's a good question, where the hell are you gonna get a hitch receiver for your 5-series? How much is it gonna cost? Wear and tear on that car because of towing is gonna cost a lot more in the long run than the cost of the pickup.

SteveP 11-23-2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSP1 (Post 106490)
You can't have your cake and eat it too. ANY Ford Ranger will haul your Italian scoot with absolutely no problems, and the 2-wheel drive models have less ground clearance (and are less expensive) than the 4x4 versions, so getting the bike in the bed is much easier and negates the need (and $) for a trailer. Or get the trailer, put the bike on the trailer and throw all your gear/tools/parts in the bed. A 2001 Ranger with a 4 banger runs about 5K and keeps the wear off of your 5-series.

Who cares that your tow vehicle isn't a rare German sedan. The reason that people with common sense don't use BMWs cars for tow vehicles is because it's not cost effective. And here's a good question, where the hell are you gonna get a hitch receiver for your 5-series? How much is it gonna cost? Wear and tear on that car because of towing is gonna cost a lot more in the long run than the cost of the pickup.

I guess my argument is.. For a few thousand more I could have a nice, fully loaded, german sedan. The 4 banger ranger is a gas pig as well, sure it has a bed, but that's about as much as an advantage as it has. Highway for the ranger is only 24mpg (brand new), compared to the 21 of the BMW. I also looked at full sized F150's. But again, it has a bed, other then that it's just a big ass truck. I can find a hitch online for about $200 for the 5 series, and I can install it myself.

MikeSP1 11-23-2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 106503)
I guess my argument is.. For a few thousand more I could have a nice, fully loaded, german sedan. The 4 banger ranger is a gas pig as well, sure it has a bed, but that's about as much as an advantage as it has. Highway for the ranger is only 24mpg (brand new), compared to the 21 of the BMW. I also looked at full sized F150's. But again, it has a bed, other then that it's just a big ass truck. I can find a hitch online for about $200 for the 5 series, and I can install it myself.

All I'm saying is this, you can easily pick up a small truck for cheap that gets better highway gas mileage than the BMW. And the only thing you'd use the truck for is hauling your bike to and from trackdays, not commuting to/from work. I'm not saying to not get the BMW, but it was not designed/intended to be used in that manner. Use the proper tool for the job.

And FWIW, my V-6 Ranger got better than 26 mpg in town until the day I sold it.

Particle Man 11-23-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 106481)

Hey don't pick on my poor Kia :lol:

VatorMan 11-23-2008 09:35 AM

I guess it depends on the area. Around here BMW's and Porsche are a dime a dozen.

You might want to check the BMW forums. Seems both cars you are interested in have some electrical gremlins. I would get an extended warranty for either one.

Cass 11-23-2008 11:34 AM

We have an R1200RT, and have been looking at a light tourer for me. No German cars though :shrug:

Amber Lamps 11-23-2008 12:05 PM

Anyone who has lived in Germany/Europe knows that this man has made a valid decision. I've seen Mercedes towing trailers. We had a hitch on my Dad's old Eldorado when I was a kid. I plan to put a hitch on my Bonneville to go to Daytona next year. My point is that the man can easily find hitch for that car and it's tow rated(V-8 anyway) a class II tow vehicle. He can get a "flat tongue" receiver hidden hitch at U-Haul for about $250 installed. Why would ANYONE buy a second vehicle to do something TWICE a year,which was this man's stated purpose?

For the record,I owned a "4 banger" S-10 and it SUCKED for towing! The fuel mileage was HORRIBLE! I was going to Daytona in a "caravan" and I had to stop way more times than guys driving Navigators and Escalades!

I know that I do the same thing but it is humorous to see people form opinions about things they know absolutely nothing about. I worked for U-Haul for a couple years and they sell hitches for pretty much ANY vehicle you can name! BTW I've seen Goldwings tow a small trailer with a sportbike on it in Daytona several times!

OneSickPsycho 11-23-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 106638)
Anyone who has lived in Germany/Europe knows that this man has made a valid decision. I've seen Mercedes towing trailers. We had a hitch on my Dad's old Eldorado when I was a kid. I plan to put a hitch on my Bonneville to go to Daytona next year. My point is that the man can easily find hitch for that car and it's tow rated(V-8 anyway) a class II tow vehicle. He can get a "flat tongue" receiver hidden hitch at U-Haul for about $250 installed. Why would ANYONE buy a second vehicle to do something TWICE a year,which was this man's stated purpose?

For the record,I owned a "4 banger" S-10 and it SUCKED for towing! The fuel mileage was HORRIBLE! I was going to Daytona in a "caravan" and I had to stop way more times than guys driving Navigators and Escalades!

I know that I do the same thing but it is humorous to see people form opinions about things they know absolutely nothing about. I worked for U-Haul for a couple years and they sell hitches for pretty much ANY vehicle you can name! BTW I've seen Goldwings tow a small trailer with a sportbike on it in Daytona several times!

Now that my friend, may be the only way to travel.

Dave 11-23-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 106563)
I guess it depends on the area. Around here BMW's and Porsche are a dime a dozen.

You might want to check the BMW forums. Seems both cars you are interested in have some electrical gremlins. I would get an extended warranty for either one.

true story, i must see 50 to 100 of them every day. and each one driven by a total prick.

SteveP 11-23-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 106644)
true story, i must see 50 to 100 of them every day. and each one driven by a total prick.

Does that mean I'll turn into a prick if I buy one? Or possibly that only total pricks buy BMW's. :whistle:

Dave 11-23-2008 02:36 PM

that you are so hung up on one makes you extremely suspect :lmao: