Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone use Speedbleeders? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=6159)

Quick281 02-21-2009 07:19 AM

Anyone use Speedbleeders?

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Thinking about ordering these so that I can bleed my brakes in the near future.

Anyone used these? Thoughts? Other ideas?

Ideally I would upgrade the lines and pads as well but for now just changing out the fluid is the safest bet for dealing with some sponginess. :dthumb:

askmrjesus 02-21-2009 09:11 AM

I've used them, and they work well on simple, single line systems like rear brakes, but for an extra $20.00 you can pick up a decent vacuum bleeder, which, in my opinion, is much better at getting to pesky air bubbles that are reluctant to leave your system.

The speedbleeder site claims that you can get air into your system using a vacuum bleeder if you do it wrong, and this is true, but you can also get air into your system bleeding the old, "Squeeze and release" method, so the the solution is simple. Don't do it wrong. :lol:

Another trick I've learned, is to tap on places where air bubbles are likely to get stuck, (fittings, splitter blocks, etc.) with the base of a screwdriver, in order to "knock them loose". You'd want to do that when the system is under vacuum. On really difficult systems, like pain in the ass BMW ABS systems, I've even left the vacuum bleeder on overnight.

JC

Gas Man 02-21-2009 09:26 AM

I've used them... attach a hose and they work pretty good.

However, I have also had them work like shit. Even on single line systems....

tommymac 02-21-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 168949)
I've used them, and they work well on simple, single line systems like rear brakes, but for an extra $20.00 you can pick up a decent vacuum bleeder, which, in my opinion, is much better at getting to pesky air bubbles that are reluctant to leave your system.

The speedbleeder site claims that you can get air into your system using a vacuum bleeder if you do it wrong, and this is true, but you can also get air into your system bleeding the old, "Squeeze and release" method, so the the solution is simple. Don't do it wrong. :lol:

Another trick I've learned, is to tap on places where air bubbles are likely to get stuck, (fittings, splitter blocks, etc.) with the base of a screwdriver, in order to "knock them loose". You'd want to do that when the system is under vacuum. On really difficult systems, like pain in the ass BMW ABS systems, I've even left the vacuum bleeder on overnight.

JC

I have been abig fan of the mity vacs and have been using them for a long time and has worked well for me. Sometimes an extra set of hands is helpful in using it but I have no complaints otherwise.

Tom

askmrjesus 02-21-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 168953)
I have been abig fan of the mity vacs and have been using them for a long time and has worked well for me. Sometimes an extra set of hands is helpful in using it but I have no complaints otherwise.

Tom

Yeah, that's what I have too, nice tool.

Here's another trick I forgot to mention, on some calipers the bleeder is located at the bottom, instead of the top, which is backwards from an air bubble's point of view. I've found that it works well to remove the caliper from the mount, and hold it upside down while bleeding it. An extra set of hands is a big help in this situation.

JC

Quick281 02-21-2009 10:07 AM

Yeah the two options I have seen discussed everywhere are the speed bleeders and the mity vac.

I don't mind spending the extra money, just want it done right the first time.

azoomm 02-21-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 168957)
Yeah, that's what I have too, nice tool.

Here's another trick I forgot to mention, on some calipers the bleeder is located at the bottom, instead of the top, which is backwards from an air bubble's point of view. I've found that it works well to remove the caliper from the mount, and hold it upside down while bleeding it. An extra set of hands is a big help in this situation.

JC

Mighty Vac and gravity works well together.

I have a speed bleeder - I'll use it if I'm simply taking old fluid out and putting new fluid in. If it's a system with air in it whatsoever... it's worth the extra few $$ to go Mighty Vac. :dthumb:

askmrjesus 02-21-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 168979)
Mighty Vac and gravity works well together.

[geek mode]

Technically, a lack of gravity would be better, since bubbles rise because gravity exerts less force on gases than liquids. But you'd have to bleed your brakes in space, and that could get expensive, and probably really messy too.

[/geek mode]

JC

azoomm 02-21-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 168991)
[geek mode]

Technically, a lack of gravity would be better, since bubbles rise because gravity exerts less force on gases than liquids. But you'd have to bleed your brakes in space, and that could get expensive, and probably really messy too.

[/geek mode]

JC

Who said I wanted gravity to work on the bubbles?? If gravity works on the fluid - the bubbles will go somewhere you can let them out :wink:

askmrjesus 02-21-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 168993)
Who said I wanted gravity to work on the bubbles??

Nobody. I just felt like being a geek. :lol:

Don't worry, the feeling has passed now.

But, regardless of which way the fluid is going, bubbles will always want to go up, if left to their own devices.

JC