Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   MSF class, yay.. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=5313)

njchopper87 01-17-2009 06:26 PM

MSF class, yay..

So, riding a motorcycle is fun. Learning how to is kind of fun, but partially aggravating. I keep forgetting to let off the clutch easy when just starting to move forward in 1st and as a result stall the bike. I know what the problem is, however I can't break the habit..

Another thing I'm particularly bad at is sharp corner turns. I either go in too fast or slow down too much. Swerving without displacement or roomy displacement I can do decently, but with 8' displacement I usually miss a few cones.

I talked to the instructors and they're both very helpful, however, it would be nice to hear some other voices too. Not to mention with only one more day left in the class, time is running short. And although I'd say it wasn't a wasted $240 and hour long drives to get there if I don't pass, I'd really like to walk away saying I did it and not have to drop another $240. Any and all help is appreciated.

Cutty72 01-17-2009 06:28 PM

practice practice practice.

tached1000rr 01-17-2009 06:29 PM

goodluck.....

Mr Lefty 01-17-2009 06:38 PM

like cutty said... practice.

with the clutch try letting the clutch out FIRST before giving it gas... let the clutch out just enough till the bike starts to roll... then roll on the throttle. on my ZZR the throttle response was horrible under 20mph... so I'd use verry little to 0 throttle and just slip the clutch to stop the jerky rock'n that would happen if I just let the clutch out and controlled my speed with the throttle.

with the cones... try not to look at the cones... look UP... you look down you will either miss cones or put a foot down. run through it looking at an imaginary point straight ahead over each cone. you should have an idea if you missed them, but shouldn't know for sure until you stop and look back... if you do miss them... it's not the end of the world...

but don't get too worked up about it... even if you have to drop another $250... it's worth it.

and to be honest... in my class, there was only one girl who failed... and she couldn't do a single move with out putting her foot down or forgetting something.

I'm sure you'll be fine...

GOOD LUCK!!!

Ninjakel 01-17-2009 06:49 PM

lots of practice.

Cutty72 01-17-2009 07:26 PM

Just do circle wheelies around the cone, but don't get advise from ebbs on wheelies :lol:

Mr Lefty 01-17-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 147882)
Just do circle wheelies around the cone, but don't get advise from ebbs on wheelies :lol:

oh I can tell him how to wheelie... it's keeping the wheelie going I have trouble with... :lol:

marko138 01-18-2009 10:11 AM

THese guys are right. It takes practice. Not everyone can do it. Stick with it and be safe.

MikeSP1 01-18-2009 10:25 AM

Practice, practice, practice. Keep your head up while you're riding it.

Like Ebbs said, control the clutch until the bike starts to roll forward, then roll into the gas.

My RC is a lot like Ebbs bike, doesn't like going less than 20 without slipping the clutch. I had trouble when I was going through MSF to ride on base. My Shadow HATED the slalom, and then before the second day, the lights broke and I had to use a loaner bike for the practical test.

LittleTaz 01-18-2009 10:27 AM

I never did manage to weave through every single cone successfully in the class and still passed. Like they say when you do pass, Congratulations! You are now qualified to ride around at 35 mph in a parking lot. It's just about giving you the fundamental skills and knowledge that you'll need to work on and continue to practice to be a safe and skilled rider. Relax and realize that this weekend is the beginning, not the final destination.