Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   New to maintance (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1143)

comonboys 04-21-2008 09:55 PM

New to maintance

Well, as most of you prob have got to hear here. Cutty is gone for two weeks and i am learning to take care of my bike myself.
So I checked my oil tonight cause I had to add some before my ride saturday. Well, long story short, I didn't put enough in when I did the oil change. SO I added more tonight. The thing is. I accidently added to much. It's just slightly above the full line. Is this ok? Or do I need to reduce it somehow.. If I do need to reduce it how do I do this?

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 10:09 PM

how are you checking? the bike on side stand, rear stand... holding it vertical?

my bike reads over full when on the rear stand... when vertical it's perfect.

if it's over full crack the nut and drain some... it's messy but easy. espeically since yours is a naked bike...

not sure what damage could happen if you run it slightly over full :idk:

comonboys 04-21-2008 10:12 PM

I am checking by pulling it up. Cutty reversed the stands to fit his bike I guess.... I am a little scared to drop the nut though if I let some out....

6doublefive321 04-21-2008 10:12 PM

It depends on "a little". In my opinion, too much oil is more damaging than being a little low. Having too much oil can cause foaming, which in turn causes all the good things in the engine to be starved of oil, which leads to a scrap heap. I'm not familiar with the internals of an SV, so I don't know how much room for error there is. Unless someone can tell you with 100% certainty how much room for error there is in an SV, the wise move is to drain the oil out and top it back off. If the oil is fresh, you can drain it and put it right back in (using the correct amount, of course).

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 (Post 34796)
It depends on "a little". In my opinion, too much oil is more damaging than being a little low. Having too much oil can cause foaming, which in turn causes all the good things in the engine to be starved of oil, which leads to a scrap heap. I'm not familiar with the internals of an SV, so I don't know how much room for error there is. Unless someone can tell you with 100% certainty how much room for error there is in an SV, the wise move is to drain the oil out and top it back off. If the oil is fresh, you can drain it and put it right back in (using the correct amount, of course).

yup.... even better idea!

drain the oil into a clean container!!!... then pour the correct amount back in... use the rest to dump on those damn cats

comonboys 04-21-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 34801)
yup.... even better idea!

drain the oil into a clean container!!!... then pour the correct amount back in... use the rest to dump on those damn cats

note to ebbs: the cats will hurt you when you come out here.... They are enjoying greatly having ryan gone. There's no one to torment them.....

OK, so I can drain a little out with unscrewing the nut. Will that work or do I have to drain it all. Cause I don't have a clean tub to drain it into..
plus i have to ride that tomorrow since my cage brakes are going to shit.....
Damn men and not listening to the women when they say something is wrong with my car.....
So quick fix would be great since I don't have alot of knowledge.....
Thanks guys.. Greatly appreciated.

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 10:24 PM

well easiest way and cleanest way... would be to drain it all out... so I'd recomend either buying a new tub... OR... spraying the one you have out with a hose... or if your as anal as I am... thow it in the dishwasher. :2cents:

while you have the hose out.... spray the cats... they're evil

comonboys 04-21-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 34807)
well easiest way and cleanest way... would be to drain it all out... so I'd recomend either buying a new tub... OR... spraying the one you have out with a hose... or if your as anal as I am... thow it in the dishwasher. :2cents:

while you have the hose out.... spray the cats... they're evil

You are evil.....

But you didn't answer my question ass... I was just wondering if I can.... I need to have this done tonight cause I work at 8 by myself so I won't be able to get to the shop til after 5. Is it something that I can drop a little quick..... Plus I have NO idea where cutty put out drop pan.....

NONE_too_SOFT 04-21-2008 10:30 PM

get a straw and suck that shit outa there wif yo mouf...

Nah but for serious, just carefully unscrew the drain plug after you warm the bike up for a few mins.

if you're really worried about it, just forget about it until you can do it properly tomorrow night. dont risk not having a ride to work unless youre comfy w/ the job.

comonboys 04-21-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT (Post 34810)
get a straw and suck that shit outa there wif yo mouf...

Ummm, no thanks....

Nah but for serious, just carefully unscrew the drain plug after you warm the bike up for a few mins.

And thank you for that answer.... I will try my best. Last time I tried draining the oil the bolt dropped in the bucket right away....

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comonboys (Post 34809)
You are evil.....

But you didn't answer my question ass... I was just wondering if I can.... I need to have this done tonight cause I work at 8 by myself so I won't be able to get to the shop til after 5. Is it something that I can drop a little quick..... Plus I have NO idea where cutty put out drop pan.....

well actually I DID answer the question when I told you could do it back in my first post... :P

it'll take about 10 mins(if that)...Run the bike for about 5 mins to warm it up you'll need something to catch the extra oil in anyways... so you'll need to find something...

TIP:

When you loosen the drain plug loosen it to the last couple threads... put a ziplock bag over your hand... and unscrew it the rest of the way... count to one onethousand and reinsert the drain plug. tighten it finger tight and check the oil level. if still hight repeat... but I'm sure you'll be good after the first time... if your low... add a little...

NONE_too_SOFT 04-21-2008 10:38 PM

im guessing it'll just do it again if you're not VERY careful unscrwing it. its gonna get messy, so wear gloves or somethin if you got em.

neebelung 04-21-2008 10:38 PM

Also, before deciding for sure that there's too much in there, consult your owner's manual. Some bikes are INTENDED to be read while on the sidestand, while others are supposed to be upright (which means you'll need someone else there to stand the bike up while you look at the oil level window, unless you can muscle it up and hold it there from a crouched position).

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT (Post 34814)
im guessing it'll just do it again if you're not VERY careful unscrwing it. its gonna get messy, so wear gloves or somethin if you got em.

exactly...

and if you do drop the plug... it's gonna drain ALOT more oil then you meant... so like I said... easiest way... would be just get a clean bin and drain it all... then add what you need back in...

Quote:

Originally Posted by neebelung (Post 34815)
Also, before deciding for sure that there's too much in there, consult your owner's manual. Some bikes are INTENDED to be read while on the sidestand, while others are supposed to be upright (which means you'll need someone else there to stand the bike up while you look at the oil level window, unless you can muscle it up and hold it there from a crouched position).

huh... didn't know that. :dthumb:

neebelung 04-21-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 34816)
huh... didn't know that. :dthumb:

:dthumb:

comonboys 04-21-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neebelung (Post 34815)

when cutty helped me do the oil change he said that it must be tipped up. We don't have an owners manual that I know of. but we do have the haynes manual and that doesn't say much of anything. THanks for the info though neebs.

neebelung 04-21-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comonboys (Post 34838)
when cutty helped me do the oil change he said that it must be tipped up. We don't have an owners manual that I know of. but we do have the haynes manual and that doesn't say much of anything. THanks for the info though neebs.

Well since he's kept the bike road worthy this long, I'd go with what he says. :D

comonboys 04-21-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT (Post 34814)

I was VERY careful this time. I did get some on me but nothing soap and water couldn't wash off. It's all ok now I believe. When i was tipping it and looking it looked now between the full and empty. So I am going to double check tomorrow morning. However with the weather guy said it's 33 right now and it's going to get cold tonight. Thank god cutty got me those pants...

Thank you all for your help I really do appreciate it. I am used to having people take care of all my maintance for motor transportation so this is news to me. I will make sure and double check tomorrow morning...:dthumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by neebelung (Post 34841)
Well since he's kept the bike road worthy this long, I'd go with what he says. :D

Yeah, I on going to go with that too. Sheesh!!! I listened to him.... Write that one down in the books. :lol:

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 11:12 PM

it's nice when you can work on your shit your self huh... not have to worry about shops and paying them... and what not. I'm no mechanic... but I can do all the preventive maintenance to help make those times that I have to take it to the shop much more infrequent

comonboys 04-21-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 34845)
it's nice when you can work on your shit your self huh... not have to worry about shops and paying them... and what not. I'm no mechanic... but I can do all the preventive maintenance to help make those times that I have to take it to the shop much more infrequent

Yeah, it will be nice to not have to go to the shop everytime I don't know what's going on with my bike.... I asked Cutty to help me learn since he might have to go to kosovo, so I will be able to maintain my bike. It's good to know I have all you guys to count on tooo.....

LOL are you sure you want us to move with you. You'll become my bitch then ebbs.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA :zowned:

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 11:21 PM

please... I don't do maintenance for free... so you can figure out payment... :lol:

comonboys 04-21-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 34849)
please... I don't do maintenance for free... so you can figure out payment... :lol:

ooo, geez..... I think cutty will kick your ass...... Behave...

I don't like to share either. I am a spoil brat.... :lol:

Mr Lefty 04-21-2008 11:35 PM

exactly... so cutty will be doing your maintenance... so I'm fine with you guys moving on out! :lol:

No Worries 04-21-2008 11:37 PM

Most bikes are checked with the bike in an upright riding position. Just don't tip it over. Best to check with someone holding it. My Suzuki has a sight window. My Honda uses a dipstick, but the dipstick is not screwed in for a check. If there is too much, I would use my wife's turkey baster to suck it out. Then I would get her a new one. I wouldn't do the drain thing.

comonboys 04-21-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 34856)
Most bikes are checked with the bike in an upright riding position. Just don't tip it over. Best to check with someone holding it. My Suzuki has a sight window. My Honda uses a dipstick, but the dipstick is not screwed in for a check. If there is too much, I would use my wife's turkey baster to suck it out. Then I would get her a new one. I wouldn't do the drain thing.

good idea i dont have a turkey baster...........
note to cutty:by the "wifey" a baster

OneSickPsycho 04-22-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comonboys (Post 34857)
good idea i dont have a turkey baster...........
note to cutty:by the "wifey" a baster

Man, before I read NW's post that you quoted, this comment sure got my mind a racin'!

comonboys 04-22-2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 34883)
Man, before I read NW's post that you quoted, this comment sure got my mind a racin'!

interesting.....

here's the progress on my little issue. Checked the bike this morning and the oil was inbetween still. There was no oil on the ground from leakage. So I took that as a good sign!!! I DID IT....:rockwoot:
Rode that bitch to work this morning. It was 29* when I left and 31* when I got to work. Burrrrrr...... See my thread about my b-day gift for the rest of the story............

marko138 04-22-2008 09:37 AM

Did you run the bike and then let it sit for a few minutes before you checked the level?

comonboys 04-22-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 34927)
Did you run the bike and then let it sit for a few minutes before you checked the level?

Last night I did
This morning I checked before I started it up to warm it up.... I talked to Cutty and he said that should be OK.

Cutty72 04-22-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 34927)

SV is a cold check in the window.

1125 is a pain in the ass hot check.

she done did good.

comonboys 04-22-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 35208)

she done did good.

yay me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockwoot:

JoJoYZF 04-22-2008 10:45 PM

Congrats and welcome to the wrenching world

comonboys 04-22-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 35222)
Congrats and welcome to the wrenching world

i have always loved to wrench. Daddy wouldn't let me cause he didn't have the patience. MY x was a mechanic and just didn't care to have me learn. And cutty is slowly learning that he has to have patience with me.

I love being in the garage all dirty and oily.... i think i was more excited about getting an air compressor, compact tools. air guns... whoooo-hooooooo bring it on.

JoJoYZF 04-22-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comonboys (Post 35234)
i have always loved to wrench. Daddy wouldn't let me cause he didn't have the patience. MY x was a mechanic and just didn't care to have me learn. And cutty is slowly learning that he has to have patience with me.

I love being in the garage all dirty and oily
.... i think i was more excited about getting an air compressor, compact tools. air guns... whoooo-hooooooo bring it on.

May want to delete that part around this forum...but its good to hear youve found a chance to really start learning.

comonboys 04-22-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 35236)
May want to delete that part around this forum...but its good to hear youve found a chance to really start learning.

nah take it as you will. Just drool from afar... :lol:

JoJoYZF 04-22-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comonboys (Post 35237)
nah take it as you will. Just drool from afar... :lol:

Ohio far enough? If so... :drool:

comonboys 04-23-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 35241)
Ohio far enough? If so... :drool:

Well, put it this way. When Cutty gets home, he's taking me to the shooting range so I can learn to shoot a gun for defence. Also so I can eventually get my hunting license...... So however close you want to get.... :lol:

Yes, Ohio's far enough.....

JoJoYZF 04-23-2008 07:56 PM

Then Im good. Plus I wouldnt do it since hes a member here. If not itd be fair game. jk.

marko138 04-24-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 35208)

she done did good.

Whats the process on the Buell?

comonboys 04-24-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 35523)
Then Im good. Plus I wouldnt do it since hes a member here. If not itd be fair game. jk.

he's here it's cutty 72... Just on leave right now... He's out for his 2 week guard drill.....

JoJoYZF 04-24-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comonboys (Post 35670)
he's here it's cutty 72... Just on leave right now... He's out for his 2 week guard drill.....

I knew who it was, thats why I said I wouldnt do it.

ceo012384 04-24-2008 06:35 PM

Nothing hotter than a girl who likes using and knows how to use a wrench.

Cutty72 04-24-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 35613)
Whats the process on the Buell?

start, get to operating temp
ride for a min of 10 min and 5 miles
let idle for 3 min sitting verticle, NOT on the side stand
turn off, let sit for 2 min again verticle NOT on the side stand
pull dipstick, wipe clean
reinsert dipstick, threading all the way in
pull out and check, should be between min and max.

and yes, if you leave it on the side stand, or if you check it cold, it will not even show up on the dipstick.

there have been a LOT of overfilled 1125R's. :no:

Mr Lefty 04-24-2008 07:07 PM

FUCK! that's a pain in the ass! it'd suck on long trips by your self... checking the oil at a gas station...

Cutty72 04-26-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 35792)
FUCK! that's a pain in the ass! it'd suck on long trips by your self... checking the oil at a gas station...

yeah, it defiantly doesn't get checked (correctly) as often as it should.
I do pull it and just verify that there is some one the dipstick.

stupid thick 20-50 oil

marko138 04-26-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 35782)
start, get to operating temp
ride for a min of 10 min and 5 miles
let idle for 3 min sitting verticle, NOT on the side stand
turn off, let sit for 2 min again verticle NOT on the side stand
pull dipstick, wipe clean
reinsert dipstick, threading all the way in
pull out and check, should be between min and max.

and yes, if you leave it on the side stand, or if you check it cold, it will not even show up on the dipstick.

there have been a LOT of overfilled 1125R's. :no:

Fuck.

Cutty72 04-26-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 36384)
Fuck.

:iagree:

if the "good news" is an 1125R, be sure to check out www.badweatherbikers.com
I've been on there since about a month before i got mine, and there is a LOT of good info on that bike. I don't post much, but read a lot.

and also, check the oil yourself before you ride away from the dealership. it's been known that the techs don't even know the correct procedure, but that is getting better.

marko138 04-26-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 36421)

I've been on there since about a month before i got mine, and there is a LOT of good info on that bike. I don't post much, but read a lot.

and also, check the oil yourself before you ride away from the dealership. it's been known that the techs don't even know the correct procedure, but that is getting better.

I've been cruising bad web alot the last 2 days. :whistle:

Cutty72 04-26-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 36423)
I've been cruising bad web alot the last 2 days. :whistle:

you marko138 there too, or you just reading?

marko138 04-26-2008 04:51 PM

Same name there too.

comonboys 04-27-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 36421)

You just jacked my thread you ass..........................:rant::rant::rant:

Cutty72 05-01-2008 05:18 PM

so? :idk:

marko138 05-01-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comonboys (Post 36735)
You just jacked my thread you ass..........................:rant::rant::rant:

First time in internet history that has happened.

comonboys 05-01-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 38509)
First time in internet history that has happened.

sure.....:lol:

OneSickPsycho 05-04-2008 01:26 AM

It's good to change your oil in the nude and allow someone to take pictures... or so I've heard...

comonboys 05-04-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 39365)
It's good to change your oil in the nude and allow someone to take pictures... or so I've heard...

i'll remember that next time.......;)