Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Somebody link me knowledge... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1584)

DLIT 05-30-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy (Post 46761)
4 and 6? idk man I'd tack on at least 2K to the recommended break in numbers. i shifted at or before 6 for the first 500 miles then at or before 8 till 1000 miles.i know you want her to take it slow but the ninja 250 engine is meant to be revved hard. definitely the shifting will slow her down so that is important to work on first but....in 6th gear at 4K RPM that bike is only doing like 45 MPH. so the fact that she has to make 5 shifts whereas you only have to do one will definitely slow her down.

Bro, she's brand fucking new to riding. Even though it's a 250 the throttle response might freak her out.

Dnyce 05-30-2008 01:21 AM

what about taking her out on your bike, and tell her to pay attn where you are depending on where cars are around you? easier if shes on the back than having her try to ride and pay attn to you. also easier to communicate.

depends on how she learns easiest. some ppl see it and it clicks, other ppl have to read it, etc.

i learned to shift on a long vacant road. i could drive a stickshift already, so it was easier for me to transition the movements, but on that long street it was ez to concentrate on just shifting, no cars, no traffic, no turning.

i used to practice the motions with the bike off too. shifting is like a simultaneous motion using ur leg and both arms, not a 1-2-3 motion. that mite help her speed up the actual shifting process.

just throwing a few ideas your way, maybe some of em work 4ya.

PiZdETS 05-30-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 46703)
PizDets probably has a copy of all of the books mentioned in PDF format...

Seriously, I thought everyone knew who to call for this shit. I made a thread with twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and sport riding techniques for free.

Phenix_Rider 05-30-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiZdETS (Post 46793)
Seriously, I thought everyone knew who to call for this shit. I made a thread with twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and sport riding techniques for free.

password?:idk:

:edit: NVM. It's in dark alley. Thanks! dl'ing now. Damnit. Not at work...

Crazy 05-30-2008 08:21 PM

bro... i was brand fucking new to riding too, if you dont count the MSF course. just trying to help.

DLIT 05-31-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy (Post 47089)
bro... i was brand fucking new to riding too, if you dont count the MSF course. just trying to help.

I appreciate it. It's good to know that it can handle the higher revs and they'll come in handy once she learns the basics of how to shift faster. Does it vibrate like a SOB near redline? We're still breaking it in.

Cutty72 06-01-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 47197)
I appreciate it. It's good to know that it can handle the higher revs and they'll come in handy once she learns the basics of how to shift faster. Does it vibrate like a SOB near redline? We're still breaking it in.

The older ones weren't bad... not sure about the 08's.
IMO the 250 had far less vibes than my SV.

the chi 06-03-2008 09:46 AM

I just got back around here...dont complain when people are trying to help goober, no matter what they provide...

as for the MSF not helping on the defensive riding part, ya'll must have some cruddy instructors, cuz that was a major part of our MSF down here...and making sure we were highly visible at all times...

On a different note, Nick I.'s book is pretty awesome...its got lots of fact and information as well as being written in a very easy to read and personable manner...like the guy was actually talking to you. Good Luck, let us know how she's progressing!

anthonyk 11-08-2008 09:01 AM

Old thread, I know, but for anyone else looking for a good book with newbie rider tips, pick up one of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling books. Lots of great stuff in there about staying alive on the streets.

jeeps84 11-08-2008 01:58 PM

Books are cool but experience is what she needs. If she is just to frightened, Maybe she really doesnt want or even need to be on the street.