Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Awesoime!!! Engine isn't stuck (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20928)

pauldun170 02-14-2012 10:48 AM

Thanks again AMJ(and others who are piping in)

Where does everyone get their batteries from nowadays?
I used to get mine from a local shop but they closed up.

Papa_Complex 02-14-2012 10:57 AM

Been buying from Interstate Batteries a lot lately, for both security/backup batteries and bike batteries.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...r/Default.aspx

No Worries 02-14-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 505909)
Thanks again AMJ(and others who are piping in)

Where does everyone get their batteries from nowadays?
I used to get mine from a local shop but they closed up.

Auto Zone has a few common batteries. You have to add the acid and charge for 24 hours, but as long as you keep a trickle charger on, it seems to run for years.

askmrjesus 02-14-2012 03:45 PM

I buy local, but would try motorcycle-superstore.com for a Yuasa.

I've switched to Odyssey batteries, but they don't appear to make one for your bike.

JC

njchopper87 02-14-2012 06:53 PM

I just got one from Advanced Auto for $56 with tax. They took care of the acid and the charge. I didn't shop around much due to time constraints, but Auto Zone wanted twice as much and they would have had to get it shipped to them.

RedRider2k2 02-15-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 505944)
I buy local, but would try motorcycle-superstore.com for a Yuasa.

I've had strange experiences with them. I've had one in a Bandit and currently one in my ZX12. Both of them cant be charged. I try to put a 1 amp trickle charger or a low amp auto charger on them sometimes over the winter but the Voltage instantly spikes to 17+ volts. At first I thought it was the charger not regulating the voltage but I've tried more than one charger and they work fine on other batteries. When they're in the Bike though, they charge fine at ~14 volts and have never died/let me down. Weird.

askmrjesus 02-17-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 (Post 506048)
I've had strange experiences with them. I've had one in a Bandit and currently one in my ZX12. Both of them cant be charged. I try to put a 1 amp trickle charger or a low amp auto charger on them sometimes over the winter but the Voltage instantly spikes to 17+ volts. At first I thought it was the charger not regulating the voltage but I've tried more than one charger and they work fine on other batteries. When they're in the Bike though, they charge fine at ~14 volts and have never died/let me down. Weird.

My guess is you're running the YTX14-BS in the ZX, because it's a half a pound lighter than the YTX14H-BS. I would too.

The former, is a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery, commonly known as a Gel Cell. The short version is this: Unlike regular or AGM batteries, Gel Cells require special charging rates to keep them from freaking out, and it sounds to me like you are using the wrong type of charger.

JC

pauldun170 02-17-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 506234)
My guess is you're running the YTX14-BS in the ZX, because it's a half a pound lighter than the YTX14H-BS. I would too.

The former, is a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery, commonly known as a Gel Cell. The short version is this: Unlike regular or AGM batteries, Gel Cells require special charging rates to keep them from freaking out, and it sounds to me like you are using the wrong type of charger.

JC

(....takes down notes.)

RedRider2k2 02-17-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 506234)

JC

KMX14-BS.

Guessing this is the same as a YTX14-BS? Original Battery maybe?

Anyway, I had them on chargers that were good for AGM batteries (Roughly 14V Max) but I didnt realise Gel Batteries needed even lower Voltage than that. That could be the problem. If you watch it with a Multimeter, the Voltage shoots up to 17+ in a hurry. Luckily though they dont discharge much in the basement over the winter so they're ready to go in the Spring.

askmrjesus 02-17-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 (Post 506269)
KMX14-BS.

Guessing this is the same as a YTX14-BS? Original Battery maybe?

Anyway, I had them on chargers that were good for AGM batteries (Roughly 14V Max) but I didnt realise Gel Batteries needed even lower Voltage than that. That could be the problem. If you watch it with a Multimeter, the Voltage shoots up to 17+ in a hurry. Luckily though they dont discharge much in the basement over the winter so they're ready to go in the Spring.

KMX14-BS is actually listed as an ATV battery, available only at Kawi dealers but shares the same specs as the YTX14-BS. Why, I don't know, but it is a VRLA type.

14 volt max should be fine for a Gel type. They usually want 13.8-14.1 for float charging.

The service life of the Gel batteries, is generally 2-5 years. They can develop bubbles or voids in the silica that suspends the acid. That may explain your 17v spikes, but that's just a theory.

The newer AGM batteries have all the positive features of the Gel's, but none of the drawbacks, except for added weight.

JC