Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Getting over a crash (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21374)

Sean 05-21-2012 06:13 PM

Getting over a crash

What's the best way to get past the mental issues that come with a crash?

First time the girl rode, she crashed pretty good. Hand slipped off the clutch and goosed the throttle when she rotated her hand to grab the brake. Bad news all around.

Now, every time she gets on the bike she's petrified. Literally shaking.

Tips?

(yes it's about a dirt bike but I figure this is more fitting in the street section)

Trip 05-21-2012 06:24 PM

More riding...

If she doesn't want to ride, sometimes its best just to give it up. I know that is a hard concept for us dedicated riders to grasp, but some people shouldn't be on bikes.

RedRider2k2 05-21-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 512805)
More riding...

If she doesn't want to ride, sometimes its best just to give it up. I know that is a hard concept for us dedicated riders to grasp, but some people shouldn't be on bikes.

Sad but true. If she cant calm herself down and focus then she can be an even bigger danger to herself and people around her.

Tmall 05-21-2012 07:53 PM

Exactly. More seat time. I ride dirt exclusively now. And I wipe out hard, often. I always find myself apprehensive for the first of every ride. Then I realize how much fun twisting the throttle is and get over it.

The best analogy I can give, When you start riding any incident with a cage is scary. After years of riding you can almost be killed in traffic, shake your head and ride on.

OneSickPsycho 05-21-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 512805)
More riding...

Absolutely. Ride more, go ridiculously slow... love it or don't.

Rangerscott 05-21-2012 09:45 PM

Bicycle?

Get one of those 100cc chinese bikes off of craigslist and let her screw around on it.

Homeslice 05-21-2012 10:52 PM

If she had been riding a few times before the crash, she could get over it. But the crash happened on her first ride? That's gonna be way harder.

Did this happen during an MSF class, or just with some friend teaching her (which could make lots of people nervous).

Sean 05-23-2012 11:31 AM

Her first ride. In the dirt, so no MSF.

I took her out once previous and she fell 50x and bounced back every time, but my KTM was just too damn big so she didn't get anywhere. First time on her 125 and boom.

Really I just want to get to a point where I can go to an MX park and say "Have fun!!" and go ride the vet track without babysitting.

Dave 05-23-2012 11:52 AM

Gotta get back on immediately

Homeslice 05-23-2012 12:03 PM

Wait, she fell before?