Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Advice for beginners (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=52)

neebelung 02-25-2008 03:32 PM

Advice for beginners

When you first started out (or set out to learn how to ride), what is the best piece of advice someone gave you? And what did you learn along the way that you WISH someone had told you (that might have helped you or saved you some frustration?)

dReWpY 02-25-2008 03:36 PM

best advice i got- "dont die, i will kill you if you do!"

i love you pc :hug:

Rider 02-25-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neebelung (Post 530)
When you first started out (or set out to learn how to ride), what is the best piece of advice someone gave you? And what did you learn along the way that you WISH someone had told you (that might have helped you or saved you some frustration?)

Just about everything they taught in the MSF class was good advice. I still apply those riding techniques and principals today. Keeping a clear mind while riding can also save your ass. If your head is not in the game when you first sit on the bike, you're going to be in a world of hurt in a very short time.

neebelung 02-25-2008 03:38 PM

I was given the "mantras" of riding: Take your MSF class, wear your gear, and ride your own ride (all great pieces of advice everyone should be told).

But I was also (thankfully) warned that a 600 is not a "little" bike (when I first decided I wanted to get a bike, I wanted a then-new ZX6R 636, and was operating under the mistaken impression that it's "only" a 600 :lol: ).

As for what I WISH I'd been told? Hah, how friggin addictive riding is!!!!

neebelung 02-25-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 532)
If your head is not in the game when you first sit on the bike, you're going to be in a world of hurt in a very short time.

ABSOLUTLEY.

dReWpY 02-25-2008 03:43 PM

i was never really offered any advice when it came to starting to ride on the street. i started racing offroad, got a job at a mc shop for the discount and learned to ride streetbikes on old used bikes from the barn :lol:

Beefcake Morris 02-25-2008 04:03 PM

I wish somebody would have help me buy gear and how it should fit.

I can always say take the BRC MSF course. Did I "no" did the DMV thing. Then I got talked into taking the BRC MSF ridercourse, but I learn a lot at the BRC. Then later I took the ERC MSF course.

Now I work with a MSF RiderCoach school.

It does not take too much skill to actually get the motorcycle rolling and going down the rode. Being a safe, efficient and effective rider is an ongoing experience and anything that might improve my skills is worth taking.

NeonspeedRT 02-26-2008 09:33 AM

Best advice I could give a beginner...

1) Take the MSF class
2) Make sure to set aside money for riding gear
3) Check your ego at the door. Don't go out and try and buy the latest and most powerfull GSXRZX1000RR as your first bike.
4) Never buy a new bike for your first bike. You will drop it. Things happen.
5) Take the MSF class
6) Practice, practice, and practice everything you learned in the MSF class
7) Find some good riders to surround yourself with and support you. The key word being good riders.
8) Always ride your own ride. Don't try and keep up with anyone, don't try and show off to anyone, Don't try and break any land speed records. Any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast in a straight line.
9) Respect the bike always.
10) When you think you are ready for that GSXRZX1000RR and have outgrown your starter bike. Think again. Go take an ERC MSF class. Go do a track day. You will learn more about your bike then you ever thought you could.

marko138 02-26-2008 10:12 AM

I think the two most important things a beginner can be told is:

1. ALWAYS WEAR GEAR
2. Ride your own pace.

When you try to keep up with faster riders bad bad bad things happen.

fpzx10 02-26-2008 10:15 AM

This is one I wish I would have gotten but learned the hard way

No front brake on gravel :wtfru: