Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Touring (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   dave's sport tourer musing thread (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=2793)

Dave 10-08-2008 12:14 AM

dave's sport tourer musing thread

so since ive been riding the cm much more its becoming increasingly apparent that its rather unsuited for long range cruising which was one of the many roles i had originally hoped it could assume. with that in mind im kinda compiling a list of bikes for myself that ought to fill my needs. this is really more for me than you guys but hell if you have suggestions im open to em.

yzf1000
rf 900
zx11D
zx9
cbr1100
umm

Mr Lefty 10-08-2008 12:18 AM

I will say the ZX9 would be awesome... I thought my 6 was fine for my trip... I was geared down so it didn't get the greatest gas milage... but it wasn't bad.... 150-170 per tank (37-42mpg)

and the headlights are FUCKING AWESOME... especially if you go with a dual hi/lo HID kit... as anyone who rode infront of me to indy :lol:

JoJoYZF 10-08-2008 12:21 AM

The yzf1000 would be sweet for that. Its set up a lot like my yzf600 which is really comfortable but has a lot more power to it.

t-homo 10-08-2008 01:34 AM

My 2000 R1 got 50mpg on most of my fill ups on the way to indy. I think its running a little rich even.

Mr Lefty 10-08-2008 02:20 AM

damn that's really good... but weren't you telling me that the bike was geared up? (cause the previous owner was scared of the power?) if that's the case then yes... you'd get better gas mileage as the motors running at a lower pace at freeway speeds.

Dave 10-08-2008 09:18 AM

hopefully tonight after work i can expand upon my list with specific details for each bike (hp/tq, wet weight, fuel cap, fuel delivery system, etc) along with my percieved pros and cons for each one. :thumbs:

Rider 10-08-2008 09:25 AM

Dude, I think you have big fucking rats in your house. In your sig I see something scurry across the floor. :panic:

nhgunnut 10-08-2008 09:44 AM

Pardon me for pointing out the obvious! But a Busa or ZX14 the Connie14 are all going to be superior sport touring machines with the ZX14 and Busa being the stronger on the sport side. The only one on your list I have saddle time on is the CBR1100 and I can say without any question in my mind that a Gen 1 busa handles better and rides smoother with better braking. Mileage is at your wrist and with it range The new Gen2 are reported to be a better bike still for touring (no saddle time here) I notice you didn’t mention anything accept jap bikes leaving out the Duc Touring Machines the BMWs the Sprints .
If budget is your thing take a long look at a 04 – 07 up Hard core Busa owners are jumping up to the Gen 2s and any number of wannabes who bought then and left them sitting and are now trying to escape the payment

the chi 10-08-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 77401)
I will say the ZX9 would be awesome... I thought my 6 was fine for my trip... I was geared down so it didn't get the greatest gas milage... but it wasn't bad.... 150-170 per tank (37-42mpg)

and the headlights are FUCKING AWESOME... especially if you go with a dual hi/lo HID kit... as anyone who rode infront of me to indy :lol:

thats no shit, it was like riding with a friggin CAR! I kept having to check as I thought a car was right up my exhaust, but noooooo, just Ebbs and those HIDs...

I kinda agree with Nh on this one, as long as you arent stupid with the power, the busa does make for a great touring bike...

On the other choices..hmm, i know the yzf's are a good ride, but not too much input on the others...:idk:

No Worries 10-08-2008 01:52 PM

For sport/touring, no one ever mentions the most important (to me anyway) thing that can't be fixed by a higher windscreen, higher bars, better seat, etc. And that is vibration. The Busa has a mean vibration around 4,500. I would get the Blackbird. It's smooth as silk, quick, and comfortable. And for only $4K: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/839913256.html. What a steal.