Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Florida Riders (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Proposal - Going too slow = ticket (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18204)

L8 Braker 02-08-2011 07:51 PM

Proposal - Going too slow = ticket

Full story in link below...

CLICK HERE FOR STORY

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1127/10174404.jpg

L8 Braker 02-08-2011 07:54 PM

There is something that's confusing...

If you read the article, it says this...

Currently, it's illegal to drive in the left lane unless passing. However, it's rarely enforced...

So, if it's already a law, how come they have to make another one?

The only thing I can think of is that it is easier to get a guilty verdict (if someone were to challenge the ticket) on a set speed violation vs someone that "might" have been in the left hand lane too long...

Maybe it's much easier to say to a judge, "I clocked them at 45 in a 70", rather than say "I tailed them for 5 miles and they didn't pass anyone" and then have the defendant go into a 30 minute dissertation of why they stayed in that lane...

Particle Man 02-08-2011 08:02 PM

Pfft, it won't do shit. Just like the keep right except to pass rule here in NY that has been on the books for years that doesn't do anything.

derf 02-08-2011 08:05 PM

Yep but it doesn't say what too slow is. Is doing the speed limit in the left lane, while impeding the people that want to go 10+, while I'm passing someone who is doing 60 count as a violation? Seems like a good idea turned into a crappy law that wasn't thought through fully.

I wish I knew where the video of 3 cars doing the same speed next to eachother on the highway around atlanta. They were doing the speed limit (perfectly legal) but people behind them were flipping out, passing on the shoulders and acting like fools. So who is wrong? the assholes who were doing the speed limit and didnt let anyone pass them at a higher than legal speed, or the people who did illegal stuff to get around them.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU

Found it, skip to 3:20

fasternyou929 02-08-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

"Statistics show when they do impede flow of traffic all the sudden you have an increase in incidents of road rage," said Bennett. "People start weaving in and out of traffic and when you start weaving in and out of traffic, and have accidents at 75 to 80 miles-per-hour, bad things seriously happen."
Some fantastic leadership down there. :lol:

Mikey 02-08-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 448638)
So who is wrong? the assholes who were doing the speed limit and didnt let anyone pass them at a higher than legal speed, or the people who did illegal stuff to get around them.

The assholes impeding traffic are wrong. You'd get shot for that shit around here.

Lane discipline, people.

OneSickPsycho 02-08-2011 08:16 PM

Start of a good trend in lawmaking - laws that actually make the roads safer. Add passing on the right and tailgating enforcement and we'd be on to something.

Particle Man 02-09-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 448640)
The assholes impeding traffic are wrong. You'd get shot for that shit around here.

Lane discipline, people.

The Germans got it right on that count.

derf 02-09-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 448640)

Lane discipline, people.

I think I'm in the minority on this one, I'm against it the way the article says its written. It needs to not be subjective, maybe state that impeding traffic while in the left lane by doing more than 5mph less than the speed limit, law doesn't count while sitting in traffic.

The way its written now sounds liek its one of those fines that gets tacked on to other fines. "Guy was speeding, failure to maintain lane, failure to signal camping in left lane, littering, failure to wear seatbelt So I pulled him over and beat him". Yeh I hate when I want to go and people want to stop, but this just seems like a dumb idea that is only going to ever be used as a tack on fine to get more money out of you

CasterTroy 02-09-2011 08:04 AM

Doesn't Ga. allready have this? I thought I remembered seeing signs to the tune of "Speed limit 75 speed minimum 45" and then signs reading you WILL be ticketed for going slow in the fast lane :idk:

OneSickPsycho 02-09-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 448700)
Doesn't Ga. allready have this? I thought I remembered seeing signs to the tune of "Speed limit 75 speed minimum 45" and then signs reading you WILL be ticketed for going slow in the fast lane :idk:

There are various places in most states that have set minimums...

Mr Lefty 02-09-2011 08:51 AM

I always thought you could get a ticket for going too slow... at least in Oregon... it was called Impeding Traffic... :idk: never seen it actually happen.

most of the "slow drivers" I've seen are actually just driving the limit... not 10-15mph over like everyone else

tommymac 02-09-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 448636)
Pfft, it won't do shit. Just like the keep right except to pass rule here in NY that has been on the books for years that doesn't do anything.

you need to drive around NYC and the surrounding area more, nobody moves over, its nice when we go upstate or out of state and people actualy do the right thing. Guess its all perspective.

Plus most of fla is all transplanted new yorkers anyway :lol:

derf 02-09-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Lefty (Post 448711)
I always thought you could get a ticket for going too slow... at least in Oregon... it was called Impeding Traffic... :idk: never seen it actually happen.

most of the "slow drivers" I've seen are actually just driving the limit... not 10-15mph over like everyone else

Exactly so they created a problem that everyone was doing that was already illegal, and created a solution for the previously not enforced solution

pauldun170 02-09-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 448714)
you need to drive around NYC and the surrounding area more, nobody moves over, its nice when we go upstate or out of state and people actualy do the right thing. Guess its all perspective.

Plus most of fla is all transplanted new yorkers anyway :lol:

Drives me crazy...

1. Nobody really changes lanes...they just kind of drift all over the place.

2. Left lane is for "well we are going to be on the expressway\parkway\highway for more than 2 miles so we''ll just stay here in the left lane.

3. Gotta tailgate or else someone is going to squeeze in and make matter worse

4. Solid white line? Aint that no different than a any other line. Just means you can use HOV lane as a passing lane.

5. Right of way means whoever leans in closest to steering wheel gets to go first.

6. It is mandatory that all cab\livery drivers ride the brake on the highway. rules state that brake light must flash at least once every 15 seconds.

7. Cell phone law really means "Use right ear...not left ear".

tommymac 02-09-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 448744)
Drives me crazy...

2. Left lane is for "well we are going to be on the expressway\parkway\highway for more than 2 miles so we''ll just stay here in the left lane.

3. Gotta tailgate or else someone is going to squeeze in and make matter worse

4. Solid white line? Aint that no different than a any other line. Just means you can use HOV lane as a passing lane.

5. Right of way means whoever leans in closest to steering wheel gets to go first.

6. It is mandatory that all cab\livery drivers ride the brake on the highway. rules state that brake light must flash at least once every 15 seconds.

7. Cell phone law really means "Use right ear...not left ear".

That prety much summs up driving on this big sandbar.

I think I have messed up more people by moving over to allow them to pass, they were like WTF is he doing LOL

z06boy 02-09-2011 11:57 AM

http://blog.nj.com/njv_guest_blog/20...e_moveover.jpg

pauldun170 02-09-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 448746)
That prety much summs up driving on this big sandbar.

I think I have messed up more people by moving over to allow them to pass, they were like WTF is he doing LOL

A little while back out on Sunrise highway around Exit 54, I'm doing a little under 60mph in the right lane. Guy in the left lane is doing bout the same and is sloooooooowly passing me. Hes about 2 car lengths back and closing

Some asshole in a Trailblazer pulls up behind me and starts flashing to pass.
In the right fucking lane.
I can see in the rear view that he mouthing "Come on!!" and motioning with his hand for me to move up.

In the right lane on a 4 lane highway with me travelling 3-5 mph over the speed limit.

I immediately set my cruise control.

Once it turned to a 6 lane he flies across to the far left lane to pass the guy in the now middle lane and then proceeds to cut back in...all pissy like.

Homeslice 02-09-2011 12:54 PM

People who don't move over are on an ego trip.

"I'm not letting anyone tell me what to do!!!1"

Like a 6-inch movement of the wrist is a lot of work.

It's kind of like getting mad at someone just because they happened to be walking behind you, thus requiring you to hold the door for them.

pauldun170 02-09-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 448761)
People who don't move over are on an ego trip.

"I'm not letting anyone tell me what to do!!!1"

Like a 6-inch movement of the wrist is a lot of work. Wow, you really bowed down to that person.

It's kind of like getting mad at someone just because they happened to be walking behind you, thus requiring you to hold the door for them.

My question for Trailblazer asshole is "Where the fuck do you expect me to go if I'm already in the right lane?"

Homeslice 02-09-2011 01:00 PM

In that case he was in the wrong, and is a tool.

tommymac 02-09-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 448758)
A little while back out on Sunrise highway around Exit 54, I'm doing a little under 60mph in the right lane. Guy in the left lane is doing bout the same and is sloooooooowly passing me. Hes about 2 car lengths back and closing

Some asshole in a Trailblazer pulls up behind me and starts flashing to pass.
In the right fucking lane.
I can see in the rear view that he mouthing "Come on!!" and motioning with his hand for me to move up.

In the right lane on a 4 lane highway with me travelling 3-5 mph over the speed limit.

I immediately set my cruise control.

Once it turned to a 6 lane he flies across to the far left lane to pass the guy in the now middle lane and then proceeds to cut back in...all pissy like.

What a tool, yesterday I was on the southern state in nassau and am in the middle lane, not much traffic and a guy buzzes me on the right side, I look back in my rearview and see nothing in the left lane and am thinking why pass me on the right:?:

Homeslice 02-09-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 448744)

Yep............To change lanes with authority is too much work for some people. Instead, they'd rather take 30 seconds to complete the lane change.

I call it the "molasses draft"

Black men do it a lot, I've noticed.

They're coming up behind you, and from 10 car lengths back they start drifting to the other lane. Several seconds later, their front bumper almost makes contact with your rear bumper.

Perhaps it's because they're sitting so low, "wit a gansta lean", that they can't see the corners of their car?

Or maybe it's their way of expressing "dominance" over you.

"Ha ha, I just 'drafted' you with inches to spare, therefore I owned you."

Dunno. :shrug:

tommymac 02-09-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 448766)
Yep............To change lanes with authority is too much work for some people. Instead, they'd rather take 30 seconds to complete the lane change.

I call it the "molasses draft"

Black men do it a lot, I've noticed.

They're coming up behind you, and from 10 car lengths back they start drifting to the other lane. Several seconds later, their front bumper almost makes contact with your rear bumper.

Perhaps it's because they're sitting so low, "wit a gansta lean", that they can't see the corners of their car?

Or maybe it's their way of expressing "dominance" over you.

"Ha ha, I just 'drafted' you with inches to spare, therefore I owned you."

Dunno. :shrug:

its the opposite around here, stay in th eleft lane untill the last second, then shoot over 2, 3, or 4 lanes of traffic to get off the hwy :td:

Amber Lamps 02-09-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 448721)
Exactly so they created a problem that everyone was doing that was already illegal, and created a solution for the previously not enforced solution

That's my thought as well, why not just enforce the current law? If people only get into the left lane to pass then...problem solved.:rockwoot:

LeeNetworX 02-09-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 448700)

If they do, I've never seen it enforced. Plenty of dumbshits driving under or at the limit in the left lane at all times, even when there's no vehicles anywhere near them in the right lane that they could possibly be passing.

tommymac 02-09-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 448775)
That's my thought as well, why not just enforce the current law? If people only get into the left lane to pass then...problem solved.:rockwoot:

Seems like it works well on 2 lane highways but on 3 or 4 lanes its a free for all

derf 02-09-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 448776)
If they do, I've never seen it enforced. Plenty of dumbshits driving under or at the limit in the left lane at all times, even when there's no vehicles anywhere near them in the right lane that they could possibly be passing.

The reason its not enforced is that its a lesser violation than speeding, and very easy to argue out of in court.

tallywacker 02-09-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 448682)
The Germans got it right on that count.

True that. Driving over there was much less infuriating. STAY RIGHT PASS LEFT FUCKERS