Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   So I've been riding for a week now (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=10987)

i2iSTUDIOS 10-12-2009 09:34 AM

So I've been riding for a week now

Things are going well, I think i've gone around 75 miles remembering all of the things from the MSF class. I want to practice that slow stupid box u turns maneuver so i'll try and find time this week to do that.

I picked up a few things and shoved them in the underseat storage area, a can of fix-a-flat inflation can, some FI concentrate additive, a couple bungee cords, and a towel.

NeonspeedRT 10-12-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS (Post 277159)
Things are going well, I think i've gone around 75 miles remembering all of the things from the MSF class. I want to practice that slow stupid box u turns maneuver so i'll try and find time this week to do that.

I picked up a few things and shoved them in the underseat storage area, a can of fix-a-flat inflation can, some FI concentrate additive, a couple bungee cords, and a towel.

Don't worry about the slow stupid u turn. That is nothing but parking lot cool skills. It won't help you avoid an accident or save your life in an emergency situation.

The three things we teach in class that are usefull street survival skills are correct braking, correct cornering, and swerving. If you want to practice anything, I strongly encourage you to work on those three things.

If you want to practice the u turn, that's fine. But it's nothing more then "cool parking lot skills". Practice the things you will use often and that can save your life.

Good luck and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Chris

i2iSTUDIOS 10-12-2009 10:41 AM

Thx.

I haven't done any swerving yet, maybe I should do that. On corning, how do I know how leaned over I can be, getting on the highway onramp I tuck into the bike and lean with the bike, but I know that I can only do that so far until knee dragging in going to be required so the bike isn't leaned over too far. For normal riding will I ever be leaned over that far?

tached1000rr 10-12-2009 11:17 AM

congrats, just continue to ease into things, it would be great if you had a mature riding partner to join you for some miles.

marko138 10-12-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 277210)
congrats, just continue to ease into things, it would be great if you had a mature riding partner to join you for some miles.

Yep, just put the miles in. Go easy. Don't force things. Concentrate on being smooth with your inputs and controls. And the leaning and speed will follow.

the chi 10-12-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS (Post 277189)
Thx.

I haven't done any swerving yet, maybe I should do that. On corning, how do I know how leaned over I can be, getting on the highway onramp I tuck into the bike and lean with the bike, but I know that I can only do that so far until knee dragging in going to be required so the bike isn't leaned over too far. For normal riding will I ever be leaned over that far?

Swerving can be fun, even after years of riding I still like to do a little bit when Im out. Practice doing it not so much with your handlebars but with your weight shifting or lower body. Hard to describe, but when you do it, you know it. Its effortless whereas moving the wheels manually with your arms can lead to loss of control and jerkiness.

As for getting that knee down:

1) You're never as close to the ground as you think you are.
2) In typical street commuting and riding you should never be aggressive enough to really consider street riding. Its dangerous, regardless of what all the "street racers" will tell you.

After you've been riding for awhile and have all your basics mastered, then worry about it. I think most of us are guilty of having a lil fun on the streets, but until you are further along in your riding, play it safe so you make it that long.

U turns are always good practice too for turning.

HokieDNA01 10-12-2009 05:04 PM

I would work on swerving as well, and emergency braking. Try to keep from locking up your rear wheel (most breaking with the front). Also be very contious when swerving of "counter steering". I'm sure they went over that in the class. Make a contious progressive push on the bar that you want to turn towards. I consider counter steering and braking the two most important skills to keep you on the road....rubber side down. Good luck and yes I would also keep fresh on your tight u-turns. I didn't practice those and now 40,000 miles later I am horrible and insecure about them. Wish I had practiced.

azoomm 10-12-2009 05:14 PM

:lol:

Y'all are funny. "I'd practice this, or practice that... "

:lol:

My first thought - Congratulations on riding for a week... now go ride some more and forget about SPECIFICALLY practicing anything. Meaning, the movements will only get instilled into your brain by actually doing them rather than trolling around parking lots. Get out there and actually ride. :dthumb:

HokieDNA01 10-12-2009 05:30 PM

Azoomm I agree however I dont advise emergency stopping or swerving while out on the roads and both those skills do come in handy when you need them.

I rode all the time on my 250 but had a "swerve and stop incident" at an intersection and wish I had worked on not slamming the rear brake. I slid through the intersection and could have stopped the bike MUCH faster had I worked on braking technique. Packing on the miles will definitely make you a much safer better rider, but so will deticated practice on emergency maneuvers.

the chi 10-12-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 277366)
Azoomm I agree however I dont advise emergency stopping or swerving while out on the roads and both those skills do come in handy when you need them.

I rode all the time on my 250 but had a "swerve and stop incident" at an intersection and wish I had worked on not slamming the rear brake. I slid through the intersection and could have stopped the bike MUCH faster had I worked on braking technique. Packing on the miles will definitely make you a much safer better rider, but so will deticated practice on emergency maneuvers.

What she said. :dthumb: There is no better practice than to just do it, however some skills, as Neon stated, are much more practical for actual riding and come in handy so a lil extra practice can never hurt!

azoomm 10-12-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 277366)

"emergency" is extremely difficult to create when you are the one knowing and choosing where to create the incident to practice.

I put it equal to learning how to ride a bicycle with clips...

racedoll 10-12-2009 07:19 PM

Congrats on riding. Just continue on, getting more miles under your belt. The other stuff will come, no need to force it.

Hydrant 10-12-2009 07:48 PM

In the Cincy area, if you are out cruising back roads watch out for leaves, moss, and the areas where walnuts have been falling in the road and cars running over them. With all the rain we've had here lately there has been a lot of crap falling/being washed onto the road, just keep an eye ahead of you and watch out for objects in the road.

Congrats on the week of riding.

Kerry_129 10-12-2009 09:19 PM

Congrats on passing the MSF & putting the first week under your belt! :rockwoot: :dthumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 277374)
"emergency" is extremely difficult to create when you are the one knowing and choosing where to create the incident to practice.

I agree it's impossible to recreate the element of surprise/panic in an actual emergency situation. But I think that's a bit like saying "There's no point in firing rounds at a range, since that will never be like an actual gunfight." Sure it's not the same, but when shit hits the fan you'll want to know how to release the safety pretty quick. :lol:

Practicing specific skills/maneuvers and training yourself to be able to control the bike quickly and precisely can make a HUGE difference in your reactions when those inevitable situations occur. There's no 'practice' substitute for lots of saddle time, of course, but working on maneuvers you wouldn't ordinarily make in 'normal' street riding also has it's place and can be the difference between panicking/hesitating & reacting confidently.

Reading is another great way to pick up valuable information - stuff that you might otherwise pick up at the school of hard knocks! Street Strategies and Sport Riding Techniques are two really good examples of the many books out there that can help grow your skill-set & awareness.

Oh - and a big ditto on the value of learning to counter-steer consciously and precisely. Steering-input at the bars is a byproduct of leaning/shifting your body, not the other way around, and crucial to being able to move the bike exactly where & when you want it to go.

i2iSTUDIOS 10-12-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrant (Post 277398)
In the Cincy area, if you are out cruising back roads watch out for leaves, moss, and the areas where walnuts have been falling in the road and cars running over them. With all the rain we've had here lately there has been a lot of crap falling/being washed onto the road, just keep an eye ahead of you and watch out for objects in the road.

Congrats on the week of riding.

cool didn't see that you were local too.

Are there local guys that get together and do group rides? I'd like to take the suggestion that some folks said so people can give me tips and talk bikes with folks. I don't know much about bikes so the more knowledge the better.

I rode with a passenger tonight for the first time down Eastern Ave. Nice smooth roads, up to Ault Park and back. It was just fine, my passenger stayed put and didn't fall off :tremble:. All was good though, another riding day tomorrow before the rain comes. :)

Hydrant 10-13-2009 09:50 PM

There is a lot of Ohio / Northern Kentucky people that hang out at www.localriders.com . They have rides here and there, but I think the one constant ride they always have is on Sunday, they go down to some nice roads near Hebron ( Search for KY 10/22). The pace is pretty much whatever your after, spirited or just cruising. I've met a few at bike nights in the past, but my schedule hasn't been the greatest for longer weekend rides. If your looking to cruise head out towards Indiana, there is some nice roads just to cruise around on.

PS - didn't see if you had your license or not, but if you have your temps, your not supposed to ride with a passenger IIRC. I've never had a problem with cops, but you never know.

i2iSTUDIOS 10-14-2009 07:18 AM

Thanks, i'll check it out.

I have my license got it when I did the MSF clss.

goof2 10-14-2009 11:42 AM

It is your own decision, but I didn't ride with a passenger for the first year or so. I still only do it rarely. Some people on here refuse to take one. Beyond the additional responsibility, it messes with the dynamics of the bike a lot. Even Kate Moss will increase your gross vehicle weight by about 15%. If you still aren't comfortable with getting on the brakes hard or slower speed leaning you might want to hold off on carrying passengers for a while.

Trip 10-14-2009 11:54 AM

My advice is just ride with (knowledgable) people and talk to them. Try to convince them to let you be leader so they can see where you need help and you can ride at your pace.

Gas Man 10-14-2009 12:20 PM

Want to learn something good?

Throw far as far as you can that can of fix a flat! NEVER use that shit on your bike!!! or even anything that goes faster than 8mph. I've used the greeen slime stuff on a mower and its good! A MOWER!

Put the FI concentrate in your car gas tank. Never buy again. You especially dont need that shit under the bike seat! BAD BAD IDEA

When you want to buy a good FI cleaner... buy Seafoam (search it here).

i2iSTUDIOS 10-14-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 278268)
It is your own decision, but I didn't ride with a passenger for the first year or so. I still only do it rarely. Some people on here refuse to take one. Beyond the additional responsibility, it messes with the dynamics of the bike a lot. Even Kate Moss will increase your gross vehicle weight by about 15%. If you still aren't comfortable with getting on the brakes hard or slower speed leaning you might want to hold off on carrying passengers for a while.

It certainly was different. I don't know how much we'll be doing it but practice makes perfect. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 278273)
My advice is just ride with (knowledgable) people and talk to them. Try to convince them to let you be leader so they can see where you need help and you can ride at your pace.

My friend has a Yahmaha Sport Tourer said he'd like to go for a ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 278297)
Want to learn something good?

Throw far as far as you can that can of fix a flat! NEVER use that shit on your bike!!! or even anything that goes faster than 8mph. I've used the greeen slime stuff on a mower and its good! A MOWER!

Put the FI concentrate in your car gas tank. Never buy again. You especially dont need that shit under the bike seat! BAD BAD IDEA

When you want to buy a good FI cleaner... buy Seafoam (search it here).

Here are my thoughts. The fix-a-flat is there if I am stranded and want to get home. It's better than getting stranded.

The FI concentrate is Cheveron Techron, the same stuff that comes from the cheveron fuel pumps. I've had great luck with cleaning the injectors when using that in previous vehicles. This bike has 11,900 miles on it, I'll be doing plugs, oil, brakes, as soon as she get's put up for the winter. I'll be using seafoam in my direct injection car later.

I rode the bike just now at 46 degrees, I took it easy on the turns and let the tires warm up. It'll be just a bit cooler in the morning so that will be interesting.

Gas Man 10-14-2009 10:56 PM

Dont get stranded. Call AAA. Don't have that. Join AMA and get their towing services. DO NOT USE THAT STUFF!

NeonspeedRT 10-15-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 278644)
Dont get stranded. Call AAA. Don't have that. Join AMA and get their towing services. DO NOT USE THAT STUFF!

I agree. That stuff causes more problems then it's worth. In case of a flat, have a cell phone and a friend with a truck or trailer. AAA, AMA, HRCA (Honda Riders club) and many other groups also offer free towing and roadside assistance for bikers. Stay away from the green stuff.

Also listen to Gas man. He knows his shit about building, maintaining, and working on bikes. The same stuff that will work great in a car doesn't always work great on a motorcycle. Don't find out the hard way what works and doesn't.

HokieDNA01 10-15-2009 09:26 AM

I have a plug kit that I keep with me and some cartridges for reinflating. What are your thoughts on those? I also have AMA road side assistance ;)

Trip 10-15-2009 09:45 AM

BMWMOA members book ftmfw.

NeonspeedRT 10-15-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 278762)
I have a plug kit that I keep with me and some cartridges for reinflating. What are your thoughts on those? I also have AMA road side assistance ;)

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's nothing something I would ride on long term. But to get me home in a pinch, sure why not. Just remember you put a plug in the tire and replace the tire as soon as you can.

shmike 10-15-2009 12:15 PM

Congrats on your first week! :dthumb:

1. AAA does not offer roadside assistance to bikes unless you have motorcycle(and RV) coverage.

2. A plugged tire won't last longer than an unplugged tire. It doesn't have a shorter lifespan either.

3. Practice is a good thing. When did that become debatable?

RACER X 10-15-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 277374)

I put it equal to learning how to ride a bicycle with clips...

i'd equate it to learning to ride vs clips only. noobs on clips usually only fall over at stops, and sometimes starting vs learning to ride.

sure seat time is important, but he needs to get the emergancy stuff practiced so that if while out on the road, and an emergancy sit. appears he's practiced vs the emergancy BEING the practice.

Good Job OP

practice practice practice

get a tennis ball, cut it in 1/2, throw those down as a braking marker. start practicing your emergancy braking, gradually going faster and faster and applying more braking force.......

ease and squeeze vs GRAB!

Gas Man 10-15-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT (Post 278721)
I agree. That stuff causes more problems then it's worth. In case of a flat, have a cell phone and a friend with a truck or trailer. AAA, AMA, HRCA (Honda Riders club) and many other groups also offer free towing and roadside assistance for bikers. Stay away from the green stuff.

Also listen to Gas man. He knows his shit about building, maintaining, and working on bikes. The same stuff that will work great in a car doesn't always work great on a motorcycle. Don't find out the hard way what works and doesn't.

I don't think I've ever worked on a bike... :D

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=782

the chi 10-16-2009 02:07 PM

The guys are right, FAF is bad stuff for bikes. For cars its a whole different ball game. Get a plug kit. Smaller, easier to carry around, less messy and will get your butt home if needed. I always carry one and someone always needs it (usually for a car), never had to use it myself.

Something else good to carry, zip ties!! (And you cant go wrong with bandaids either :wink:)

i2iSTUDIOS 10-16-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chi (Post 279306)
The guys are right, FAF is bad stuff for bikes. For cars its a whole different ball game. Get a plug kit. Smaller, easier to carry around, less messy and will get your butt home if needed. I always carry one and someone always needs it (usually for a car), never had to use it myself.

Something else good to carry, zip ties!! (And you cant go wrong with bandaids either :wink:)

good idea, where do I get these plug kits?

the chi 10-16-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS (Post 279316)
good idea, where do I get these plug kits?

Walmart FTW! Thats where I pick mine up, in the automotive section. They usually have some that come in a neat lil plastic carry bag, small enough to stuff in with your tool kit or into a tail section. Make sure to get one with the tools, and not just the plugs!

karl_1052 10-17-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 278888)
3. Practice is a good thing. When did that become debatable?

When Azoom said so, now kneel before your Queen!

Particle Man 10-20-2009 05:19 PM

Good call on the towel.

And remember: 42.