Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Southwest Riders (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Anyone got a Shoei X-11 in Austin? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=9266)

pdog 07-13-2009 10:19 AM

Anyone got a Shoei X-11 in Austin?

I know it fits me perfectly but want to try one at freeway speeds before I pay that much for a helmet. None of the online or retail stores will accept a helmet that has been used, even that lightly.

So I just want to borrow a Large for 5 minutes. Anyone?

azoomm 07-13-2009 10:26 AM

I do, but it's a medium.

I'll save you the trouble - get a Suomy.

pdog 07-13-2009 10:34 AM

The X-11 fits me, the RF-1000 does not. The Arai Profile fits me, the Quantum 2 does not. So while I appreciate the advice, telling me to get a brand does not tell me if a particular model will fit.

JoJoYZF 07-13-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 240065)
The X-11 fits me, the RF-1000 does not. The Arai Profile fits me, the Quantum 2 does not. So while I appreciate the advice, telling me to get a brand does not tell me if a particular model will fit.

I was the same way with the rf-1000. It didnt fit me but the x-11 is perfect. I just went ahead and bought it and have loved it ever since.

pdog 07-13-2009 11:39 AM

I bought an RF-1000 for $450 two years ago. It was an utter disaster and I had to sell it for a huge loss a month later (it was not an issue of fit). I simply will not make that mistake again. I have no problem doing that with a $200 HJC (I've owned 5 of them) but won't with a $500 helmet from a company that has already burned me once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 240070)
I was the same way with the rf-1000. It didnt fit me but the x-11 is perfect. I just went ahead and bought it and have loved it ever since.

skiergirl 07-13-2009 02:50 PM

I just bought an X-11 and love it but mine's and XS so there's no way it will fit you though...

Have you stopped or talked to Cycle gear, I wore the darn thing around the store taking it on/off for like 20 minutes, even went outside, etc...

They may require a deposit or something in case you wreck with it on but I'd bet if you're serious about getting one they would let you test one out.

fasternyou929 07-13-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 240113)
I bought an RF-1000 for $450 two years ago.

Ouch... do yourself a favor and if the X-11 fits you, shop around online. PM me if you want a link to the place I've ordered all my Shoei helmets from; they're prices are rock bottom and their customer service is top notch!

pdog 07-13-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiergirl (Post 240228)
Have you stopped or talked to Cycle gear, I wore the darn thing around the store taking it on/off for like 20 minutes, even went outside, etc...

The showroom doesn't tell you about venting or noise. I'm mostly concerned about noise because the RF-1000 I had was deafening at highway speeds even with ear plugs in.

Quote:

They may require a deposit or something in case you wreck with it on but I'd bet if you're serious about getting one they would let you test one out.
The guy I talked to two years ago wouldn't. Once the film has been removed from the visor, it's yours.

skiergirl 07-13-2009 04:22 PM

I rode with mine Sunday, I wear earplugs but it was plenty quiet. My earplugs weren't in the whole way when I first went out and it was maybe a tad louder than my previous Arai Q2, but not by much, on the way home I got my ear plugs in better and it was 10 x's more quiet.

I also love that the viewing area is greater, you can see to the sides much better and the chin guard is further from your chin. I could stick out my chin and touch with my Arai, there's no way I'm touching with this one so I assume in a crash it wouldn't hit my mouth as easily.

I understand the hesitation though, it's a lot of money and I wear mine all the time so I need it to be comfortable and fit right.

Adeptus_Minor 07-13-2009 08:33 PM

Mike, fwiw, Helmet Harbor ranks it:

Wind Noise Rating: 7 out of 10
Ventilation Rating: 10 out of 10
Overall Rating: 10 out of 10

How you get "10 out of 10" with a 7 in Wind Noise, I dunno... apparently the noise is worth it for the overall experience? :idk: