Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How to hang off the bike (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1673)

Cutty72 06-09-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 49524)
yeah it's gonna be intresting trying to apply all this... I didn't find any decent twisty's in AK till I got back from my last deployment... and they were already snow covered!...

gonna have to hit the on/off ramps in Fargo like crazy :lol:

Cloverleaves FTW!

At least you'll be good at right turns! :lol:

DLIT 06-09-2008 08:27 PM

BTW it's just a slight pivot, not a huge, drastic pivot.

Trip 06-09-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 49565)
Weight the inside during turn in... weight both during turn, weight outside post-apex while getting on the gas... least that's what I've heard from some TD instructors.

Using weight on the outside rearset helps in all kinds of ways, suspension and traction on the rear tire.

DLIT 06-09-2008 08:34 PM

How are you going to weight the outside during lean? Unless you're talking about the little bit to keep a bit of force against the tank?

Mr Lefty 06-09-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 49577)
Cloverleaves FTW!

At least you'll be good at right turns! :lol:

:lol: yeah ya know!

OneSickPsycho 06-09-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 49593)
How are you going to weight the outside during lean? Unless you're talking about the little bit to keep a bit of force against the tank?

I know what he's talking about... and it's one of those things that pisses me off about my new bike... it's too wide for me to really put any pressure on the outside peg...

Basically you aren't supporting yourself with the outside peg, but allowing some of your weight to be transferred to the outside from the centrifical forces applied to you in the turn... It puts more weight down on the tire instead of laterally like if you just weight the inside peg...

You might already be doing it and not really be noticing...

Trip 06-09-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 49593)

It's not really about holding yourself up, but applying some force to the rear tire. It helps with traction at exceptionally hard riding that I would only suggest to do on the track and not really a concern for street riding. Because more than likely you are riding hard enough to slide the tires.

NONE_too_SOFT 06-09-2008 08:51 PM

fuck it. i'll judge the amount of rash on my lower fairing and frame sliders as a good indicator as to how much farther i have to lean.

This wreck was an epiphany, i thought i'd have body position down, but you really have to have somebody else watching you to know what you're doing. I'm not afraid to get down to the very edge of my tire, but without the right body position its just pointless and you are robbing yourself of speed that you could have otherwise put into the turn. If i had the opportunity to take what trip was telling me and apply it on the track in a controlled environment instead of a road that i wasnt familiar with, i wouldnt be in this situation right now.

needless to say, im healthy, my bikes only moderatly damaged, and i've got track experience to look forward to.

DLIT 06-09-2008 09:03 PM

Sitting back in the seat a lil bit and not riding the tank also puts weight on the rear tire. The g-forces from your 400+ pound bike will put weight on your tires, plus your body weight. The big thing is to not weight your arms, which is also one of the hardest things to perfect. If you weight your arms, you're pushing the front end away from you and that's what causes lowsides.

I'm gonna get Zort involved in this, he's been to many schools and has a lot of tips, some I stole from him while he was talking to somebody else about 'em. Not saying you guys are wrong or anything. Maybe I just don't understand or it is something I'm doing but don't realize it. But my outside foot, during a turn is kind of pushing my knee to the side of the tank so there's a bit of pressure on the tank. When done correctly I could take my inside arm off my bar throughout the entire turn comfortably.

No Worries 06-10-2008 12:46 AM

My friend Dean and I did over 300 curves yesterday. Half were uphill, half were downhill, half were blind corners, many were tight, and some were fast sweepers. These were the roads I was going to take Drewpy and company on.

My favorite curves are the S-curves. You are fully leaned in one direction then one second later, fully leaned in the other direction. Going into the first curve, you have a second to position your inside foot, position your body, locate the turn point, and look through the turn. Then you have half a second to relax the outside grip, and push on the inside grip. Then as you come out of the curve, you can roll on the throttle, push on the outside grip to get the bike upright, and move back to neutral. Then you have a tenth of a second to start doing all the same things on the opposite side of the bike.

What a workout for the brain and body. And what fun when done smoothly and correctly. When you think you master it uphill, then you do it downhill. Then you toss in some sand, cars coming over the double yellow, and deer jumping onto the road.