Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Drinking the Amsoil Kool Aid (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21053)

jtemple 03-06-2012 10:24 AM

Drinking the Amsoil Kool Aid

I have been using Rotella T6 synthetic in every 4-stroke engine I own, from cars, to lawn mowers and motorcycles for a good long time with good results.

I have always been skeptical of claims that certain oil brands were somehow superior to others and operated under the rule that if you keep fresh oil in things, in the grand scheme of things, what brand you use doesn't matter much.

My Husky is notorious for a difficult to find neutral. Shifting has always been good. Not "buttery smooth" or anything like that, but I had nothing to complain about in the shifting department.

The reason neutral was difficult is because of the resistance you encounter while shifting gears. Once you overcome the resistance between 1st and 2nd, you jump right into the next gear. The only way I could reliably get into neutral was shifting the lever with my hand.

I have heard stories of Amsoil giving a smoother shifting tranny in bikes, so I hit up GasMan for a gallon.

I changed my oil over the weekend and played with the shifting & clutch action in the garage and noticed much smoother shifting and an easier to find neutral.

Today, I rode to work. Shifting gears has never been smoother and I can get right into neutral without any fuss.

The Rotella that was in my bike had about 300-350 miles on it. So I'm comparing fresh oil with fresh oil here.

I have enough Amsoil on hand for one more oil change. I'll make my official decision once I put some miles on this oil. But, right now, this might make an Amsoil user out of me.

marko138 03-06-2012 11:32 AM

I've been using it in my Buell for years. It's great stuff.

Dave 03-06-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 507511)
I've been using it in my Buell for years. It's great stuff.

or about one year of normal riding :lol

azoomm 03-06-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 507514)

or, six months...

marko138 03-06-2012 04:51 PM

Why do I post on this forum?

pauldun170 03-06-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 507514)

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 507520)
or, six months...

:lol

Captain Morgan 03-06-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 507524)
Why do I post on this forum?

For the same reason I did when I didn't have a bike...the company. The only difference is that you have a bike. And when I didn't have a bike, I still probably rode a Buell more than you because I borrowed my brother's. :lol:

Mr Lefty 03-06-2012 05:44 PM

I use it too... In both the DRZ and now the Dakar. good shit

Oh yeah and the Pickup. :lol:

Cutty72 03-06-2012 06:18 PM

I have it in everything. Didn't notice any major changes in the cages, but huge improvements in the bikes!

Amber Lamps 03-06-2012 06:26 PM

yep me too.... *knocking on wood* I've never had an engine problem of any kind since switching to Amsoil. Real talk!:lol: Although I do admit that when I'm in a bind, I'll also use Mobile 1 bike oil.