Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Raised the KLR back up to stock height, kickstand too short (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20105)

derf 09-08-2011 10:00 PM

Raised the KLR back up to stock height, kickstand too short

So that is my first world problem of the day. When I bought the KLR it was lowered 2" (possibly 3"), which caused the suspension to compress itself past its design capabilities. it would be good if I had a much strong spring, but as it sat if there was too much weight on the bike it would easily bottom out. I finally found the stock links that the PO gave me when I bought the bike. It only took me 20 minutes to get the stock rear links on and the forks set to stock.

Here is the problem of the day, the kick stand and center stand are both too short. I can do without the center stand but the kick stand I need. My two current options that I am thinking of are to drill a hole in the foot and bolt a thick rubber pad to the kickstand to raise it up. I believe the same will work for the center stand, and its a pretty easy fix. My other option is to weld an extension to the kickstand foot.

Thoughts? Advice? Other options?

anthonyk 09-08-2011 10:30 PM

I don't get it... are the kickstand and center stand not the stock versions? If they are, it seems like putting the bike back to stock would make them work better.

derf 09-08-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 488989)
I don't get it... are the kickstand and center stand not the stock versions? If they are, it seems like putting the bike back to stock would make them work better.

Center stand is aftermarket, and the kickstand is stock, but it looks like it's been cut and had the foot welded back on.

The way the bike sits, if I hang my hammer off the left handlebar the bike tips over. An extra 1"-1.5" would make a world of difference to the kickstand.

anthonyk 09-08-2011 11:16 PM

Figures. Personally, I'd source some stock ones. Otherwise, the rubber foot doesn't sound like a bad idea. Another cut and weld on that thing might push it over the edge. :lol:

derf 09-08-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 488991)
Figures. Personally, I'd source some stock ones. Otherwise, the rubber foot doesn't sound like a bad idea. Another cut and weld on that thing might push it over the edge. :lol:

I am looking for the stock part, but I dont see myself having one in my hand in under a week.

Edit: I think the world just imploded - and came back together, I might be able to swap out kickstands with a local from advrider who has the exact opposite problem: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...161600&page=85

Particle Man 09-09-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 488990)
Center stand is aftermarket, and the kickstand is stock, but it looks like it's been cut and had the foot welded back on.

The way the bike sits, if I hang my hammer off the left handlebar the bike tips over. An extra 1"-1.5" would make a world of difference to the kickstand.

Don't hang your hammer on your bike. Problem solved.

What would you do without us?

azoomm 09-09-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 489028)
Don't hang your hammer on your bike. Problem solved.

What would you do without us?

Yeah I had better advice on fb. :lol: i told him to go on a longer ride.

Particle Man 09-09-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 489039)
Yeah I had better advice on fb. :lol: i told him to go on a longer ride.

I thought about it and realized that with the internet, probably nobody has a dictionary anymore :lol:

Gas Man 09-10-2011 05:51 AM

Sounds like the swap is the best bet...

derf 09-10-2011 10:53 AM

Yeh that is the best and easiest way to go. I am gonna meet up with the guy this afternoon at his house and swap kick stands