Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Riding Gear (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Leathers tucked in or out? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=9601)

derf 07-27-2009 01:22 AM

Leathers tucked in or out?

Ok, so here is something I never understood, why is it that some folks tuck their leathers into their boots, while others wear them outside their boots, I had never thought about it until I saw it on moto gp today and it got me thinking

BobTheBiker 07-27-2009 01:27 AM

I think its personal preference really. I go either way depending on what pair of leathers I'm wearing at the time.

derf 07-27-2009 01:30 AM

My leathers don't even fit over my boots, I never even thought of wearing them over the boots

Mrs. Colleen 07-27-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 247314)
My leathers don't even fit over my boots, I never even thought of wearing them over the boots

:withstupid:

But I went riding with a guy a few weeks ago and he left his pants unzipped at the bottom and over his boots. :idk:

Homeslice 07-27-2009 01:53 AM

Real race suits are meant to be tucked into the boots. Yes, Dainese made a suit that went over the boot, but not many people bought it, and I'm pretty sure it faded out.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247319)
Real race suits are meant to be tucked into the boots. Yes, Dainese made a suit that went over the boot, but not many people bought it, and I'm pretty sure it faded out.

My old leather pants went over the boots and I preferred it personally. I didn't like the added bulk in my boot. besides, I think it looks better, myself.

was92v 07-27-2009 07:14 AM

My opinion is that tucked in is better for crash protection. Pant legs and jacket sleeves catch and roll or pull up when they are exposed. boots help hold them in place and doesn't offer an edge to catch when sliding. It is the same reason I always buy gloves with a gauntlet. In the old days everyone wore lace up work or combat boots for riding and there was no place to tuck the legs into.

Mr Lefty 07-27-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247319)

Rossi's suit still goes OVER his boots. so can't really say it faded out...

but yeah it's how the suit was made... some are meant to go over others to be tucked in. also I think the type of boot you have makes a difference. ie look at the A*'s and then look at Dainese's... the top of the A*'s are huge it'd look retarded pulling your suit over that.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 247329)
Rossi's suit still goes OVER his boots. so can't really say it faded out...

but yeah it's how the suit was made... some are meant to go over others to be tucked in. also I think the type of boot you have makes a difference. ie look at the A*'s and then look at Dainese's... the top of the A*'s are huge it'd look retarded pulling your suit over that.

Ah the A* are adjustable and my jeans/textile pants pull over them just fine even with my leg armor in them.:idk:

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by was92v (Post 247326)
My opinion is that tucked in is better for crash protection. Pant legs and jacket sleeves catch and roll or pull up when they are exposed. boots help hold them in place and doesn't offer an edge to catch when sliding. It is the same reason I always buy gloves with a gauntlet. In the old days everyone wore lace up work or combat boots for riding and there was no place to tuck the legs into.

I've honestly looked at the sleeve thing critically and the sleeve on all of my jackets are too thick/stiff to move more than an inch or so.... I know an inch of exposed skin is an inch of exposed skin but the location of that gap makes it an unlikely place for road rash. IMHO Btw I've crashed in jeans several times and I've never had a pair "roll up" or "pull up" significantly. I don't see how leather would be any more likely to... besides, my friend, we've all seen Rossi crash many times and I've never seen his pants "roll up".:lol:

smileyman 07-27-2009 10:36 AM

There is a reason roadrace boots have armor and sliders on them. They are supposed to be on the outside unless your sponsored by a company that will cater to your own bizarre fashion sense...

Homeslice 07-27-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247398)
Ah the A* are adjustable and my jeans/textile pants pull over them just fine even with my leg armor in them.:idk:

Sure, if you're talking about jeans or textiles.......I do that too.

But leather race suits? Like I said before, the vast majority of them would never be able to fit over the boot, even if you wanted them to.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 247414)
There is a reason roadrace boots have armor and sliders on them. They are supposed to be on the outside unless your sponsored by a company that will cater to your own bizarre fashion sense...

Who you calling "bizarre" mother fucker?!?:lol: I'm looking at my boots wondering where these above the ankle sliders are? Besides the armor works whether the boot is inside or outside. Oh and I don't think that Rossi is weird or that Dainese would make a suit that way if they were concerned about it's safety.:idk: Actually, I think this is a fun/interesting topic. I honestly don't see the difference protection wise. I think you guys are a bunch of traditionalist "fuddy-duddys":lol:

CrazyKell 07-27-2009 11:01 AM

Leathers tucked into boots.

Jeans over boots.

Homeslice 07-27-2009 11:08 AM

The only reason Rossi wears what he wears is because Dainese pays him to. Personally I think RS Taichi and Kushitani suits are superior.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247435)
Sure, if you're talking about jeans or textiles.......I do that too.

But leather race suits? Like I said before, the vast majority of them would never be able to fit over the boot, even if you wanted them to.

Oh you're right. Unless the pants were made that way like...

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ts_Black_z.jpg

There are several others, I think that it's a matter of taste myself...

smileyman 07-27-2009 11:29 AM

LOL@Tigger! Bottom line is it doesnt effect safety or your lap times at all. Its just fun to poke fun!

FYI I have used toe, ankle, shin, and calve sliders at some point occaisionally while saving a crash or outright crashing. If you go down hard your going to get torn up!

Homeslice 07-27-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247452)
Oh you're right. Unless the pants were made that way like...

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ts_Black_z.jpg

There are several others, I think that it's a matter of taste myself...

Like I said, RACE SUITS. Not just leather pants that are sold separately.

Trip 07-27-2009 11:41 AM

Just depends on the suit you buy, some tuck in and some go over.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 247471)
LOL@Tigger! Bottom line is it doesnt effect safety or your lap times at all. Its just fun to poke fun!

FYI I have used toe, ankle, shin, and calve sliders at some point occaisionally while saving a crash or outright crashing. If you go down hard your going to get torn up!

Calf sliders?:lol:

Homeslice 07-27-2009 11:48 AM

The specific Dainese model I mentioned is the only top-shelf race suit I'm familiar with that goes outside the boot. If you guys can find any other RACE SUIT that fits over the boot, it's probably a cheap Ebay $500 piece of shit made in Pakistan that no racer worth his salt would ever buy anyway.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247450)
The only reason Rossi wears what he wears is because Dainese pays him to. Personally I think RS Taichi and Kushitani suits are superior.

Kushitani? Have you owned Kushitani leathers and Dainese leathers? I have and the Dainese was superior! I've never owned RS Taichi so I don't know and won't speculate about something I know nothing about...:wink: BTW I hated the Kushitani two piece gloves.... HATED THEM!!!:panic:

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 247444)

Jeans over boots.

Fuddy Duddy!:lol:

Homeslice 07-27-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 247444)

Jeans over boots.

This lady knows what's up.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247486)
The specific Dainese model I mentioned is the only top-shelf race suit I'm familiar with that goes outside the boot. If you guys can find any other RACE SUIT that fits over the boot, it's probably a cheap Ebay $500 piece of shit made in Pakistan that no racer worth his salt would ever buy anyway.

Fuddy Duddy!:lol: Btw everybody is having their leathers made in China these days Pops, very few companies use Pakistan anymore...:lol:

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247494)
This lady knows what's up.

Well if you love her so much why don't you marry her? You could get his and her's rocking chairs for your front porch and everything!:lol:
Mr and Mrs Fuddy Duddy!:lol:

Homeslice 07-27-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247489)
Kushitani? Have you owned Kushitani leathers and Dainese leathers? I have and the Dainese was superior! I've never owned RS Taichi so I don't know and won't speculate about something I know nothing about...:wink: BTW I hated the Kushitani two piece gloves.... HATED THEM!!!:panic:

Um, so how about their suits? Have you seen Kushitani suits? Do they even have them in stores out there, like they do over here? You can't find better leather than Kushitani, IMO. They raise their own cows. And don't hate on the gloves just because you couldn't fit them........I owned some, and I thought they were top-quality stuff. They feel like a second skin, but they run long and skinny, because duh, they are Asian fit.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247501)
Um, so how about their suits? Have you seen Kushitani suits? Do they even have them in stores out there, like they do over here? You can't find better leather than Kushitani, IMO. They raise their own cows. And don't hate on the gloves just because you couldn't fit them........I owned some, and I thought they were top-quality stuff. They feel like a second skin, but they run long and skinny, because duh, they are Asian fit.

Damn! I'm gonna give it to you on the gloves! Man those bitches were terrible fit wise and would not "break in" to save my life!!! I won't necessarily agree that their leather is the best though. They had just come out with their "silk screen" on leather technique that I found to be irresistible at the time!:drool: It's funny but I've owned 60-75% of all the "off the rack" leather makers from AGV to Vanson and you'll laugh but I really like Icon's quality and the way they are manufactured.

smileyman 07-27-2009 12:37 PM

Yeah, my AVG has hard armour on the back of the boot. I havent crashed in them but I have put a hard footpeg in them often enough to know they are saving me from some pain. Not riding but loading and unloading the bike, lol

the shin and ankle armor helped me ride out a near lowside while racing Danny Eslick at the Pridmore school. The toe sliders do their bit often...

Homeslice 07-27-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247505)
Damn! I'm gonna give it to you on the gloves! Man those bitches were terrible fit wise and would not "break in" to save my life!!! I won't necessarily agree that their leather is the best though. They had just come out with their "silk screen" on leather technique that I found to be irresistible at the time!:drool: It's funny but I've owned 60-75% of all the "off the rack" leather makers from AGV to Vanson and you'll laugh but I really like Icon's quality and the way they are manufactured.

Icon isn't bad for the price you pay......I just think they have too many stitches and potential tear points because of all the patches and things they put on them. Kushitani raises their own cows, so they control the leather quality to the extent where they can cut bigger pieces than the other guys. Bigger pieces = fewer stitches. Also their leather feels really soft & supple. There's a lot of Alpinestars and Shift that feels really stiff, like cardboard.

BTW I think RS Taichi is the only one with the silk-screen technique.......and they only put in on their $1200+ suits, not the $800-1200 ones.

azoomm 07-27-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247489)

You're crazy.

Kushitani and Taichi are absolutely superior in their construction and leather used. Spidi and Dainese comes close to those two with their high end suits. Both Kushitani and Taichi don't mess around with low end product.

The only suits I've seen in person that go over boots are flat track race suits....

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 247528)
Icon isn't bad for the price you pay......I just think they have too many stitches and potential tear points because of all the patches and things they put on them. Kushitani raises their own cows, so they control the leather quality to the extent where they can cut bigger pieces than the other guys. Bigger pieces = fewer stitches. Also their leather feels really soft & supple. There's a lot of Alpinestars and Shift that feels really stiff, like cardboard.

BTW I think RS Taichi is the only one with the silk-screen technique.......and they only put in on their $1200+ suits, not the $800-1200 ones.

I agree on fewer pieces=better crash protection. Dainese and several other companies use a separate piece of leather for every color. Icon layers the colors on and Kush and you say RS silk screens the colors on. I don't know for sure but in my "crazy" mind, I've crashed Icon, Dainese, A*, Joe Rocket, Technic and AGV and my Icon stood up the best. Of course every crash is different so...:idk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 247533)
You're crazy.

Kushitani and Taichi are absolutely superior in their construction and leather used. Spidi and Dainese comes close to those two with their high end suits. Both Kushitani and Taichi don't mess around with low end product.

The only suits I've seen in person that go over boots are flat track race suits....

Damn you're sexy!!!

azoomm 07-27-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247550)
Damn you're sexy!!!

:nee:

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 247553)
:nee:

Mmmmmm...I like that tongue!!!

HokieDNA01 07-27-2009 01:47 PM

I just saw an add for Dainese in the latest AMA mag and it had Rossi in the "over the boot" leathers I immediately saw it and thought it looked odd. My leathers would never fit over my boots.

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 02:04 PM

How do I look in my new chaps?:lol:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ian_Cortez.jpg

OMG I'm gonna pass the fuck out from laughing!!!!

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 02:13 PM

Man! I need to clean this up! Here,

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ba-chaps-2.jpg

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 02:20 PM

Whew that's a little better!

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...western063.jpg

z06boy 07-27-2009 02:26 PM

First freakin' thread I clicked on this afternoon and it went from :big:

... to

:ds: in 2.8 seconds !! :lol: :lol:

Amber Lamps 07-27-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 247595)
First freakin' thread I clicked on this afternoon and it went from :big:

... to

:ds: in 2.8 seconds !! :lol: :lol:

Yea I'm looking for an image of Chaps for a joke and trip over this fudge pop and couldn't resist!!!:lol:

z06boy 07-27-2009 02:30 PM

"fudge pop" :lol:

HokieDNA01 07-27-2009 05:28 PM

Here are some cute pink chaps to add to your list

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuv...less-chaps.jpg

HokieDNA01 07-27-2009 05:29 PM

Oh I ment to post these....My bad!! ;)

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2...nk%20Chaps.jpg

derf 07-27-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 247725)
Oh I ment to post these....My bad!! ;)

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2...nk%20Chaps.jpg

Not a bad picture if I might say so, but I think someone needs to take a picture of her checking her oil level.

Anyway, my boots have calf sliders near the top of the cuff, toe sliders, and ankle sliders, I hope to never worry about hitting the plastic pucks on the upper portion of the boots. And my leathers fit over my boots, but I cant get the zipper all the way down, I miss it by just less than an inch.

RACER X 08-03-2009 03:48 PM

my boots wouldn't zip closed w/ my leathers tucked in, had the leathers altered to go overthe boot.

Amber Lamps 08-03-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 250329)
my boots wouldn't zip closed w/ my leathers tucked in, had the leathers altered to go overthe boot.

You sir are gambling with your very LIFE!!!:lol: That leather might roll up over your leg, or catch an edge or who knows what other worst case, unlikely, and improbable scenario!!! :lol:

Homeslice 08-03-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 250329)

what kind of boots?

leather pants, or race suit?

Inferno 08-03-2009 11:31 PM

You will know if they are intended to be tucked in or out. A vast majority are to be tucked in, and a select few like Dainese will be out.

I have a RS Taichi EVO Viper and it will not fit OVER the boots. It was designed to fit UNDER the boots. Is it better than over the boots leathers?...I don't know. I have done my research and spent my money as needed. Dainese has outstanding products, shoot I have a Dainese Jacket...which is exactly what I wanted in an every day leather jacket.

TIGGER, read this and pay attention to the last paragraph:

http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/...ws_258664.html

Homeslice 08-04-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247496)
Fuddy Duddy!:lol: Btw everybody is having their leathers made in China these days Pops, very few companies use Pakistan anymore...:lol:

I know for a fact that a lot of AGVSport and Texport is still made in Pakistan. Their shit is the most poorly-fitting and badly-stitched crap I've ever tried on.

Oh and what up Inferno! Nice suit, baller!

Amber Lamps 08-04-2009 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 250487)
You will know if they are intended to be tucked in or out. A vast majority are to be tucked in, and a select few like Dainese will be out.

I have a RS Taichi EVO Viper and it will not fit OVER the boots. It was designed to fit UNDER the boots. Is it better than over the boots leathers?...I don't know. I have done my research and spent my money as needed. Dainese has outstanding products, shoot I have a Dainese Jacket...which is exactly what I wanted in an every day leather jacket.

TIGGER, read this and pay attention to the last paragraph:

http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/...ws_258664.html

Well if Kenny (who the fuck is that?) Pryde says so....:lol: Look I never said anything bad about RST. Shit, when I was doing track days they either didn't exist or they weren't exporting to the US. I've had Technics, Dainese and Kushitani suits. I have a Joe Rocket jacket and pants. I even still have some A* and Icon stuff floating around here. I've owned Vanson, AGV, Hans Gerieke, Fieldsheer, Spidi and some other bullshit I can't think of right now. Fuck I own at least 10 jackets right now, I think... I'm not even sure. :lol: Who cares? The question is, whether there is some "safety reason" as your buddy has implied, to not have your leather pants outside your boots and I say, no there isn't. The rest of this is bull shit. Because by the way it's going now, if RST made pants that went outside the boots THEN it would be acceptable! :lol:

RACER X 08-04-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 250469)
what kind of boots?

leather pants, or race suit?

sidi vert2
custom barnacle bills suit

i have huge calves.

HokieDNA01 08-04-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 250517)
sidi vert2

i have huge calves.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. Love my BB suit and many boot manuf. now have majorly adjustable calf areas. I have Vertigo Leis and they actually fit over my ober thick leathers.

RACER X 08-04-2009 11:50 AM

teh vert IIs had adj calves, and i maxed them. currently my sidis are "street" oriantated, and i can barely get the velcro to stick together, esp. after being at a desk for 12 hrs.

Homeslice 08-04-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 250517)
sidi vert2

i have huge calves.

Did you specifically ask him to make your suit fit over the boots?

If not, that's a major FAIL on his part for not sizing your suit correctly. Didn't you give him measurements of everything?

Homeslice 08-04-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 247500)
Well if you love her so much why don't you marry her? You could get his and her's rocking chairs for your front porch and everything!:lol:
Mr and Mrs Fuddy Duddy!:lol:

People who don't ride wear pants over their boots, so THAT'S fuddy-duddy IMO. :lol:

HokieDNA01 08-04-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 250700)

If not, that's a major FAIL on his part for not sizing your suit correctly. Didn't you give him measurements of everything?

BB is totally custom. I think he is complaining about his boots being too tight. BB does use VERY thick leather though so that makes it hard when you have big calves.

RACER X 08-04-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

AFTER i got the suit the 1st time and couldn't close my boots. sent it back and he redid the legs.

karl_1052 08-04-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Have you seen the size of Ed?redflip

Inferno 08-04-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 250503)
I know for a fact that a lot of AGVSport and Texport is still made in Pakistan. Their shit is the most poorly-fitting and badly-stitched crap I've ever tried on.

Oh and what up Inferno! Nice suit, baller!

What up Homeslice, where you been hiding? I'd say lets go ride, but I be moving to the east coast very very soon :rockwoot:

Homeslice 08-05-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 250963)
What up Homeslice, where you been hiding? I'd say lets go ride, but I be moving to the east coast very very soon :rockwoot:

Up in the Bay Area now. You going back to Baltimore?

Inferno 08-05-2009 08:35 PM

B-More is a possibility, but I'm going to the ATL...Smyrna and Brookhaven. Bay Area? Dang dude, never been up there but I hear the riding is excellent