Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Unofficially done with bring the CBR in for service (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21236)

pauldun170 04-19-2012 09:45 PM

Unofficially done with bring the CBR in for service

I've only been bring it in because its under warranty but with the crazy service intervals nowadays I'm overdoing it by going ....
ok...I've been lazy.
there I said it.

Well After bringing it in for a coolant\oil\tire change and finding that
A. they overfilled my oil by a decent amount
B. Brought it in spotless...they gave it back a greasy mess (under the body work)
C. They didn't put the bodywork back on properly

I'm officially annoyed at both the shop and myself for not doing a proper inspection when I picked it up. I should have caught the fairings not attached properly.

G-Rex 04-19-2012 10:33 PM

I look at every job as an opportunity to buy more tools. I'm finally to the point I have everything I need.

If I buy something now, it is an oddball model specific tool, but I have most of those too.

Welcome to the *screw sloppy mechanic work* club.

askmrjesus 04-19-2012 10:56 PM

"Shop rate"

Some fucking bean counter engineer, has already decided how long it should take to fix your bike.

He's not a mechanic. He's never seen your particular bike. He assumes it looks just the picture in the manual.

His estimation of the time involved to do the work, is applied to the software the dealership uses to quote you a price. Oil change on bike A, Model year B, should cost X.

The service manager checks off the little boxes on the screen, prints out the service form, and hands it to the mechanic.

The mechanic looks at the form, and now knows that his end of the "Shop Rate" is X dollars, as long as he can do it in X hours. If it takes him longer than X hours, tough shit. If it takes him less hours, sweet.

This is why your shit comes back all fucked up.

JC

Gas Man 04-20-2012 04:44 AM

First off... as I always say... "why pay someone else to F up your bike?"

On the other hand... I have found this is expected with metric (yam/kaw/suz) dealers. My BIL is expierencing this with his Kaw Vulcan. My HD dealer is TOP NOTCH service and that would never fly. HD won't allow it.

Just to give you an idea of how much HD corperate gets involved... they just made my dealer replace all their shop lights... they came in and said the shop didn't meet their specs for shop lumens. It wasn't dark in there... the dealer changed it all... WOW brighter, the mechanics love it.

I'm sure there is a similar level of professionalism on other premium motorcycles like BMW.

For example I really like my BIL's Kaw, but the dealerships customer service blows compared to my HD dealer. It's like the those metric companies don't push them to better service. IDK.

tommymac 04-20-2012 09:14 AM

Which dealer was it Paul?

Trace you can never say you have all the tools you need, have to justify buying those new tools down the road ;)

jtemple 04-20-2012 09:16 AM

I have never taken a motorcycle in for service. The last time mine see the dealership is when I sign the paperwork and drive them off the lot. The most they'll see of the bike are the wheels when I bring them in for new tires, and that's only for streetbikes. Dirtbike tires I change myself.

I haven't had to do anything major, like new rings or anything like that. But, when the time comes, I plan on learning.

Trip 04-20-2012 09:23 AM

I still take my BMW in for service. I don't like messing with the BMW computer stuff. Like messing with the brakes is a pain in the ass with the ABS and all that. So I let them do it. My local BMW dealer in Knoxville and Chattanooga are both real well known reliable dealers for service though.

I won't bring in a bike that I can do the service myself though. I do most everything on the BMW that isn't computer related and do some of the computer stuff now that I have a GS911.

pauldun170 04-20-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 510878)
Which dealer was it Paul?

Trace you can never say you have all the tools you need, have to justify buying those new tools down the road ;)

Funwheels in Medford.
I don't want to condemn the shop or the mechanics since even the best shops have off days.

Cutty72 04-20-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 510866)
First off... as I always say... "why pay someone else to F up your bike?"

On the other hand... I have found this is expected with metric (yam/kaw/suz) dealers. My BIL is expierencing this with his Kaw Vulcan. My HD dealer is TOP NOTCH service and that would never fly. HD won't allow it.

I'm sure there is a similar level of professionalism on other premium motorcycles like BMW.

For example I really like my BIL's Kaw, but the dealerships customer service blows compared to my HD dealer. It's like the those metric companies don't push them to better service. IDK.

HD may not allow it on a HD bike. Bring them something that doesn't say HD on it and they care more about they shit they just flushed.
Had more issues with my Buell. Some of it was plain ignorance since they had never done "x" on that bike before. (I bought the first one, and put on the most miles) But even plastic being put on incorrectly and fasteners forgotten got kind of annoying.

G-Rex 04-20-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 510882)
now that I have a GS911

Oh really now.....very interesting. :D