Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Riding Gear (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New Lid: Schuberth C3 (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20511)

Trip 11-07-2011 08:05 PM

New Lid: Schuberth C3

5 Attachment(s)
So I went old man with my newest lid, but this thing is bad ass. Short list of some of the neat features:

Slide down tinted visor with a mechanism that works on both sides, no screw ups sliding up or down

pinlock double clear visor, no fogging up

ratchet strap system that makes for simple put on/take off

amazing vent system, feels like you are riding helmetless

very quiet, much more than my Shoei X-11 or Hornet

built in speaker holes in the foam, you can't feel your com speakers in your helmet

very awesome chin padding system for cold weather

Schuberth ribbing on visor that breaks the wind buffeting instead of using the back fin that most helmets have

very light

Here are some pics

Particle Man 11-07-2011 08:49 PM

Nice looking lid. My comment about NY stands :lol:

derf 11-07-2011 11:31 PM

I'm an old man helmet convert. I think from now on I want two helmets around the house, a full face and a flip up with a drop down visor.

The C3 looks good, but really its too expensive for my tastes. The Nolan I wore at the rally is nice, but I wish I would have spent the extra $$$ on the scorpion and gotten a face shield that wont fog on my.

Particle Man 11-08-2011 06:42 AM

I just know that I need to change helmets for my neck's sake. Hurts like a mofo after 200 miles or so.

G-Rex 11-08-2011 07:08 AM

I've been thinking about a Schuberth! I'm glad to see that you are pleased with it. I'll probably get one over the winter.

I did notice one thing though. Your sticker on the back, well, you're missing a few states. ;)

Trip 11-08-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 497984)
I did notice one thing though. Your sticker on the back, well, you're missing a few states. ;)

Working on that, I have only took one touring trip so far :P

Gas Man 11-08-2011 08:31 PM

I'm curious how you like it over time. I like my nolan modular but there are things I wish were different or better.

Trip 11-08-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 498139)
I'm curious how you like it over time. I like my nolan modular but there are things I wish were different or better.

I will keep you up to date. So far I love it. I really really love my Hornet, but that visor wears your neck out, but I don't like to take it off cause the helmet looks retarded without it.

Having the built in tinted visor will be bad ass too. I hate wearing sunglasses and changing visors, so I normally just go clear all the time.

I really wish it had the flip over feature of the shark evoline, but that helmet just didn't fit me right.

Gas Man 11-08-2011 09:04 PM

Yeah I will definitely want to try one on. I wonder if my local BMW dealer will have them...

Trip 11-08-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 498157)
Yeah I will definitely want to try one on. I wonder if my local BMW dealer will have them...

I had to go to Dual Sport Touring to get one. BMW didn't have one here.

Captain Morgan 11-08-2011 10:11 PM

I may have to check these out when I decide to buy a new lid. Probably need one next summer, but will have to wait and see how the finances are at that time.

Gas Man 12-11-2011 09:05 PM

Got to use it at all?

Trip 12-11-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 501352)
Got to use it at all?

Yeah, I love it. The main thing I need to change is what they do on the euro models. They have a piece of velcro on the chin straps to keep them from coming apart an letting the ratchet rub your neck.

Gas Man 12-11-2011 09:27 PM

Cool.

G-Rex 02-17-2012 07:40 AM

Bumpity bump

Ok so I'm actively on the hunt for a new lid. Figured this would be just as well to bump an existing thread.

Schuberth C3 is at the top of the list. There's the Multitec, Scorpion, Nolan, etc. out there, but the Schuberth...

Trip, Ebbs, Papa Complex, I know y'all have Schuberths, so what's the long term concensus?

I'm especially interested in Ebbs' experience this last week with the cold weather performance of the lid. I think he did a little bit of sub 50 temp riding. LOL.

Trip 02-17-2012 07:43 AM

I love mine. Only mod I like is an easy one that the international version already has, a piece of velcro to hold cloth over the strap, so it doesn't rub your neck. I've done 20's and 30's in mine and it has been fine. The cold weather performance is excellent.

The fit is a little weird, so maybe you need to take a trip out here and come try one on at dual sport touring.

The multitec has been phased out, shoei has a new version that looks like a complete schuberth ripoff.

G-Rex 02-17-2012 08:22 AM

Trp, how is it with your comm system? Quiet enough that you can hear well?

I was looking at the website this morning and saw the SRC bluetooth system, but it's pricey, and I already have a Cardo Scale Q2.

derf 02-17-2012 08:29 AM

Stay away from the HJC line, I have the IS max, their mid-grade lid. It doesnt really impress me at all. It works so I'm not getting rid of it yet, but it sucks at flowing air

Trip 02-17-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 506233)
Trp, how is it with your comm system? Quiet enough that you can hear well?

I was looking at the website this morning and saw the SRC bluetooth system, but it's pricey, and I already have a Cardo Scale Q2.

It's a lot more quiet than my Shoei Hornet and on par with my shoei X-11. It's very quiet for a modular.

I wish the SRC bluetooth system was Sena, but unfortunately it's Scala. The Sena has to mount little too far back because of the flip up dark visor mechanism, but it still reaches barely. It would work better with the other mic setup that Sena offers at an additional cost.

The venting on this lid is unbelievable for a two vent system. It works freakin amazing.

Mr Lefty 02-18-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 506232)
I love mine. Only mod I like is an easy one that the international version already has, a piece of velcro to hold cloth over the strap, so it doesn't rub your neck. I've done 20's and 30's in mine and it has been fine. The cold weather performance is excellent.

The fit is a little weird, so maybe you need to take a trip out here and come try one on at dual sport touring.

The multitec has been phased out, shoei has a new version that looks like a complete schuberth ripoff.

LOVE mine... here's the +/-'s
+makes photography, communication easy... though this is just a general Modular helmet +
+relatively quiet... though haven't warn it on the DRZ so I don't know what's the helmet and what's the windscreen.
+WARM when closed... flows very little air when the vents are closed... even the coldest days my face never got cold.
+vents open flow massive amounts of air(still had the flap blocking the inside of the top vent and still felt it cool. gonna love it in the MS Winter.
+ease of use. the one button open is nice... and well designed for use with gloves.. especially nice when your hands are frozen and can't pinch two buttons like a few of the Nolans I've seen.
+Visor has nice detents to keep it open at various levels, and has a nice solid clip in the center to make sure it stays sealed.
+Sun-visor is perfect for me... not too dark... not too light... a common issue with them I've read.
+Chin curtain wraps tight around your neck so less wind noise comes from under the helmet.
+winter insert in the chin reduces area exposed to the Sub-zero temps when riding... and works well.
+Pin-lock works well when not getting snowed on
+detents for speakers in the liner

now the Neg
- Pin-lock doesn't work at all when snow or ice gets on the visor.
- chin area has to be held down as I lower the front or it hits the front of my chin and won't secure...
- sun visor control forces Sena to be mounted further back... not a big issue since I have the remote mount mic.

all of my Neg are minor issues. This is a phenomenal helmet... and on this trip... I was GLAD I payed $700 for it. it really exceeded expectation for me.

Trip 02-18-2012 04:11 PM

I think you would be hard pressed to find a non goggle helmet setup that worked really well without fogging in snow/ice conditions.

Papa_Complex 03-15-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 506231)
Ok so I'm actively on the hunt for a new lid. Figured this would be just as well to bump an existing thread.

Schuberth C3 is at the top of the list. There's the Multitec, Scorpion, Nolan, etc. out there, but the Schuberth...

Trip, Ebbs, Papa Complex, I know y'all have Schuberths, so what's the long term concensus?

I'm especially interested in Ebbs' experience this last week with the cold weather performance of the lid. I think he did a little bit of sub 50 temp riding. LOL.

Sorry, just saw this now.

Pin Lock works reasonably well, but it's not perfect. I still get some fogging in very high humidity, with temps around freezing. 40F+ shouldn't be an issue.

The helmet is quiet. Maybe the most quiet that I've owned. I still use earplugs for highway riding, though, because the wind noise is still at a level that can cause damage over the long term.

The helmet is very comfortable, but YMMV based on head shape. The lining is removable, for cleaning. Air flow is quite good, but not quite up to the level of my old top of the line Arai or Shoei helmets. Then again those helmets aren't as quiet.

G-Rex 03-17-2012 09:28 AM

I'm gonna head up to Tulsa today (about 90 miles away) to try on a Schuberth and see how it fits. Our local BMW shop carried them, but they closed down a couple of months ago because they were crooks apparently. (selling bikes on consignment and not giving the money to the owners, claiming warranty service to BMW that wasn't done, etc.)

I want to try on the new Shoei Neotec too, but nobody around here has one yet. I've found them in Austin, but I don't have time to make it down there yet.

I've been told by someone that attended a Shoei seminar for dealers at Daytona last week that they were told the Neotec is similar to the RF1100 in internal shape, so I'm going to find one of those to try on for a general idea.

Taking the BMW. I have some new long distance add-ons I need to try out and shake down before I use this bike for what it was made for here in about 2 weeks.. :) I'll post another thread on that later today.

G-Rex 03-17-2012 06:26 PM

Well, no luck finding a Neotec as I expected. I tried on an RF1100, and it probably wouldn't have been bad IF I had never tried on the Schuberth.

Wow, comfortable and fits great. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the latch system, but it is nice. I like how easy it is to pop the shield off/on if need be too.

Very impressive, and it become obvious very quickly why it's a $700 helmet.

One thing I did notice that I wonder about. Trip, Ebbs, how did y'all get the Sena mounted? Did you have to pull back the neckroll a little bit to get the clamp in?

derf 03-17-2012 07:00 PM

I just looked at ebbs, if is just stickied on. I put a photo of out on facebook. He said that he had to trim the stickie stuff a little to get it over the lip on the bottom

Trip 03-17-2012 07:12 PM

I used the sticker mount just behind the visor mech. Mic still reaches.

You look at my picture, you can see mine is stickered over the back side of the visor mount. I put it as far forward on the visor mech as possible without interfering with the movement of the visor mech. I cut off all the sticker that was on top the visor mech.

As far as the ratchet system. sew some velcro onto the cloth part to keep the ratchet system from rubbing your neck. This is standard on the euro version, don't know why they don't do it for us.

azoomm 03-17-2012 07:21 PM

I think you should go cardo and sell your sena. Well, that is, if you go with this helmet. I love my cardo systems. And, it's made to go with that helmet.

Trip 03-17-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508449)
I think you should go cardo and sell your sena. Well, that is, if you go with this helmet. I love my cardo systems. And, it's made to go with that helmet.

Tried both, rather sena, even though it's not as invisible on the helmet. Plus, you can get a bunch of sena's for the price of the schuberth cardo system.

G-Rex 03-18-2012 04:09 PM

Moira, I have a Cardo Q2 already (actually I have two, so if you know anybody that wants them let me know.) Unfortunately, it's not A2DP, so it doesn't support bluetooth tunes, which I want, so I have to move up to a different comm.

I could go either way re: Cardo or Sena, but the small button mic the Sena offers puts it a little ahead of the Cardo. The boom mic works, but I'm all for an option that moves it into more compact packaging. Plus, I don't intend to really use it for phone / talking / etc.

The whole reason I get on my bike is so I DON'T have to talk to people. LOL. The bluetooth tunes will be nice though, and that's my primary reason.

azoomm 05-15-2012 11:58 PM

My C3W just got here. Just in time to head to Detroit this weekend with BMW.

Gas Man 05-17-2012 11:16 PM

WOW it is this weekend!!

Carolina 05-19-2012 08:29 PM

nice lid, i could use one going bck n forth through the posts gates n to help cool off with this heat at lights

azoomm 05-20-2012 03:44 PM

All I have to say, incredible helmet. Absolutely incredible.

Papa_Complex 05-20-2012 05:20 PM

My one piece of advice would be to put a little bead of silicone across the sun visor and its mount, because I've had mine pop off a couple of times.

tommymac 06-20-2012 11:00 AM

Anyone have any expierence withthe S2 version. I am giving these a serious look after the poor results I had with my sena and hearing the music.

Wasnt too keen on the price but they do have a ton of features that puts it above the others so I am seriously considering it.

Trip 06-20-2012 11:27 AM

S2 is that the full face?

tommymac 06-20-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 514408)
S2 is that the full face?

yes. Figured it could be easier with mounting the sena and may be able to use the regular bracket. I would like a flip up lid but its not a major need right now.

Trip 06-20-2012 12:34 PM

I have not heard of a lot people using that one. You could probably find a better cheaper full face that fits your head better.

I would go try it on before you purchase. Any helmet you should really wear around a bit first.

Papa_Complex 06-20-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 514406)
Anyone have any expierence withthe S2 version. I am giving these a serious look after the poor results I had with my sena and hearing the music.

Wasnt too keen on the price but they do have a ton of features that puts it above the others so I am seriously considering it.

Damned near bought one a couple of weeks back, but ended up having to put the money toward a new home PC when my photo/video editing rig bit the big one. Feature and comfort-wise it's as good as the C3, but of course comfort is subjective of head shape.

If I sell a hundred copies of my books or make a major corporate picture sale (unlikely at best), then you can bet that I'll be heading over to the local distributor to pick one up.

tommymac 06-20-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 514415)
I have not heard of a lot people using that one. You could probably find a better cheaper full face that fits your head better.

I would go try it on before you purchase. Any helmet you should really wear around a bit first.

I am bringing the triumph in for a new fuel tank on friday (yaaaa warantee!!!!!!!) so I am going to see if they have them and will try one on.