Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Southwest Riders (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Austin, i need your help! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=6568)

azoomm 03-10-2009 03:34 PM

Austin, i need your help!

I just got a call asking me to speak for the committee proposing the lane splitting bill.SB 506

There is opposition, and its from motorcyclists. They don't want to be FORCED to wear a helmet. What.the.hell.I think its a great idea. So I want to support it as is. The hearing is next Wednesday. I'm getting full details emailed to me with all the times, but she said to expect it in the AM. I want to show up with a small army of responsible riders trying to push this through process.

Who's with me?

Archren 03-10-2009 04:15 PM

No guarantees since I'll be at work, but like I said on FB, I'll talk to my boss and see what she says once you know what time it's going to be.

G-Rex 03-10-2009 04:18 PM

Does the bill as it is worded now require mandatory helmet use throughout the state in order for the lane splitting law to be enacted? I assume so if this is the nature of the opposition?

lauralynne 03-10-2009 04:28 PM

I did something similiar up here when the lane splitting bill was heard. In WA, we've already got mandatory helmets so the 'small print' on our bill was mandatory motorcycle insurance. Which would suck giant donkey balls. I'm opposed to mandatory moto insurance. but lane splitting I spoke about.

G-Rex 03-10-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauralynne (Post 178149)
I'm opposed to mandatory moto insurance. but lane splitting I spoke about.

I'll ask before someone else does.

Why would you be opposed to that? Did it mean *every* bike, dirtbikes, racebikes, etc., or did it specifically mean street bikes?

azoomm 03-10-2009 04:36 PM

Damn thread jacked already???

Come on people, everyone is very quick to whine about what happens in government, here is your chance to get involved. I already have a dozen from personal connections.... How important is this to you?

G-Rex 03-10-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 178158)

Come on people, everyone is very quick to whine about what happens in government, here is your chance to get involved. I already have a dozen from personal connections.... How important is this to you?

Not totally threadjacked! I asked *you* a question too! I'd be there if I could!

Archren 03-10-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 178158)

Unfortunately, being as I am government property, I'm pretty limited in when I can just up and leave work. Heh. Give me a ballpark on the time, and I'll do everything in my power to be there.

lauralynne 03-10-2009 04:43 PM

let me find some of my notes from the hearings here - I also have a friend who was/is the driving force with a lot of the moto friendly bills in this state. I will gather up his info and forward it to you. I'm sure there's a metric ton.
Good luck!

(threadjack taken to PM's ;))

JoshuaTree 03-10-2009 05:18 PM

I wish I could take the time off, but my present "employer" barely tolerates the legally required 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch time off the job as is. If they'll allow you to read other people's statements into the record, I'll compose something tonight... :shrug: