Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Model Reviews (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Lied with the S1000rr (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20983)

nhgunnut 02-18-2012 11:29 AM

Lied with the S1000rr

Has anyone here lived with the S1000rr? My wife is on my to shrink the stable I am thinking of getting rid of my 2 Suzukis Keeping the gold Wing and getting something like the S1000rr or the 1199. Little leery of the 1199 in that it is first year of production. The BMW has been around long enough to get sorted a bit. If you own one any thoughts?

azoomm 02-18-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 506338)
Has anyone here lived with the S1000rr? My wife is on my to shrink the stable I am thinking of getting rid of my 2 Suzukis Keeping the gold Wing and getting something like the S1000rr or the 1199. Little leery of the 1199 in that it is first year of production. The BMW has been around long enough to get sorted a bit. If you own one any thoughts?

Yes, we have one as a track bike. My best friend has one - and working with the demo fleet for the past few years I've watched them get beat to hell by the public.

This year, they have 38 updates to the new model. They have given the bike a better suspension, rake and aerodynamics. The power delivery has been updated and the bike has a GPS that will tell you best lap among other details if you decide to track it. The data acquisition on this bike is unlike any out there in the stock form. Oh, and you can get heated handgrips :wink:

The Ducati, it's beautiful, incredibly narrow and the power/torque delivery on it is worthy of the brand. But, like you said it's the first year. And, given the design using the engine as a "frame" there have already been some complications.

If you are looking for a used one, I know of two that have nice upgrade bits that are going up for sale. They both are getting new models and will need to let last year's model go.

tallywacker 02-18-2012 09:55 PM

S1000rr is a very livable bike if you can stand the leaning ride. The standard position has spoiled me now

askmrjesus 02-19-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 506339)

The Ducati, it's beautiful, incredibly narrow and the power/torque delivery on it is worthy of the brand. But, like you said it's the first year. And, given the design using the engine as a "frame" there have already been some complications.

All modern Ducati's with trellis frames, employ the engine as a "stressed member".

First year, last year...it doesn't matter. They will find a way to fuck something expensive up, no matter what. Ducati specializes in "complications". :lol:

I'd still take one over the BMW, but then again, I'm a fucking idiot.

JC

Homeslice 02-19-2012 02:57 AM

way diff. riding position than a busa, thats for sure

nhgunnut 02-19-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 506375)
way diff. riding position than a busa, thats for sure

Yeah had the Busa 7 years Love it but might be time for a change

Dave 02-19-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 506373)
All modern Ducati's with trellis frames, employ the engine as a "stressed member".

First year, last year...it doesn't matter. They will find a way to fuck something expensive up, no matter what. Ducati specializes in "complications". :lol:

I'd still take one over the BMW, but then again, I'm a fucking idiot.

JC

Thought the panigale didn't have a trellis?

nhgunnut 02-19-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 506379)

It doesn'tis has a It is a perimeter framed engine

askmrjesus 02-19-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 506379)

Sorry, I worded that poorly.

All modern Ducati's have used the engine as a stressed member.

My point was, the stressed member design has been around for a long time (the 1949 Vincent Black Shadow was such a design) and the design itself would not cause me to worry.

JC

askmrjesus 02-19-2012 10:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 506380)
It doesn'tis has a It is a perimeter framed engine

Not really, unless they changed the design from what I'm looking at.

Perimeter frames connect the steering head to the swing arm in one piece. The Panigale is a two piece frame, (three if you count the engine). Not quite the same thing.

Perimeter vs. Panigale:

JC