Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Warming up tires on the street? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=8539)

MissHell 06-08-2009 03:19 PM

Warming up tires on the street?

When riding on the street do you zig-zag a bit before hitting turns to warm up your tires? Is this something good to do?

z06boy 06-08-2009 03:21 PM

I do a little but it may not be needed...too much you look a bit goofy imho. My Pilot Powers seem to warm up pretty quickly for the street.

t-homo 06-08-2009 03:22 PM

The best thing to warm up your tires is a few hard take offs and hard stops. The flexing of the rubber will warm em up quicker than anything. Personally, I use tire warmers in my garage before taking off. :lol:

pauldun170 06-08-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissHell (Post 222415)
When riding on the street do you zig-zag a bit before hitting turns to warm up your tires? Is this something good to do?

On the Street?
No

If the tires are cold, then the engine is cold and if the engine is cold...I'm a little cold.

Revs are down, speed is down and I'm not hustling around every corner while warmup is going on. Nothing special needs to be done, just ride casual for about 5-10 minutes.

z06boy 06-08-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-rock (Post 222420)
Personally, I use tire warmers in my garage before taking off. :lol:

:bowdown: :lol:

CrazyKell 06-08-2009 03:40 PM

Don't have the link at hand but our local board had a big "debate" about the zig zagging.

In tests it has been shown to actually decrease tire heat rather than helping. It's nothing more than a personal routine and serves no real purpose in warming up the tires despite what everyone will tell you. :idk:

I don't do anything special. I take it easy for the first few and move myself around a bit so I'm warmed up. Other than that it's business as usual and I've never had issues.

rogue 06-08-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 222436)
On the Street?
No

If the tires are cold, then the engine is cold and if the engine is cold...I'm a little cold.

Revs are down, speed is down and I'm not hustling around every corner while warmup is going on. Nothing special needs to be done, just ride casual for about 5-10 minutes.

Amen! :lol:

Amber Lamps 06-08-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 222436)
On the Street?
No

Or.... you can warm your engine to temp in the garage, do some stretches/jumping jacks and zig zag your bike for a second to warm, clean or scuff your tires before hitting the twisties...:wink:

fnfalman 06-08-2009 03:46 PM

All that zigging and zagging are bullshit on a bike. If you've ridden the bike for 30minutes or so, the tires will be plenty warm.

marko138 06-08-2009 03:46 PM

Just go easy for the first few miles. And T-rock is right.