Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #62
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
So for the most part, we all preach "start small!" to new riders, and yet, many of us didn't do this ourselves.

So what size was your first STREET bike (knowing many people started out on dirtbikes)? '89 EX500
Was it an I4 or a Twin? 180 Degree Parallel Twin
Did you have previous experience (i.e. with dirtbikes)? No previous riding experience at all
If you started on something "bigger," do you think it hurt your development as a rider or do you wish you'd started smaller? As I started riding 'later in life' (i.e. as a thirty-something), this was a good beginner's bike for me.
The 'correct' beginner's bike is one that should match your own ability to know your limits, accept them, and stay within them. That said, 'modern' supersports bikes are too sophisticated - they mask basic handling errors, and are too subtle with feedback that you won't recognize as a warning until its too late. If I had started on my old Falco, I know I would have wound up in the hospital on more than one occasion...

Last edited by JoshuaTree; 11-19-2008 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Corrected color of response text to clarify what my 'answers' were...
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote