View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #48
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
ALRIGHT! I feel an argument brewing....... There has been a great deal of discussion on the subject of whether perception=reality but I can't agree that the "definition" of something can be changed just to accommodate the whim of an individual. It's similar in scope to how people will justify driving after "only" having a "few" drinks. There is a recorded limit to how much you are legally allowed to imbibe and still operate a vehicle that doesn't change with anyone's opinion of what's safe or okay.

BTW I agree that it was a reasonable question until the OP came back and stated that she doesn't care what we actually wear but only in what we consider to be "full gear". As I've and a few others have said,I don't think that anyone will argue what "full gear" is by definition but there will be a vast difference in what each individual actually WEARS when they ride. In a perfect world,with ideal conditions and if I only rode my bike on the track or canyon carving,I would also ALWAYS wear full gear when I rode. Unfortunately,this is not the case and I ride my bike to the store,the mall,to work,to friends,to games,the club,doing "parade laps" around town,when it's 90+ deg with 90% humidity,etc and I won't always be able or willing to wear a full leather suit w/a back protector,boots,full gauntlet gloves,full face helmet,etc. Like I also stated before this subject has been beat to death on this forum and every other motorcycle forum since the invention of motorcycle forums. There is only one correct answer to what is full gear and many answers for what we actually wear.
I don't see why. The question is about perception, not whether perception = reality. For that purpose it doesn't matter whether perception and reality are the same thing.

There are a lot of people down there who are legally able to ride without helmets. Their perception of what 'full gear' is can be skewed. There may be some who believe that they are wearing full gear when they have a leather jacket on, but no helmet. It makes for an interesting dichotomy.

Then there are those who do most of their riding on the track. To them my Aerostich suit might not be considered full gear, because it isn't legal wear for most track organizations. If you aren't using a back protector, then they might not consider you to be wearing full gear.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote