View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #60
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
My friend who was teaching me the basics (shifting, placement of stuff, etc) was showing me on his bike, a CBR 1000. I wasn't going to ride it at all, but he wanted me to pull it up off the kick stand and OMG I damn near died.

I am WAY too small for a 1000...
Not true. I have an older (1990) CBR1000 and the seat height is at least 2 inches shorter than the 1000RR, and the seat padding is five times thicker. And even though it's 200 pounds heavier than an R6, it's a zillion times easier to ride on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
The Final Equation

Consider the fact that this year a privateer (independent racer) bought a Yamaha YZF-R1 off the showroom floor, took off the lights and mirrors, added a race belly pan, exhaust and tires and placed in the top ten at the AMA Superbike race at Daytona. The bike was two weeks off the floor and basically stock (the modifications with the exception of the pipe are required). Since factory sponsored teams tend to take the top slots, any privateer that can break in the top ten is doing well by anyone's definition.
But the R1 is a race bike and should place well by a good rider. I'd like to see them take an R1 and make a great sport/tourer (not an FZ1).

Did anyone see the November, 2006 issue of Motorcyclist magazine? They took a mid-80's Kawasaki KZ550 LTD Cruiser and placed eighth in Middleweight Superbike. They paid $400 for the bike and $450 in parts from other old bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Sportbike technology has gone an amazing distance in twenty years. Performance and ability has almost doubled in that time. But rider ability has not and a new rider from 20 years ago would still have the same challenges then as a new rider would today on an R6.
Things don't change much. I remember thirty-six years ago when new riders thought they could learn on and ride Kawasaki 500 or 750 triples. Very unforgiving bikes for newies or experienced riders. Wheelies aren't something new. Me? I was on my friend's H1 once. Then I went back to my Hodaka Ace.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote