View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Cool, And most jumper cables are like 12' or longer, and my "concern" is for current spikes in the few hundred amps+, like you might get connecting an auto battery to a 2 or 3v dead cycle battery.

In cmos, there's a reverse biased diode between in/out pins and pwr/gnd. When I worked on this problem for Harris Semi we'd see problems when injecting 20-100ma into these scr's depending on the specific design. So if you started getting voltage spikes of anywhere between about .4v's and 1 volt you might have a possible cause for what zed's seen.

Oh, and don't forget when getting connected, jumper cables almost always spark, which does funny things with voltage.

BTW, if you consider the last connection as points, the jumpers as the inductor, and the battery as a sort of capacitor, the circuit starts looking a lot like a points ignition system.
Even if the cable were 20', I wouldn't put much hope into the inductance of the line playing a great effect in the circuit of this nature. I would look more to weaknesses in the circuit before I went this route.

An arc flash however, could expose a weakness in the insulation and act as a short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote