View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #69
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im with the group. MSF, take her and let her sit on bikes and see whats comfortable! If she's not comfortable, she'll never get complete enjoyment and the thrill of a good ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
*grin*

Here's the fun part - learning to ride on a motorcycle you're comfortable with is half the win. I know plenty of vertically challenged individuals - men and women alike that ride most anything they'd like. HEIGHT and inseam isn't the issue. It's comfort level with the weight management - being able to hold it up, move it around, turn, etc.

The rest of it is wrapped in emotion.
I wish more people understood this! People let things intimidate them needlessly, if you arent 100% comfortable and confident in your skills, the whole height and inseam thing will get ya every time! 2 of the best female riders I've ever seen (both racers) were even shorter than me, putting them at 5 ft or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
ask her to picture her shiney new bike on the ground because it's likely to end up there (a few times). With a used bike, that's not so heart wrenching. She'll need to be able to pick it up herself too. She won't outgrow her bike within a year unless she's an anomoly - even a 250 or a 500 will take a good year and a lot of miles before you're using it to 100% capacity.

Meanwhile, have her go sit on bikes - any of them, all of them.
SO IMPORTANT!! You may think it wont ever happen, but one day, you wanna go out on your own, nice weather, peaceful ride, etc. and something happens and you drop that bike, either just on the ground or on your body, you better be able to do something about it. Adrenaline plays a huge part in this kinda thing too but Im a firm beleiver if you cant pick it up by yourself, back it up, etc. you might not need to be riding it. You never know where you might find yourself. Before I started riding I actually started lifting weights and building some strength, to make it a little safer for me should something happen. I know not everyone can do this, but it doesnt make a bad goal to strive for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
shes in your signature
I had to go look.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote