View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
mondos06cbr1000
Kneedragger

Moto: 2006 CBR1000RR
Default Taken out at NHMS

Hey guys, been a long time since I posted here but w/e

So i started doing trackdays on my CBR1000rr, did 3 of them then bumped to intermediate 1/2 way through the 3rd one. Went to do one last one on the 30th of Sept and had a bad incident.

On the final lap of the first session I was coming around turn 3-4 and into the bowl going at a good speed. I was feeling good, tires started warming up, i started to get back in the groove, and was anxious to pit in to adjust the tire pressure and go out on the next session.

Well unfortunately for me and another rider that was not to happen. As soon as I entered the bowl the rider behind me lost all braking power, and ended up bailing on the bike....and as luck has it the bike slid right into me mid appex. Nick was right behind us and has it all on camera (he was going over 90mph and the rider in front of him who crashed into me was pulling on him, so needless to say the R6 was going faster than 90mph when it hit me...who knows how fast I was going haha).

Well it knocked the bike right out from underneath me and I ended up ontop of the other riders bike....and his handle bar got caught under my jacket of my two piece. So basically I was attached to his bike and couldnt move and was along for the ride. It finally stopped before the Air Wall and was still attached until the other rider helped me off. Then I noticed the terrible pain in my left calf/ankle area. Well the ambulances came out and took me in and checked me over and taped me up, and I stayed the rest of the day...kinda hobbling around. BTW my bike ended up upside down and in between two air walls. I have no Idea how it got there.

I also want to note that I have no hard/ill feelings towards that rider whos bike hit me, there was nothing he or I coulda done (except me be 1 second faster)

When I went and got my bike I noticed it needed a few new parts
I need a new:

Swingarm
Fairing Stay
Engine and clutch covers
Shift linkage and pedal
new battery tray
The plastics actually survived pretty well, esp for hotbodies, and im so glad I went ahead and bought them and ignored the people that said I wouldnt need them for trackdays
And it wont start.
Need a new zipper for my jacket, but aside that my gear is good, helmet didnt hit the ground. And I still dont have scuffs on my knee pucks

I have a broken fibula in my left leg (its not a bad break) from where that riders bike actually hit me, and will be out of comission for 4-6 weeks. Might not need crutches long cause its a bone that isn't weight bearing (thank god for my fat ass)

My season is over, no biggie, not gonna go through insurance, will make a winter project out of it. If i could I woulda gone back out today, but my ankle felt like shit haha.

here I am just getting back into the groove on the first few laps

Then...

as you can see the force of getting pulled by the handle bars combine with my weight busted the zipper but luckily it still held together at the top

heres an upclose of my swingarm

first picture is me finally coming to a stop, you can see the silver swingarm of my bike in the background

thats me finally stopped and realizing my ankle KILLED, btw Alpinestar gear held up good!

and here is the video

YouTube - Mondos bad day

They figured out what happend to the riders bike...his caliper bolts wern't torqued down and they backed out on him and on the final lap his caliper came off haha. Heres a pic

I already bought a swingarm for 80$ on Ebay
Bought a battery tray for 50$
Got a new engine cover for FREE
Got a new windscreen for FREE
Still gotta buy a fairing stay, shift linkage, bar end, and new SBK tail
The plastics aside from the tail are good to go!

WORD

Full Akra TI Evo / Hex Canister, PC-III custom map, BMC Race filters, Woodcraft Rearsets, Pazzo Levers, OEM Cowl Seat, Flapper Mod, Sporttech windscreen
Pirelli DCIII's 190/55, Flushmounts, Jardine Fender Eliminator, EBC brake pads

1995 XR250R- Dirt Toy

Delta CO 181 Infantry

Last edited by mondos06cbr1000; 10-12-2009 at 01:29 AM..
mondos06cbr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote