View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Once something is legal, you cant fire someone for doing it. Companies cant make a policy saying a worker cant drink at home, nor would they be able to with Marijauna.

Company policies still have to be in line with the law, up on this side of the border at least.
Not necesarrily. Carrying in Georgia was extended to being allowed to carry a gun into a place that serves alcohol (as long as you don't drink alcohol). A local bar/restaurant chain called Taco Mac made a policy not allowing clients with guns to enter. It can be argued that Taco Mac has no right to do that since they are considered a "public" establishment but I agree that any "public" restaurant is a privately owned establishment that can allow or deny anyone they want.

Same for employers. When you hire on to a company you enter into a contract that both you and the employer agree to voluntarily. If you are a pot smoker and in your contract it says you can not smoke pot then you can either not take the job, quit smoking, or take the job and if caught with it in your system get fired.

I think the prohibition on marijuana should be repealed (i hate the saying "legalize" because that means the government is giving you permission to do it) but it is not going to be California's or America's savior. It should also not be high on the list of give a shits at this moment.