View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #130
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Uggghhh I take back what I said about being too light and unskilled to feel bad suspension.....

I have finally been able to get some rides in since I have some free time, and its not gusting 40mph winds and the temps have been agreeing.

I thought at 105 lbs (I think, maybe i am a couple of pounds lighter) that if I softened the rear I can get more reach to the ground. So the ex husband came and adjusted the rear preload and softened the front by 180 degrees or half a line. He mistakenly adjusted it 2 clicks stiffer than stock. So now I am on 5 instead of factory 3. Rode it around but maybe the road I took was smooth, but it felt surprisingly stable. More so than at factory settings, IMO.

So my friend Jarid and I went out again. I told him to confirm what setting I was on and he did confirm that it was stiffer, not softer. So he set it on the softest setting on 1. I sat on it and did not gain any more reach the the ground. He watch me sit on it again and said I did not compress the shock at all. We rode out to the freeway and holy shit I felt like I was going to get pitched off the bike. Not only did I feel every bump but there was the ripple pogo stick effect that everyone was talking about.

At our first stop, he adjusted back to factory settings and it was fine for a while. Last leg of the trip coming back on another bumpy freeway, same thing. Of course he was on a cushy dual sport BMW so he doesn't feel a thing.

Can being too light actually magnify bad suspension?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote