View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #40
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It's actually almost the opposite situation, in theory. An incandescent lamp provides low voltage drop, unless it's heated up. It takes a fair bit of current to heat one up enough, that it lights. As it heats up, it has a higher resistance to current flow. That's why incandescent lights usually blow when you first turn them on; low resistance equals high current flow, so they blow like a fuse.
Ahh - that makes sense, thanks for the illumination...

As to only the rears only doing it - I bet the fronts have a bit higher value inline resistors which are dropping the 'leakage' below their threshhold on that branch. I bet upping the inline resistor to the rear leds (easily accessible, since it's a homemade deal, likely) just a bit will square it away. Shouldn't need to be high-wattage since they draw so little current - the little $2 a pack RadioShack 1/2-watt jobbies should work, I think. Just have to ID the resistance of the existing ones (http://www.csgnetwork.com/resistcolcalc.html - or just disconnect & measure), and bump it up a bit (might take an assortment & a some trial & error). Or you could say 'fuck all this lectrical shit' and just let 'em flash!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote