View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Having said that...
The design used in the photo is extremely similar to that used by the Nazi SS.
I would think that any military organization having been informed of how fucked up the SS was and how shitty of an organization they really were would be embarrassed to be affiliated with it.
"But its Tradition!!!"

I think what needs to happen is that some LGBT organization needs to adopt the "SS" in some sort of symbol.
Lets see how long Marine snipers embrace the tradition of "SS" symbols.
Officially, the Marine Corps has banned its use on numerous individual occasions. To my knowledge there is not a general standing order preventing Scout Snipers from associating with the "SS" symbol. This photo, like so many others, was probably intended for private use among the members of that unit, before some chucklehead put it up on the internet. There's always one...

I can understand your opinion, but you may or may not have seen first hand how jealously military units guard their symbols. That said, there are probably hundreds of US military units that have symbols similar to the Waffen SS's Totenkopf (my team in Afghanistan was one, we even have pictures with a Jolly Roger flag). Hell, Navy crows look just like some of the Nazi eagles, minus the swastika. The Army marksmanship badge is a damn Iron Cross. America didn't wipe the eagle off its quarters (until the mint started that dumbass state quarter program). We decided that our use of those symbols supercedes the Nazis, that they were our symbols even though Nazis used them too. So did Marine Scout Snipers.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote