View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #264
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
2011 Nissan Altima

I will try to keep this a fair review, as I'm sure some of you own Altimas.

I actually rented 2 of them, a four-door and a two-door. Both 2011 or 2012 (not the brand new 2013 that just came out).

The 2-door had 17" wheels instead of 16", and slightly sportier seats. Other than that, they were equipped the same.

First I'll start off by saying, I don't know why Nissan chooses to include the engine size in the model name. Like "2.5 S"........Like as if a 2.5 liter engine is impressive in a car this big.

The engine has OK torque, but it sounds thrashy and moany above 3K rpm. It's mated with a CVT tranny (there is no "traditional" automatic available). The only benefit of CVT's is that they eliminate jerky shifts........But in return, it feels like it's always slipping. You floor it from a light, and it goes up to 5K or so and just hangs there, like as if it's slipping or something.

I got about 29 mpg, but that was all highway.

Handling was average for a car of this class. There is good bodyroll control, probably via decent swaybars or springs, but the shocks allowed a little too much float for my preference. The ride quality is good and it's quiet, but bumps in the middle of a turn throw it off-course. The tires were the weakest spot......cheap Turanza all-seasons. But that's typical for rentals.

Biggest weakness of this car is the brakes.....They are WAY too touchy.

After being started in the morning, and hitting ~30 mph after pulling out, there is a strange clunk from somewhere under the hood.... Maybe some kind of flap closing.

As for the interior:
- The 2-door is a good looking car, but has a HUGE blind spot.
- Push button start is nice, but I didn't see a way to operate the accessories without the motor on.
- Don't get the manual seats, there is no way to tilt the bottom cushion, so it offers no under-thigh support.
- The wiper stalk operates the opposite of the way it should. It's down to turn them on, unlike most cars where you pull it up to activate. Also, it can be easily hit by accident when you're using the radio.
- The fuel door release can be easily hit by your foot.
- There is no seatbelt chime, which is strange.

If price is a concern, and you find one for a couple thousand less than an Accord or Camry, I suppose it'd be a good deal, but otherwise I'd go Honda anytime.
Having owned our 3.5SE V6 coupe w/ 6-speed manual for over 5 years now and also having rented a couple of the 2.5s like yours, I agree that the engine/tranny on those sucks bad. Our Altima drives and feels like a different car completely. Hate the 2.5s, love ours. If you ever get the chance, you should drive a V6 (stick preferrably) version to see for yourself.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote