View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #24
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomechanic View Post
Except Mazda's, Jaguar's, and Volvo's are all built on Ford platforms. In this example, the host company cloned their product under the acquired smaller companies' names.

Not saying that will happen (hope not). If it doesn't and more advanced tech shows up on Harleys, than I'm all for it and love the idea. If it goes the way of Ford, say goodbye to a nice Italian brand.

Yeah, but those cloned platforms were all for nearly the same type of car (sedans, coupes, etc.).

I'm pretty sure that there won't be a single frame for all purposes. Then we'd be back to the UJM days. Want a cruiser, here are a set of buckhorns. Want a club racer, here are a set of clip ons. Want a standard, that's how they came from the factory.

There are virtually no shared parts between Buell and HD. Those that are shared are mainly fasteners and washers. I was missing a T27 body panel bolt. I called the local HD shop and they said that they didn't have a single bolt that would fit. I said "nothing?".

"Nope".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Overall I like the idea but to say that this will bring in American jobs is a bit optimistic. The new Buell is maybe 20% American made. They don't buy American made parts for their "American" sportbike. Why would HD cut out the current vendors,whom to my knowledge,provide MV with excellent parts and start sourcing parts here in the U.S.? How could it possibly be more cost effective for them to buy parts here instead of all the producers in Europe. Besides,MV and Cagiva produce approximately 5000 bikes a year. You'd have to be pretty hard up as a parts manufacturer to pay for all the Cad/Cam and die costs for that few parts. Plus you'd still have to sell them at a price LOWER than they are getting them currently.

The biggest positive for me is the possibility that MVs could become easier for us to purchase and maintain with a larger dealer network behind them. To be honest tho',my guess is that HD is looking to sell more bikes over there rather than bring more bikes over here.
Buell is working to source parts domestically. The frame for the XBs was produced in Italy. The 1125R frames are sourced in the US now. The XB engines were produced in Milwaukee. The Rotax engines will be sourced in Austria. Eventually, engine production will go the way of Aprilia and be brought in house. The wheels are still produced by Enkei in China.

I agree completely that the play is for territory in Europe, but there will be benefits here as well. I'd have to imagine that there would be some price savings for MV's coming here. If there may be a reduction on import duties as well as benefits in exchange rates. I suspect that MV will remain largely unchanged.

Now if they could just get the "potato, potato, potato" out of the harleys and get the cacophony of F4 auditory sex into their Harleys. That would be a feat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
BAD example,I'm sure someone else pointed this out but Ford has run the Jag name into the ground. In fact in car terms,I've yet to see an American company buy a smaller foreign maker and have it be an improvement of the smaller brand's quality/design.
Saab. Opel. Volvo.

Look at the quality of these vehicles prior to being taken over. Granted none of them have become Honda or Toyota, but they are much better than they were prior to purchase.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote