View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

this was my first try at plastic welding the year before:

Quote:
so last season my lower fairing decided it didn't like staying in 1 piece and found itself a brick to crack itself with, pics in this thread:

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,2082.0.html

Anyway i went out this week and grabbed a plastic welder to try and fix it, well fix it i did...

I went out and bought the plastic welder today, and tried it out for the first time.

Wow it is easy. I think knowing how to tig helped out alot as it is very similar.

I was able to fix a rather large crack across the lower part of my bodywork that basically split it in 2 except for a two inch section. I also fixed some stress cracks around a mount point, which probably came from the same brick that broke the rest of it.

Anyway got the welder homehooked it up to the compressor, plugged it in and and went to town. First i grinded down the crack and took off some paint about 1/2" away from the crack, and heated it up with the welder, then I heated up the rod and mixed the 2 together.

After I was done adding filler plastic I took my sand paper and rubber the filler down to the same level as original plastic. I noticed that the filler rod definatly joined the 2 pieces together good, but I did melt away a little too much plastic in some places, not bad, I will just fix the rest with body filler.