View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #18
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

He DID take down Mir, but he lacks the technical skills that other more rounded fighters possess.

He has far fewer dimensions than Mir. He is much like Rampage in that Jackson doesn't have a very deep pool of BJJ to draw from.

You can see Lesnar's wrestling background in how he fights. It's like watching NCAA wrestling with punches added. That isn't much of a ground game. In the Mir fight, Mir needed to weather the punches long enough to work in a submission. Lesnar has very few tools to prevent a more rounded fighter from submitting him.

You can look at Liddell to see Lesnar's future unless he is able to grow his toolbox. Liddell didn't just get old. His toolbox ran out of tools for which there wasn't a counter. Lesnar is great as long as he gets to hit you first or bulldog the other fighter, but the first time he fights a 265lb fighter with a deep BJJ background and the ability to keep him from bull dogging he's done. In order to be a long standing fighter in MMA, you can't rely solely on "the big punch".

He's big, but beyond that not very technical. If you remember, Mike Tyson was strong, fast, aggressive, and bull dogged folks. If the boxer could weather the initial storm, they would systematically pick Tyson apart.

I don't like Lesnar because he was given a title fight after what 2-3 MMA fights? Yeah it sold PPV subscriptions, but it was shitty to the rest of the crew who had put in the time. Were he 240lbs and not previously a "rassler", he'd not have been given that treatment.

Lesnar is a bull, but not very intertaining to watch. I'd say that you will see a stronger Mir who has studied Lesnar footage and will be ready to evade the initial bulldog routine to control the fight tempo and frustrate Lesnar.

Maybe if Lesnar gets submitted again, he won't be a puss and claim he didn't tap out like he did in the first fight.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote