Thread: Gun Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #1807
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Now, when I say long... I don't really mean long. I mean, sub-500 yards... aka... far enough away for me to feel like a badass. I'd also like to do some hunting in the future, so it'd get used for that as well.

I'd like something with a certain amount of versatility and as cheap as possible. Started looking at entry level bolt-actions, similar to what I was shooting that weekend, and something like a Savage Axis or similar looks pretty good to me.

Then I started thinking, fuck it, maybe I'd just build an AR and use that... cause I've always kinda wanted an AR and if it'd do the trick just the same, everyone's happy.

Thoughts on:
  • bolt vs semi auto
  • AR vs something else
  • caliber - price and availability the primary concern
  • anything else I should consider
You will be surprised just how far 500 yards is, you probably want to look at more like sub 300 for practical fun, LoL. My club range has a 200/300/500 rifle range in addition to other shorter stuff. 500 is only open for competitions because you have to shoot across a road that goes to the rest of the ranges. It's really fuckin far away, LoL. I shoot my M1A at 200 mostly with a 3-10x 40mm scope, 300 is a big difference. When you get to 500 shit gets serious, I don't even bother right now. Still too much of a noob at distance. Most people I talk to about deer hunting pretty much say 90% of your shots will be at 100 yards or less. The guy I sit next to at work who is the president of the Safari Club in this region said he has only needed to make a shot over 150 a very low percentage of the time for deer.

If you really want to focus on distance and hunting, go with a bolt action and definitely go with a caliber larger than 223. I would probably go with a 30-30 for hunting, everyone just has it, hunters/stores/doesn't matter. People just don't regularly hunt with ARs unless they are fucking off with boars they don't want to eat or something.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote