View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #50
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
According to the YEC list, optional engine parts available to attain the full 160hp (Stage 2) were:

Cylinder head gaskets: $542
Induction box case (airbox): $1,171
Fuel regulator: $108
Fuel pump: $418
Throttle set: $345
Spark plugs: $243
Radiator: $5990
Full Ti Akrapovic system: $3500
Race wire loom: $486
Air breather plate: $136
Air funnel set: $338
YEC pistons/rings: $1,560
Valve springs: $1,624
YEC camshaft: $481
YEC ECU: $867

TOTAL.....$17,809.00

And that doesn't include the $40,000 worth of optional transmission gear ratios, suspension parts, chassis parts and quick-change Marchesini wheel sets.

Older Road and Track forks were not made by Ohlins, Sweeden....they were made by YAMAHA, Japan. Yamaha owned Ohlins up until a year ago, when they sold their stake in the company back to the Ohlin family. I'm not saying that the older R&T forks were substandard, but they were not top-shelf Ohlins race equipment. If you look at the gold fork tubes on R&T forks and the tubes on ANY of the Superbike forks, the gold is a totally different color. Tolerances were not as tight, and production standards were more on the Japanese factory level, vice the Ohlins level (which means still pretty damn good). R&T forks made for the R7, R1 LE (and many other bikes) were made in JAPAN....not Sweeden.

By the way...any Ohlins suspension parts that were actual "racing" parts were produced in Sweeden. Obviously, Yamaha wasn't going to make superbike forks, then sell them to race teams from Suzuki and Kawasaki. Ohlins still controlled the racing division, and made the spendier race bits in Europe.

Still can't believe what he let it go for, but I wasn't going to complain. Mark is a way cool dude, and it was great to meet him.

They didn't have a choice...Yamaha owned the company. Yamaha had free reign to put Ohlins on whatever they wanted to.
Thankyou! Almost every company in the world has entry,intermediate and premium products,Ohlins is no exception. Brembo is another example. I had some kid argue with me that the Brembos that came on his bike were the same pieces used in professional racing. I'm like,"So you really think that your $10,000 bike came with $5000+ brakes?"
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote