View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
If you are looking strictly at the economic component, the hybrids are not yielding viable savings over their working lifetime.

Why they aren't producing diesel hybrids is beyond me. THAT might make some economic sense.

You'd have to keep the car 10 years to make it pay off. That's about 6-7 years beyond the life expectancy of the batteries.

If you were going to keep a car that long, the savings would be in keeping a car that long.

What is the cost savings of keeping a car for 10 years instead of 5?

What are the PRODUCTION savings of keeping a car for 10 years instead of 5?

If someone is serious about being green, don't just buy something that LOOKS green. Think through the entire process of production for cost effectiveness and energy savings
VERY good point...
I wonder... if you take someone who owns a 1975 Chevy pickup (we'll pretend it's running ) with a big gas guzzler motor... and could some how measure the amount of polution and harm done to the enviroment by him... and compare it to someone who's purchased a new vehicle every 4 or 5 years.

Accounting for all the emissions of the plants that created the new vehicles... I think the 75 Chevy might be alot greener than one might normally think.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote