View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #62
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Man, if you're going to speak in such a haughty fashion, you should at least be right. You're not. This post is ridden with inaccuracies.

Have YOU done any reading on motorcycle physics?

- The contact patch doesn't get much smaller when the bike is leaned over with the profile of today's tires... the traction is not decreased.

- Contact patch size depends on tire profile, lean angle, and how hard you are on the gas. And with today's tire profiles, at full lean there is still a very large contact patch.

- In racing, how are they only using a 'portion of the contact patch'? The contact patch is the portion of the tire in contact with the ground. They're using 100% of it. This is true for normal riding too, not just racing.

- In a car, you don't have more contact patch because the tires are turned. You have more contact patch because the tires are wider and they are flat, and the cornering forces act to load those tires far more in the vertical direction than with a motorcycle, yielding large rectangular contact patches.

Hope this clears things up.

Ok, I apologize if I misworded my post. I know what I want to say and it doesn't always come out right by the time I type it.

First off I was trying to keep things simple and not start confusing people, esp new riders that may read this post. On "most" motorcycles, when you corner, traction is reduced because of the smaller contact patch that the tire has.

You have an oval tire () and take a corner, your contact patch is going to be smaller then if you are riding in a straight line. Plain and simple. I'm not refering to racing specifically. Just normal riding.

You are 100% correct on this: Contact patch size depends on tire profile, lean angle, and how hard you are on the gas. And with today's tire profiles, at full lean there is still a very large contact patch.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote