Thread: Sportbike theft
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #25
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
How about rigging your alarm to a HID ballast and running wire around the grips? Down side is they'd drop your bike...
The other down side, is that you'd get sued/arrested for installing a booby trap. Way not legal, (unfortunate, but not without reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Also, most alarms come with ignition kill...in fact my buddy's bike won't start at all without the remote being close. I'm not saying that an alarm is a foolproof method to protect your bike but I'm just really surprised that they don't mention it.
If, as the article states, the more sophisticated thieves are using a "plug & play" pig-tail to bypass the ignition, that alarm system maybe useless (depends on how it's wired).

I run a simple solution, that can be adapted in several different ways. On my Duc, I've wired a hidden toggle switch into the fuel pump wiring. You can hook up all the pig-tails you want, but if you can't find that switch, you ain't riding my bike anywhere. You can also wire sidestand and clutch switches to do the same thing.

None of those things will keep a determined asshat from tossing your bike into the back of a van, but they will give you a chance to shoot them.

JC