View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I had to re thread one of the spark plug holes on my parents for explorer, the thread kit I used, which looks very similar to the one you are showing wouldnt let me get the tap screwed in even with thin wall sockets.

I wound up having to grind down the tap until it fit a much smaller socket. Then to get to the spark plug hole with the ratchet to drive it in, I went through the wheel well, but I had to use 2 feet worth of extensions to clear the fender, so I needed a second person to watch the tap go in so I didnt screw that up. It would have been easier and quicker to remove the engine as it took almost 10 hours, for one spark plug!!!! And I'm also sure that I got some shavings in the cylinder too.

In the end it did work, and now, 40k later that spark plug is still in there
Yea, I'm ordering the kit tomorrow as the kit from advance had the problem you and both described. Imho that's a complete tool failure to put a head bigger than the one used to drive in the spark plug. The plug would have to be almost flush with the head for it to work! I'm hoping that this kit doesn't have that problem.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote