View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 AM   #17
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
im considering just buying a cable lock system like so

and looping it through a spot on the bike and putting one end up the sleeve and throwing it over the saddle.

anybody ever thought of this?
Yes. If we're going someplace decent, where I'm pretty confident the bike won't get fucked with, then yes, we've done this, with both the jackets AND the helmets (my bike doesn't have a helmet hook, and Chris' only has one).

I put my jacket INSIDE Chris' jacket run the cable up through one set of sleeves, then put the helmet on the tank under them; run the cable through the helmet, then back down through the other set of sleeves, then through my fairing stay (this is an advantage of having an older bike - fairing stays! ) and lock it. We've done this a bunch of times (actually we'll be doing it today, since we're going down to the Blue Crab Festival) and have never had a problem having stuff get messed with.

The key is just to make sure the bike is in a safe place where you can feel confident about the safety of your stuff. When in doubt, take it with you (or park someplace else).

When we go to bike week, etc... (where I DON'T feel comfortable locking stuff to the bike), I take my helmet bag with me (which has long drawstrings, stuff my gloves into the helmet, put it in the bag and sling it over my shoulder, then just carry the jacket.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote